Rice

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Rice

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Langeranger wrote:My problem with Lundberg is that I’ve been unable to find it in large packaging, e.g. 5 lb. and they’re unresponsive to email inquiry.

I saw 25 pound bags of Lundberg long grain brown rice on Amazon for $47. They also have 25 pounds white jasmine for $74. You might find 4 pound bags of their wild blend at Sam's Club or 12 pound bags of their short brown at Costco. If you're near a Winco, you could also look there. They have a lot of bulk foods.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby PJK » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Lyndzie wrote:
PJK wrote:
Lyndzie wrote:Here’s my opinion:

That seems like a reasonable amount of rice, 2 cups at each meal, plus presumably another 2 cups veggies. To minimize arsenic exposure, use California or Thailand rice and/or cook pasta-style.

I usually have rice once a day. My current stock includes sticky brown rice, Lundberg short grain brown, white sushi rice and Trader Joe’s white jasmine.

2 cups of rice, 3 times a day? That's one spartan diet. And at 1600 calories a day, that doesn't leave you much room to eat other foods.

I disagree. If you eat another 3 lbs of veggies, that’s only about 300 cal, which puts you at 1900. I’m a pretty tiny person and could clean that up. If the person is a man who is active, that would be totally doable.

Doable, perhaps. But do you really want to eat nothing but 2 cups of rice and 1 lb. of steamed vegetables 3 times a day ... forever? I do not.
PJK

Postby frozenveg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Langeranger wrote:My problem with Lundberg is that I’ve been unable to find it in large packaging, e.g. 5 lb. and they’re unresponsive to email inquiry.

I get Lundberg short grain brown rice at Costco. I think the bags are 10 lbs. or so. Lasts me a while!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 pm

I buy Lundberg long grain in 20lb bags at Rainbow market. $35 for regular $47 for organic. I alternate.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 pm

I buy Lundberg long grain in 20lb bags at Rainbow market. $35 for regular $47 for organic. I alternate.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby debknott » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 am

I have a few rice questions. I eat brown rice almost every day and love it. Right now I have brown jasmine rice.

1. What is different about jasmine rice? It tastes like any brown rice to me.

2. Likewise, does basmati rice taste any different?

3. Is short or long grain more tasty or something? Is there any difference other than size?

4. Is sticky rice a different type of rice, or is it cooked differently to make it sticky?

Thanks for any answers! :)

Deborah
debknott

Postby f1jim » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am

It's all personal preference. I love all the varieties and sizes but long grain regular brown rice is my go to. Enjoy whichever makes you happy. Enjoy all of them!
f1 jim
f1jim

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:24 am

Hi, Deborah,

It's a variety of aromatic rice that is fragrant, smelling a little to me like flowers, and that's why it's called that.

Basmati is another aromatic rice. To me, it smells and tastes a little nutty.

3. Is short or long grain more tasty or something? Is there any difference other than size?

Short grain rice is a little stickier/clumpier -- with long grain rice, the grains stay a little more separate. The flavor is similar, but the texture is quite different.

4. Is sticky rice a different type of rice, or is it cooked differently to make it sticky?

Two-part answer: any short-grain rice can be cooked in a "sticky" fashion; it just clumps more. But there's also a kind of rice called glutinous rice (not related to gluten) that is extra-starchy, extra-sticky, and used when the stickiness is the quality you're looking for.

As a former chef, I recommend that you experiment with all kinds of rice; you'll come to appreciate the differences. However, if your rice is not from California or Asia, I recommend you cook your rice using the pasta method -- that is, boiled in plenty of water, instead of the normal steaming method. This is to reduce the risk of arsenic.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby debknott » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you Jim and Idgie! :) Great answers, and Idgie, your explanations were very helpful.
debknott

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:21 am

debknott wrote:I have a few rice questions. I eat brown rice almost every day and love it. Right now I have brown jasmine rice.

Thanks for any answers! :)

Deborah

There are two kinds of starch in rice, amylopectin and amylose. More amylopectin makes a rice stickier/creamier. Amylose doesn't gelantanize like amylocpectin does. More amylose in a rice means it's drier and fluffier. Long grain rice has more amylose. Shorter grain rices are higher in amylopectin, making them stickier or creamier.
Jasmine rice is an aromatic rice that has more amylopectin than regular long grain rice. Basmati is an aromatic rice (smells like popcorn) that has more amylose, so it cooks up fluffy and separate. Glutinous rice, which is very sticky, has no amylose; it's very high in amylopectin.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby debknott » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:24 am

Thank you Agnes! That was a nice clarification for me. :)
debknott

Previous

Return to The Lounge