Tired

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tired

Postby Chumly » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I have been 100% on plan since Tuesday. I have been feeling very tired and I don't remember feeling this , except when I have stopped drinking coffee, which I am still drinking at this point. Has anyone else had this happen?

Michael
Chumly

Re: Tired

Postby gracezw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:37 pm

It could be withdrawal symptoms from stopping eating SAD food. I encourage you to keep on going and notice the emotional and physical changes in yourself. And it is good to update it here consistently.

I remember when I stopped drinking coffee about a year ago, I felt tired too for at least the first week. I knew ahead of time that it would be withdrawal symptoms. The second week went by and my energy came back.
gracezw

Postby Grammy Ginger » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Eat more starch. That's what all the plant docs say when newbies complain of fatigue or hunger
Grammy Ginger

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm

It is natural to feel tired and hungry, and the simple solution is to eat more unrefined starch foods.
colonyofcells

Postby patty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:57 pm

i agree it is natural to sometimes feel more tired than other times. I practice "HALT". Don't get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired. I now have found out I can drink coffee. I only drink it black and in the morning. I make enough for 2 cups, but i only drink one cup . This is a life journey, we are all a work in progress. Time and space is a construct of the brain. Know when your food is in check your body is telling you that you are loved beyond measure no matter how you feel.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby LuckyMomma » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Eating too much starch and too much of certain fruits make me drowsy. Eating starch with a big salad or a equal amount of cooked greens helps eliminate my drowsiness.
LuckyMomma

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:53 pm

To avoid drowsiness, can try more standing and more exercise. I do not use chairs at home anymore.
colonyofcells

Postby Chumly » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 am

colonyofcells wrote:To avoid drowsiness, can try more standing and more exercise. I do not use chairs at home anymore.

This is probably the main reason. I tore my calf muscle hiking three weeks ago and have had to spend much of the time sitting or lying down to recover. I've only been able to walk without crutches the past week and I finally worked out for 30 minutes today at lunch. I feel much better! I think the near total lack of movement was seriously affecting me. I am going to keep working out daily and slowly ramping up the time and intensity as my leg allows.

Michael
Chumly

Postby patty » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:07 pm

LuckyMomma wrote:Eating too much starch and too much of certain fruits make me drowsy. Eating starch with a big salad or a equal amount of cooked greens helps eliminate my drowsiness.

Eating what is "enough" starch was a important learning aspect for me which cut out my volume eating. Vegetables and fruits have become sides. I can understand why some people eat only starch to tweak their natural cravings back into place. I remember Dr. McDougall telling someone to just eat sweet potatoes for awhile. And of course prior or participating in a toxic environment he shares to eat a potato before or have one in their pocket. Starch is very satisfying. You make a very good point of finding the balance.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:30 am

colonyofcells wrote:To avoid drowsiness, can try more standing and more exercise. I do not use chairs at home anymore.

What do you mean? Do you mean you stand/walk at all times?
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 am

I stand at home most of the time. I only sit for a short while if my feet get tired. Can also exercise a little bit in front of the computer. I follow the example of Dr Michael Greger in exercising in front of my computer. I put cheap smaller tables under my 3 computer tables. I have a cheap door frame pull up bar (easy to put on and remove) that I got from the discount store for around $15.
colonyofcells

Postby willboy1806 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm

patty wrote:.... I now have found out I can drink coffee. I only drink it black and in the morning. I make enough for 2 cups, but i only drink one cup...

Aloha, patty

I would love to find a loop hole that would allow me to drink coffee, so I did laugh out loud at the above line. Until recently, an occasional espresso was a special treat I would indulge in. After reading the book, “Why We Sleep,” by Mathew Walker I am avoiding all caffeine. It is a fascinating book, that I highly recommend. Matthew Walker explains that although some people feel they have no problem with coffee disturbing their sleep, it still takes a toll on the memory building mechanism of sleep.

Will
willboy1806

Postby americaninca46 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

Good morning! I too am reading the book "Why We Sleep" and find it very informative. People don't talk about sleep much. I was not aware that sleep had so many components and how important quality actually is. I would highly recommend this book. It sure explains a lot of the problems people are experiencing when their sleep not optimum. Being sleep deprived can cause many problems even death. Made me wonder if anyone really gets proper sleep.
americaninca46

Postby Kaye » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:59 pm

americaninca46 wrote:Good morning! I too am reading the book "Why We Sleep" and find it very informative. People don't talk about sleep much. I was not aware that sleep had so many components and how important quality actually is. I would highly recommend this book. It sure explains a lot of the problems people are experiencing when their sleep not optimum. Being sleep deprived can cause many problems even death. Made me wonder if anyone really gets proper sleep.

I've just finished reading that book too after listening to a podcast interview with the author. I've started reading bits of it to my husband too as his health whilst greatly improved since changing to WFPB still wasn't quite there and I've now managed to convince him that regularly getting by on 5 - 6 hours of sleep could be the reason. I had no idea less than 6 hrs of sleep could impact so much on health particularly the immune system - the bit where he talks about a week of sub optimum sleep giving pre diabetic blood results was a shock so we are now making sure we get at least 7 hours.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby KostasP » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:57 am

In the process of reading the book and encountering some extraordinary claims about sleep, I decided to compare the facts it presented with the scientific literature. I found that the book consistently overstates the problem of lack of sleep, sometimes egregiously so. It misrepresents basic sleep research and contradicts its own sources.

In one instance, Walker claims that sleeping less than six or seven hours a night doubles one’s risk of cancer – this is not supported by the scientific evidence. In another instance, Walker seems to have invented a “fact” that the WHO has declared a sleep loss epidemic. In yet another instance, he falsely claims that the National Sleep Foundation recommends 8 hours of sleep per night, and then uses this “fact” to falsely claim that two-thirds of people in developed nations sleep less than the “the recommended eight hours of nightly sleep”.

Walker’s book has likely wasted thousands of hours of life and worsened the health of people who read it and took its recommendations at face value.

The myths created by the book have spread in the popular culture and are being propagated by Walker and by other scientists in academic research. For example, in 2019, Walker published an academic paper that cited Why We Sleep 4 times just on its first page, meaning that he believes that the book abides by the academic, not the pop-science standards of accuracy.

Matthew Walker's "Why We Sleep" Is Riddled with Scientific and Factual Errors
KostasP

Next

Return to The Lounge