eating ? for long-term McDougallers

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

eating ? for long-term McDougallers

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 am

Hello,

I thought it would be interesting and helpful to hear from fellow McDougallers on this topic:

How have you balanced following the McDougall Plan with still being human (not being perfect). I am in no way encouraging slip-ups or planned "cheats", but yet I want to keep it real.

I've found the old "foods" to be less and less attractive. Though, once in a great while I've had a bite of something (always at least vegetarian as I've been one for so long), usually something celebrating a birthday or holiday.

So, do you ever have a bite or small slice of your grandmother's apple pie on Thanksgiving or a small scoop of your cousin's famous potato salad on Independence Day, etc.? If so, does it still even taste good to you anymore? By having it, do you tend to think, "Well, since I had that, I might as well also have (fill in the blank) which can lead to a downward spiral right off the McDougall Plan?

Any stories (successful or otherwise), tips, tricks, etc. would be very helpful, not only to myself, but I am certain to others as well; Thank you! I'll leave the "long-term" part (from subject line) at your discretion. :)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: eating ? for long-term McDougallers

Postby Idgie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 am

I have planned days of eating whatever I want, and they're all birthdays: mine (which is this weekend), and my immediate family's. A couple months ago, my partner had a birthday, and I didn't have any urge to go nuts, but I ate off-plan foods in a planned way, and I felt fine about it. Most of the day was compliant, even though I was "allowed" to eat whatever I wanted. Maybe because I had my own permission to take the day off, I didn't feel the need to gorge. I dunno.

I also have a rule for myself: my partner makes us dinner once or twice a week. As long as that food is vegan and low-fat, I eat it and enjoy it. Last night it was pasta with low-fat marinara (partner also had cut-up sausage), and a huge bowl of steamed veggies with just seasoned salt on them. Not MWL, but almost McD, and not bad, and a chance to share a meal with my partner, who is very supportive, but not a McDougaller.

(This is not to say I never eat off-plan in an unplanned way, but its getting less frequent, and the goal is zero.)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:05 am

Mom+Me wrote:So, do you ever have a bite or small slice of your grandmother's apple pie on Thanksgiving or a small scoop of your cousin's famous potato salad on Independence Day, etc.? If so, does it still even taste good to you anymore? By having it, do you tend to think, "Well, since I had that, I might as well also have (fill in the blank) which can lead to a downward spiral right off the McDougall Plan?

I do have a bite or small piece of whatever on rare occasions. I think that having a serious, long term, mediation practice has given me unusual leverage on "addictive tendencies" though. That "Well, since I had that, I might as well also have..." just does not come up for me. I am well aware when I am eating "whatever" that it is a single event and not really even what I would consider to be "food" or at least not appropriate, healthy food. And yeah, I enjoy the heck out of it most of the time. But definitely this is a rare event for me and rare means once every many months, 3 or 4 times a year max..

AND I am in generally excellent health now with all test markers in the range that my doctor has commented, "WOW! Most people would kill to have these results!" That's actually a quote from the last time I saw her. When I was not in such great health, when I first started eating this way and for quite a few years after, I was 100% compliant MWL 100% of the time. I went with MWL not because I needed to lose a lot of weight but because it is the most powerful, healing, healthy way you can eat. Still eat very close to that most of the time, my occasional bread baking is the main exception and that is Starch Solution all the way (100% whole grain and S.O.S. free.)
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Grammy Ginger » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:05 am

No. Not ever.

Why put gas on the fire and flare up all my health issues? Why contribute to global warming, human starvation, pollution of our rivers and oceans, and deforestation?

No. I'm not tempted.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:28 am

The McDougall diet is not all or nothing. I am more strict about it at times, and less so at other times. I usually have birthday cake at parties, but not always. I was out if town yesterday and had dinner at a local Italian place. Did fairly well, but was a bit too hungry and a basket of bread showed up. But I am mostly on plan. I look at this like a marathon, and I am in it for the long haul. It keeps getting easier. My mom recently made one of my favorite desserts, and I was extremely pleased to find out that it no longer tasted as good as I remembered.

I do get stuck by the pleasure trap on occasion, but it’s easier to get back on plan every time. Last Thanksgiving I managed to avoid my sister-in-law’s most incredible coconut cream pie. Other years have been less than optimal.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Having heart disease may be responsible for why, but I am not tempted by unhealthy food anymore. It holds no draw for me and the idea of eating it is not attractive. At the level of damage to my body I don't see any acceptable level of unhealthy food.
Perhaps with no obvious signs of damage I would think differently. I like to think I wouldn't.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby jamietwo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 pm

The McDougall diet may not be all or nothing, but I have an all or nothing personality! :D I NEVER go off plan! Does that make me "not human"? :eek:

My friends know that if I go out to eat, I will order water. :p If I travel, I will bring food. If my team at work has a lunch meeting, I will let the organizer know that I will attend but not eat. Its just how I do it, and I've done it for years.

I haven't eaten any animal products since 2000, although I admit I didn't get super strict with the oils until after my breast cancer diagnosis in 2008. I can no longer imagine eating animal products or oils.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Kaye » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Thing is my taste buds have changed so much that there really isn't anything much unhealthy/off plan that would tempt me. I really wouldn't eat fried foods if you paid me and cakes/puddings make me feel sick just thinking about all the stodge and sweetness. My OH occasionally has something off plan like a small fruit pie and always moans afterwards wishing he hadn't bothered as it was nothing like he remembered and was too sweet etc etc. I don't see the point when there is so much else I would rather be eating.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby MINNIE » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I can't think of any off-plan foods that I would want to eat now. Really!

I am all or nothing partly because that's my personality.

But also because I just don't crave the foods that used to make me so sick.

Not judging or arguing with anyone who does things differently, just doing what works for me:).
MINNIE

Postby Spiral » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Meat, diary and eggs are easy for me to avoid. Plant-based food that contains oil is harder for me to avoid whenever someone else is doing the cooking.

I don't always know if there is oil in the food my wife cooks. I don't like questioning my wife, asking her if there is any oil in the dish she spent a lot of time making.

When I cook food, it's easy for me to avoid cheats. So, I am not always 100 percent compliant. But I aim for 100 percent.

I know the difference in terms of how I feel. If I want the benefits of this way of eating, I have to be highly compliant, though not necessarily perfect.
Spiral

Postby patty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm

The learning curve is very deep. I feel the two interchangeable seats on the addiction bus, food and money have to be worked together. And a program of application helps. That is why, AA has the 12 Steps, 12 Traditions and The Promises. There are many programs of applications that will keep you being humble. This is a terminal illness. No one gets thrown off the addiction bus. We all have matching junk that transcends into matching allurement. Food and money are wonderful vehicles to remember longing is just part of the human experience. It is yes, no (know) and wait. Try for what you want and take what you get. Certain foods are no longer a option. They lose their appeal. We have many wants but our needs are always taken care of. What you do to someone else you do to yourself. Life becomes one of service.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Jobet » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:53 am

When I go off plan, it is just off MWL, not McDougall. My son and family eat McDougall and I occasionally have a serving of whole grain pasta, a carrot dog, or a piece of compliant treat when visiting them. Their home is the only place I "eat out" and I take most all my food with me when I go there. SAD food, and how it used to make me feel, doesn't appeal to me whatsoever anymore. I honestly don't think of myself as being perfect, but I'm simply going with what works perfectly for me. My heart goes out to those who have partners or children who eat SAD diets. That has got to be tough!

I don't suppose eating this way since last December qualifies me as a long term McDougaller, but, it is definitely going to be long-term for me, or for the rest of my life.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Quinda » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Never do I waver on the food. Alcohol? Yes, on occasion I do. Hopefully the strict adherence to the food makes up for it. Time will tell.
Quinda

Postby americaninca46 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 am

I have found that if I stay comfortably full I never crave off plan food. I usually eat before going out where there will be food served. I rarely eat out less I have checked the menu for compliant food combos. I recently had lunch with friends for a celebration and while my friend had a muffin and ice cream, I was able to have a baked potato and salsa with steamed veggies. The only thing that bothered me was that she eats so unhealthy. That being said, I am not perfect. I have dark chocolate and sometimes popcorn with salt and oil. That is usually when I am bored or anxious. It is a work in progress. Ha Ha. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby pundit999 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 am

I am 100% compliant at home. I do eat out on occasion but am able to mostly keep on plan.
But I have difficulty when I go to friends's places for meals. I used to bring in my own food or ask the host to cook something for me, but as time has gone on, I find it cumbersome and rude. But I still eat only whole plants, may be with a little bit of oil there.
pundit999

Next

Return to The Lounge