Puerto Vallarta or Bust!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Puerto Vallarta or Bust!

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:00 pm

My wife and I have been asked to join another couple down in Puerto Vallarta Mexico for a week. I've never been to this particular area of Mexico and any recommendations anyone cares to make will be appreciated. If you have personal experience with restaurants and markets I'd love to hear them.
I'm not too worried as we have been quite successful at navigating Mexican restaurants in this country but I am sure your feedback would be helpful. It's abut 5 hours by bus from where much of my family is from and I will try to visit briefly. They are from the state of Colima in the city of Colima. Obviously, most all of our week will be in Puerto Vallarta.
I'll be checking in periodically but don't forget, you can always message Jeff or Carol.
Adios for a brief time.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Puerto Vallarta or Bust!

Postby dlee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Hola Jim , My husband and I live full time in Vallarta! That is cool you are coming.
So far I have not found any McDougallers here, other than 1 woman who is here part time. There is a Vegan FB forum for PV. Quite a few vegetarian restaurants with Vegan options but sadly most use oil. Vegetarian Planet is a buffet style restaurant near the old cathedral in Old Town but again so much oil. We do best just cooking our own.Or buying fresh things and picnic. Great fresh fruit and vegetable market downtown and a Saturday market during high season.
Barra Light is an option in downtown ,not far from the pier, and they have a branch in the Marina Vallarta where I am. They have a salad bar and sandwiches. There are small pocket vegetarian restaurants in Colonia 5 de diciembre. Hard to get the no oil tho'. Lots of fat free corn tortillas available here that is a plus. This is really low season and quite a few places are closed for the next couple of weeks. On the other hand Hotel prices are at their cheapest!
Where will you be staying? And when? You can pm me. Dlee :-D Would love to meet you and your wife.
dlee

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:02 pm

PM sent.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 am

Sayulita, up the coast a ways, is still pretty wonderful though it has a tragic back story as do so many gringo "destinations" in Mexico. Fun small surf, good food, wide sandy beach....
GeoffreyLevens

Postby dlee » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Yes Sayulita is fun for a day trip. I love it, colorful and fun to watch the surfers. It's pretty crowded in high season. It's been' too' discovered unfortunately. Yelapa and boca de tomatlan south of PV are really nice. Boat to Yelapa. Dlee
dlee

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Jim,

Another full time resident here. Not much into restaurants. Do almost all of the cooking at home. Big fresh produce sections in all of the supermarkets. More and fresher than back home. Great tropical fruit, too bad mango season is ending. Besides tomatoes and chilis, and corn, can also get white potatoes and sweet potatoes. If you're lucky, you'll see street vendors selling fresh steamed corn or sweet potatoes. Fresh corn tortillas already mentioned. Tortellerias often also sell salsa and beans. I don't think you will have any problems.
michaelswarm

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Dlee,

Now you found another McDougaller. My family live north in Bucerias. Myself, wife, 3 kids, dog and cat.
michaelswarm

Postby dlee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm

michaelswarm wrote:Dlee,

Now you found another McDougaller. My family live north in Bucerias. Myself, wife, 3 kids, dog and cat.

Wow Bienvenido!
Happy to hear from you. Yes we mostly cook at home too. We are in the Marina area my husband and I. We lived in Guayabitos for a couple of years. Nice to know there are McDougallers around!
Dlee
dlee

Postby Langeranger » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 pm

My son and his wife spend 3 weeks there every year. I predict you’ll love it.
Langeranger

Return to The Lounge