My DRASTIC "All In" moving cure. McDougall or nothing.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

My DRASTIC "All In" moving cure. McDougall or nothing.

Postby Branson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am

I am pretty sure I am the worst struggling non compliant person here. If not, then I pity you more.

This Saturday I am driving over 6 hours to my new apartment. And I will be living alone. My house, my kitchen.

I am commiting to an entire McDougall home. That's it, that's the crux of it. If it aint McDougall it aint coming in.

This presentation by Dr. Lim would sure help me! Hope it comes out quick!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58590
1.Focus on outcome vs habit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McDougall only home
2. Too vague a goal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Specific
3.Unrealistic Expectations >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Realistic
4.Underestimating Power of Environment >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yup, and why I made this committment
5.Lacking Support/Accountability >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Made it public
6.Not Tracking Progress >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ?
7.Thinking Just a Little Bit is “Okay” >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> zero tolerance
8.Neglecting Other Core Areas of Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a new well rounded life to come
9.Allowing Thoughts/Feelings to Guide Behavior >>>>>>>>> Nope, got a plan and Im sticking to it
10.Giving Up >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Years of faltering, I havent nor will I give up!

In one fell swoop I am doing most of the 10 just by moving and commiting. Excited to have a zero tolerance home. Im taking rice and some canned beans and cans and will shop it out once I get there, but I have food for on the way and if I dont want to shop for a couple days Im still good.

And if I want to go meal prep /cheap, this young lady has it going on have you seen her? That could be a fun how low can you go challenge!

https://rawvana.com/vegan-meal-prep-1-50-day/

So very soon a whole new me.

Pray for me!!
Branson

Re: My DRASTIC "All In" moving cure. McDougall or nothing.

Postby Idgie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am

Oh, my, that's a dream! I mean, I would never kick my partner to the curb, EVER, but having a house completely full of McD foods and free of everything else? Wow.

Okay, Branson, you got this. What a wonderful opportunity. Yay!!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby geo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Get that journal started and track everything! Its a pain at first but it will keep you accountable and responsible. And kowing that everyone is watching will help motivate you to keep on keeping on. Forget the naysayer's that may tell you your taking on too much at once. Just keep those 10 points handy. Print it out and put it on the fridge and pantry door. Heck stick one up on your bathroom mirror if you have too.

Let them remind you continously of what you need to do to stay on track. It will be hard at first until you develope an efficient routine. but after a week or so you will have it down pat and then its just a matter of not letting anything side track you...make it a habit...it really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes a day. If your losing weight, get a scale and track it at regular intervals, track your exercise, track your food, maybe even track when your eating or when hungry. That will tell you what foods are keeping you satiated for longer or lesser times. Try to understand what works best. Don't be afraid to change up what you eat/when you eat/where you eat/etc...Keep track of what works best and just keep following that.

Its sound daunting but it isn't. its just a new routine you will get used too. Focus on it, but not to the deteriment of the rest of your life. And remember, it WILL develope into a habit that will take you no time and you'll be thinking, hey this ain't so hard afterall. And pretty soon you won't even think about it, you'll just get it done like its a normal part of life without thinking about it.

Don't let anyone or anything sidetrack you. This is your life, you live it the way you need and want too. You are making yourself a better person. Let others wallow in their misery if thats what it takes. You KNOW what needs to be done. JUST DO IT. Have contingency plans just in case life tries to cause issues. Think about these things AHEAD of time, not when they happen...BE PREPARED ALWAYS.

Inside a month or so, it will all be routine. You'll start wondering why everyone else thinks its so hard. The changes will show through and people will notice...here and in RL. Don't brag of your accomplishments, just smile and let them know life is great. Don't argue or even talk about what your doing, just get it done and win! Its not a race, it took you decades to get where your at...but think about this...in just a year or so, you will be so completely different AND BETTER than you ever thought you could be. Those that didnt follow your lead will simply be worse off and a year older in sickness.

Understand you may lose some friends that don't understand your new life, but others will be found. Others that can truly appreciate and admire what you are doing and have done. Meanwhile live your life to the fullest. Pick up old hobbies you never thought you could again or pick up new ones you never thought you could even try. Keep smiling and being happy about your life. Be that shining example even if you no one notices...they do and will even if they don't say anything. People will loook at you differently, but just remain yourself.

Stay curious and be open to new ideas and thoughts...read, read a lot, Take classes. Find outdoor activities you like or want to try. Look at food for what it is. The perfect fuel for your body to keep you live AND healthy. Stop making it the focus of your everyday social life. You don't need to eat just because you are with friends. You eat because your hungry.

You know what to eat and what not too. Its as simple as that. Your taste buds will change back to normal in a month or two. You won't need or want that sugar/fat/salty taste to make your food "taste good". Your food will just be naturally great tasting. What you eat is NO different from what everyone else eats, its just in a more natural form, with all its natural goodness and flavor. Let other stay addicted to their hyper-palatable foods that always need to be more sweet, more salty, more greasy... and more poisonous. Go ahead and feel sorry for them. they will try to tell you how sorry they are you are resticting yourself, but don't believe it. you are living life to the fullest and doing everything you want and things you didnt even know where possible. While they are constantly restricting their lives because they just can't do as much as they used too, or just arent feeling well enough or energetic enough, or maybe they are just finding it hard to stop eating more and more. Trust me some will try to bring you back down to their level or make you feel you are being unsocialble. Its simply not true. Your life will blossom and new things will take your interest. New people you will meet and enjoy.

You will find so many new thing you want to do that you'll start fighting to prioritise whats most important to you now, today. But thats life. Theres so much to do and never enough time. The better you become, the more true this will be. But its always better to have too many choices then none at all like so many others.

Then one day you will wake up, come back here, and wonder why the same people are here that didn't pick up on the message taught here. You will inspire them at some level. You'll post helpful suggestions answer questions. Then you will wonder what was supposedly so hard afterall. Its easy...always has been...

Do it...do it now...be happy, caring, loving and forgiving...don't worry, there are many looking out for you and routing for you...Its your life and only you can live it and make it what you want it to be... others can guide you, but only you can make the decisions... one mouthful of food at a time...thats all its really about...starches, veggies, fruits, water, clean air, sunshine and exercise... I mean really, how hard can that be?

Keep it simple...its ment to be that way and you will suceed :nod:

Sorry for the stream of thoughts...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby patty » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Recovery is like the Sun, you can't hold it back. Prep and cook your rice and beans so you always have something in the refrigerator to eat. You will do great one day at a time. Keep posting letting us know how you are doing living life on life's terms while eating starch based. This is a We Can program. As Dr. McDougall shares it's the food.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby f1jim » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Having a clean house was everything for me when I started. NEVER having anything within arms reach made things easy while I figured out what I was going to eat regularly.
You can do this. It's not rocket science and it is simple.(I didn't say easy) You, like everyone else can do this and gain the benefits of healthy eating. Start that journal and let others see how you made it. This site is all about sharing.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Branson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Thank you friends! And geo your stream of consciousness was pretty awesome :nod:

And I will start that journal. It will be mainly pictoral. I will show the inside of my fridge and meals Im having. That would keep me accountable. So by next weekend, I will have the pics to prove it.

Sometimes ya gotta change your whole life to change your life ha!
Branson

Postby mountain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 am

I am living the dream life....at least in regards to food :D since I am single. No undesirable foods in my house.....but I am working on learning that I can't stock up on nuts when they are on sale......they just keep calling me to the cupboard.....and I am a weak person :shock: :eek:
So next time I buy nuts it will be an itsy bitsy tiny amount!!!
mountain

Postby Atheria » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am

Gotta say, there ARE perks to being solo!
Best wishes for your new life and better health.

Whirled peas,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby MINNIE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Congrats, Branson!

I cleaned house too the day I started this. I poured my last bottle of oil on some weeds -killed them dead :D .

Instead of killing me!
MINNIE

Postby jamietwo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Good for you! I think that will help you a lot! :nod: Keep us posted!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Awesome, Branson! What a wonderful new chapter in your life; I'm so happy for you! You can and will do this! :-D

By the way, I love your username...have anything to do with Branson, MO?
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby determined2bhealthy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:12 pm

geo wrote:

Get that journal started and track everything! Its a pain at first but it will keep you accountable and responsible. And kowing that everyone is watching will help motivate you to keep on keeping on. Forget the naysayer's that may tell you your taking on too much at once. Just keep those 10 points handy. Print it out and put it on the fridge and pantry door. Heck stick one up on your bathroom mirror if you have too.

Let them remind you continously of what you need to do to stay on track. It will be hard at first until you develope an efficient routine. but after a week or so you will have it down pat and then its just a matter of not letting anything side track you...make it a habit...it really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes a day. If your losing weight, get a scale and track it at regular intervals, track your exercise, track your food, maybe even track when your eating or when hungry. That will tell you what foods are keeping you satiated for longer or lesser times. Try to understand what works best. Don't be afraid to change up what you eat/when you eat/where you eat/etc...Keep track of what works best and just keep following that.

Its sound daunting but it isn't. its just a new routine you will get used too. Focus on it, but not to the deteriment of the rest of your life. And remember, it WILL develope into a habit that will take you no time and you'll be thinking, hey this ain't so hard afterall. And pretty soon you won't even think about it, you'll just get it done like its a normal part of life without thinking about it.

Don't let anyone or anything sidetrack you. This is your life, you live it the way you need and want too. You are making yourself a better person. Let others wallow in their misery if thats what it takes. You KNOW what needs to be done. JUST DO IT. Have contingency plans just in case life tries to cause issues. Think about these things AHEAD of time, not when they happen...BE PREPARED ALWAYS.

Inside a month or so, it will all be routine. You'll start wondering why everyone else thinks its so hard. The changes will show through and people will notice...here and in RL. Don't brag of your accomplishments, just smile and let them know life is great. Don't argue or even talk about what your doing, just get it done and win! Its not a race, it took you decades to get where your at...but think about this...in just a year or so, you will be so completely different AND BETTER than you ever thought you could be. Those that didnt follow your lead will simply be worse off and a year older in sickness.

Understand you may lose some friends that don't understand your new life, but others will be found. Others that can truly appreciate and admire what you are doing and have done. Meanwhile live your life to the fullest. Pick up old hobbies you never thought you could again or pick up new ones you never thought you could even try. Keep smiling and being happy about your life. Be that shining example even if you no one notices...they do and will even if they don't say anything. People will loook at you differently, but just remain yourself.

Stay curious and be open to new ideas and thoughts...read, read a lot, Take classes. Find outdoor activities you like or want to try. Look at food for what it is. The perfect fuel for your body to keep you live AND healthy. Stop making it the focus of your everyday social life. You don't need to eat just because you are with friends. You eat because your hungry.

You know what to eat and what not too. Its as simple as that. Your taste buds will change back to normal in a month or two. You won't need or want that sugar/fat/salty taste to make your food "taste good". Your food will just be naturally great tasting. What you eat is NO different from what everyone else eats, its just in a more natural form, with all its natural goodness and flavor. Let other stay addicted to their hyper-palatable foods that always need to be more sweet, more salty, more greasy... and more poisonous. Go ahead and feel sorry for them. they will try to tell you how sorry they are you are resticting yourself, but don't believe it. you are living life to the fullest and doing everything you want and things you didnt even know where possible. While they are constantly restricting their lives because they just can't do as much as they used too, or just arent feeling well enough or energetic enough, or maybe they are just finding it hard to stop eating more and more. Trust me some will try to bring you back down to their level or make you feel you are being unsocialble. Its simply not true. Your life will blossom and new things will take your interest. New people you will meet and enjoy.

You will find so many new thing you want to do that you'll start fighting to prioritise whats most important to you now, today. But thats life. Theres so much to do and never enough time. The better you become, the more true this will be. But its always better to have too many choices then none at all like so many others.

Then one day you will wake up, come back here, and wonder why the same people are here that didn't pick up on the message taught here. You will inspire them at some level. You'll post helpful suggestions answer questions. Then you will wonder what was supposedly so hard afterall. Its easy...always has been...

Do it...do it now...be happy, caring, loving and forgiving...don't worry, there are many looking out for you and routing for you...Its your life and only you can live it and make it what you want it to be... others can guide you, but only you can make the decisions... one mouthful of food at a time...thats all its really about...starches, veggies, fruits, water, clean air, sunshine and exercise... I mean really, how hard can that be?

Keep it simple...its ment to be that way and you will suceed :nod:

Sorry for the stream of thoughts...

This is absolutely a lovely, wonderful post. I feel just as the OP does. Your post made me almost cry. I have been all over with this woe in the past 4 years. After my father died three years ago, I just sort of...lost my way. I kept trying to get it back and it has been surreal to struggle *this* much over the past years with something I KNOW so much about, yet have not been able to *consistently* achieve. Here is the truth: eating in a non-compliant way for me has brought such sadness, despair, mediocre health, and feelings of lack of attractiveness. It's like I created my own little miserable hell on earth for a time. And now, in my mid-50s, it is now or never. If I don't make the decision to turn this around--and right now--I will end up just fat and sick, and there is so much I want to do. So much love, joy, and freedom to experience. I just need to open the door and walk through. And KEEP WALKING.
determined2bhealthy

Postby viv » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Branson, we are here for you. And if you fall off the wagon one day (believe me I do it more often than I would like!) simply go back on it the very next meal. Don't beat yourself up over it, just continue McDougalling because this is your new life. The rewards are truly great and you are worth it to look and feel your best.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby John McDougall » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Nice summary and advice, geo.

As I have said many times "I cannot have one cigarette or one (1) shot of blue-ribbon scotch (once my favorite)" John McDougall, MD.

Likely, your food habits (addictions) flow the same natural rules.

That is why I do not allow even one small slice of pepperoni pizza to sneak into my refrigerator. (Even as smart about food as I think I am.) If I did: ... Next week, opening the fridge door, I would be faced by 2 extra large, extra cheese\meat pizzas.

I know enough about myself (after 71 years of learning), "all or nothing" is my only chance to save my life.

I am glad to know (rawvana) that you have learned the same about yourself.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby DanTheYogi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 pm

John McDougall wrote:Nice summary and advice, geo.

As I have said many times "I cannot have one cigarette or one (1) shot of blue-ribbon scotch (once my favorite)" John McDougall, MD.

Likely, your food habits (addictions) flow the same natural rules.

That is why I do not allow even one small slice of pepperoni pizza to sneak into my refrigerator. (Even as smart about food as I think I am.) If I did: ... Next week, opening the fridge door, I would be faced by 2 extra large, extra cheese\meat pizzas.

I know enough about myself (after 71 years of learning), "all or nothing" is my only chance to save my life.

I am glad to know (rawvana) that you have learned the same about yourself.

John McDougall, MD

Great post doc. I really needed to read this.

I just got done moving in with my parents. Before I was living by myself and had complete control over the food in the house. Now I am living with 5 other family members, and they all eat terribly. While I haven't completely fallen off the wagon, it certainly hasn't been smooth sailing. I am not attracted to pure junk perse, but one weakness of mine is cold cereal. Not even the ultra-junky stuff either - things like raisin bran and cherrios, which are whole grain, with some sugar. However, they are still huge triggers for overeating for me. In-fact, I am embarrassed to admit I just polished off 6 big bowls of cereal, with almond milk and extra raisins added to some!

Before these recent changes in my life, I had always thought I had such good control over what I eat. Now I know I only have good control over what I buy - my willpower is terrible!

I think I've known for sometime that moderation just doesn't work for me, even with "healthier" high calorie foods like dry cereals, grains, high-fat plant foods, etc. I've tried to make it work over and over and it always leads to me eating way more than my body needs. Time to internalize what I already know intellectually, and recommit to eating a more health promoting diet!
DanTheYogi

Next

Return to The Lounge