Question re sugars

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question re sugars

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 am

I still use maple syrup on my steel cut oats, along with a cup of berries every morning. I read (I think it was in a McDougall book) that sugar doesn't turn to fat; it turns into glycogen. But I am having trouble losing weight. I hover around the 170-175 lbs range and cannot break through. Has anyone seen a significant difference when quitting the maple syrup? I'll do it, but as a last resort. :)
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: Question re sugars

Postby Grammy Ginger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 am

Yes. A huge difference!
Grammy Ginger

Postby PJK » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 pm

1 teaspoon of maple syrup has only 17 calories.

Unless you're using much, much more than that, I don't see how that could prevent you from losing weight. I would look elsewhere in your diet.

Source:
https://www.calorieking.com/foods/calor ... 5NzAy.html
PJK

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:05 pm

It makes a difference for me. When I avoid rich foods and sweeteners, I lose weight in a way that seems to defy biochemistry.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby kirkj » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:37 pm

I put a teaspoon of table sugar on my oatmeal every morning and that is fine. BUT, i measure the teaspoon, otherwise I found my "teaspoon" was getting bigger and bigger.
kirkj

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:11 pm

The real problem with any sweetener isn't it's individual characteristics but the quantity one uses. The reality is the more you use the more you want. It's feeding the human search for caloric density. We have eons of programmed love for things sweet and using sweeteners can lead to using MORE!
The horror stories here on the forum are common.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge