Clarity

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Clarity

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:20 am

colonyofcells wrote:For our remote ancestors who lived in trees, greens were actually the main source of protein. Greens are actually very high in protein and are also a source of calcium. For our relatives the gorillas, the main source of protein is probably still not beans, peas and lentils, but gorillas do eat some seeds. Promoting beans, peas, lentils as essential or optimal for plant based diets is probably part of the american obsession with protein. Whole grains and tubers like potato, sweet potato are also a main source of protein. So it is quite easy to get enough protein. For example, a typical meal in a longevity blue zone in china is whole grain + vegetables. For longevity, optimal source of protein is probably unrefined staple foods like whole grains and or tubers plus greens and vegetables rather than beans, peas and lentils.

I actually thinks "mmm, protein" whenever I eat spinach. :lol: But I also LOVE beans and eat them many times per week. But yeah, the foods recommended by Dr M, even with no beans, do provide enough protein for daily use. If you had a surgery coming up, or suffered an injury, more beans would probably be good, as the body uses protein for repair.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby abit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Last edited by abit on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abit

Postby f00die » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 pm

abit wrote:...
Q1) Are the daily protein levels Dr. F & G recommend the same as Dr. McD (16%)?

while i enjoy dr gregers speaking and vocal intonations
i experience significant cognitive dissonance
when trying to extract clear directions on what to eat
this plant, that plant has this or that benefit (citrulline, anyone?)
vs. eat starch and some veggies and fruits
and im not a fan of furhmans.
abit wrote:Q2) Do any of the three doctors identify which variety of beans they are referring to?

as far as ive seen
they all just say "beans", "legumes"
they dont delve into the minutiae
of fabaceae
f00die

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:54 am

Definitely agree with the message overall that very high amounts of legumes might put protein stress on kidneys. For people very vulnerable to kidney problems and protein metabolizing difficulties (and especially those that already have them), we need to be cautious.

For the majority though without existing kidney problems or protein metabolizing difficulties - the people who are replacing meat, dairy, eggs and fish with "too many" legumes - I'm no way going to worry about them going gangbusters on legumes, especially if it's going to be better than them continuing to eat the SAD diet. If you're also eating lost of beans because you're struggling with meat and dairy addiction, than that's to be commended, no?

Beans seem to be a big part of many of Blue Zones (people without kidney damage usually) for good reason. Is it people there here have not taken on dangerous amounts of animal protein first, that then leads to sick kidneys that are vulnerable to too much protein from any source afterward - including legumes and plants?
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:47 pm

f00die wrote:"
they dont delve into the minutiae
of fabaceae

HAHAHAHAHAAAA! F00die, yer a hoot!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food