Dairy linked to lower rates of cardiovascular disease

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dairy linked to lower rates of cardiovascular disease

Postby gracezw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 am

f1jim wrote:While there may be mixed data on the use of alcohol and it's effect on health Dr. McDougall does not recommend or promote the use of alcohol as a beverage.
Everyone is free to make their own choice in this regard. Dr. McDougall has various talks on the subject. Jeff Novick also has some resources.
f1jim

Jim, thanks for pointing this out. I agree with Dr. McD about not using any alcohol. I just wanted to try to influence my family members who are not Dr. McD followers.
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:40 am

Seekknowledge, this is great research! Thank you! I read both the Harvard and the Nestle articles.
It is good that Nestle listed the funders. He said this to get straight to the point:
“Drug companies have a big interest in this topic, especially if dietary approaches to heart disease prevention aren’t proven. ”
The first funder is the Population Health Research Institute. I went to its website and tried to see where it gets its own funding. I don’t see any.
It is also good that Nestle quoted David Katz. I like this quote:
“On the basis of all of the details in these published papers, the conclusion, and attendant headlines, might have been: “very poor people with barely anything to eat get sick and die more often than affluent people with access to both ample diets, and hospitals.” One certainly understands why the media did NOT choose that! It is, however, true- and entirely consistent with the data.”
I will spend some more time reviewing Katz’s criticism of PURE studies. It seems that they do PURE studies on a continuing basis. Following over 135,000 participants spanning five countries over up to 10 years sounds intimidating. Next time they roll out another PURE study, I will be prepared.
And also for pointing out the “AG Clips, farming news.” Yes, we should not be surprised that the farming/dairy industry newspaper loves this kind of news and study findings.

SeekKnowledge wrote:

Both Harvard and Marion Nestle (a past McDougall speaker) say that they do it by having poor methods.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... isleading/

"Large-scale efforts to study the health effects of diet in developing countries are important, but this study is fraught with methodological problems—especially confounding by different degrees of socio-economical development in different countries and questionable dietary intake data."

https://www.foodpolitics.com/2017/09/th ... skeptical/

"The PURE study warrants some skepticism"

If you just Google "pure study" there are lots of answers to your question. And it should not
surprise anyone that the "AG Clips, farming news", (your link) is pushing it to market dairy.
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:04 am

I found the link to all the PURE study publications -- 34 of them in the past 10 years:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?ter ... udy%20PURE)%20OR%20EPOCH%20Environmental%20Profile%20of%20a%20Community%E2%80%99s%20Health)%20AND%20Yusuf
gracezw

Postby SeekKnowledge » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 am

gracezw, I am glad you found the research worthwhile. It didn't take much.

Thank you for your follow up on the PURE studies, good information.

I liked this quote from Marion Nestle:
"Whenever I hear the claim that “everything you thought about nutrition is wrong,” I know that skepticism is in order.
Science rarely works that way; it usually progresses incrementally."
I have heard Jeff say that more than once about some "new truth" revealed by a single study.

The other exciting news to me is that Marion Nestle has a new book coming out October 30th.
Unsavory Truth: How Food Companies Skew the Science of What We Eat

https://www.foodpolitics.com/unsavory-t ... at-we-eat/

Seems to go right to the heart of this problem.
SeekKnowledge

Postby gracezw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 am

Seekknowledge,
I like this quote from Marion Nestle too!
I am glad to hear Nestle’s new book is coming out. Please let me know what you think of her new book. I am interested. I am also interested in her older books too.

SeekKnowledge wrote:gracezw, I am glad you found the research worthwhile. It didn't take much.

Thank you for your follow up on the PURE studies, good information.

I liked this quote from Marion Nestle:
"Whenever I hear the claim that “everything you thought about nutrition is wrong,” I know that skepticism is in order.
Science rarely works that way; it usually progresses incrementally."
I have heard Jeff say that more than once about some "new truth" revealed by a single study.

The other exciting news to me is that Marion Nestle has a new book coming out October 30th.
Unsavory Truth: How Food Companies Skew the Science of What We Eat

https://www.foodpolitics.com/unsavory-t ... at-we-eat/

Seems to go right to the heart of this problem.
gracezw

Postby SeekKnowledge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am

gracezw,

I found a short clip from the interview Marion Nestle gave when she
was a guest speaker at a Dr. McDougall Advanced Study Weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLJqz8dzfA

There are more of her speeches and interviews online. I don't agree
with every position she takes, but a lot of it I think is worthwhile.
SeekKnowledge

Postby f1jim » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:46 am

Marion Nestle was a gem at ASW. One of those unexpected surprises that made the ASW's a must see for me.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby gracezw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Jim, thank you for your comment. My first ASW was also the last ASW available. :-(

f1jim wrote:Marion Nestle was a gem at ASW. One of those unexpected surprises that made the ASW's a must see for me.
f1jim
gracezw

Postby gracezw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Seekknowledge, thank you for this! I read Dr. McD's long introduction of her when I clicked on your link. I am already convinced that I want to read her older book in third edition -- Food Politics.

SeekKnowledge wrote:gracezw,

I found a short clip from the interview Marion Nestle gave when she
was a guest speaker at a Dr. McDougall Advanced Study Weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLJqz8dzfA

There are more of her speeches and interviews online. I don't agree
with every position she takes, but a lot of it I think is worthwhile.
gracezw

Previous

Return to The Lounge