18,000 and counting.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 18,000 and counting.

Postby geo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey Jim, can you give us the stats on Star McDougallers...total, how many a year on average, etc...is that even available?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby f1jim » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Sorry, I don't have a clue on Star McDougaller stats.
Jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:28 pm

Thank you Jim for remembering all us lurkers.

I'm usually here several times a week but rarely ever post.

I probably should be more active - and I always have good intentions.

So please don't forget to count us in - we may be silent - but we're mighty!

Karen
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I know many members that have NEVER posted but regularly sign on. Just reading the material? Looking for recipes? Not sure but I am grateful for all of them. A few have acknowledged this thread in PM's to me so I know they are not ghosts.
I am grateful for you too Pudgypumpkin!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am

darad wrote:How many active on a monthly basis? 180?

As of today, for this month, ~400 have checked in who are registered members. That doesn’t count the non-registered “guests” who check in regularly too. Right now, as I post this, there are 2x as many guests here then members.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm

"Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests"

I guess I'm a ghost. Or a guest. Or just ghastly. Depending who you ask. I lurked a good long time before ever registering. That was a long time ago.

I'm not sure what value there is in the 18,000 number. It's not really a reflection of the McDougall program or a starch based diet. It's only a marker for the number of people who registered for the discussion forum. It doesn't reflect the number of people who access and read info on the McDougall website nor does it reflect random readers of the discussion forum or the actual number of users who regularly post on the forum. I think there may be more than 18,000 regular readers, but there certainly aren't 18,000 regular posters. Unless I'm blind. 8) I don't know and maybe I'm wrong, but I would doubt there are 180 regular posters (posters posting regularly like a BM) here. There's just not a whole lot of discussion occurring on the discussion board anymore. Back when I registered here these discussion boards were more like an Advanced Study weekend. I do miss that.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote: There's just not a whole lot of discussion occurring on the discussion board anymore. .

I would strongly disagree. Volume does not always equal quality of content.

The discussions are much more targeted, focused and directed to learning, implementing and following the McDougall Program and not every nutrition idea, study or self-proclaimed guru that passes in the news this week. Many of the topics have been organized and cataloged too and so many topics are much easier to find for those looking for answers.

I can tell you that behind the scenes, many health care professionals in the WFPB world, use this as their first resource when trying to find info on a topic. The MWL monthly weigh-in threads may be the best they have ever been.

As with health and nutrition, more is not always better.

Check out the responses to my thread called The Road to Success, Developing Healthy Habits.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58019#p583676

It was sent out last week to the McDougall mailing list and I received many similar responses.

AlwaysAgnes wrote: Back when I registered here these discussion boards were more like an Advanced Study weekend. I do miss that.

Which generated an enormous amount of fighting, disrespect, arguing, complaints, etc etc etc and very confusing for a newcomer (as evidenced by the messages we received. We had to shut down several forums (that were originally requested by forum members) because of the amount of fighting that went on in them, some of it quite vicious. Many long-term members left back then because of that.

The ASW weekends generated some of the same confusion. Many people thought that if someone was invited as a speaker, they were then "approved" and anything they had to saw was endorsed by us. Not true.

If you miss that, there are many FB groups that are still like that.

Of course, we do get endless complaints about these other groups and had to come out with an official statement about them, but as you say, some people like that style better.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:42 pm

JeffN wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote: There's just not a whole lot of discussion occurring on the discussion board anymore.

The discussions are much more targeted, focused and directed to learning, implementing and following the McDougall Program and not every nutrition idea, study or self-proclaimed guru that passes in the news this week. Many of the topics have been organized and cataloged too and so many topics are much easier to find for those looking for answers.

I can tell you that behind the scenes, many health care professionals in the WFPB world, use this as their first resource when trying to find info on a topic. The MWL monthly weigh-in threads may be the best they have ever been.

Check out the responses to my thread called The Road to Success, Developing Healthy Habits.

It was sent out last week to the McDougall mailing list and I received many similar responses.

AlwaysAgnes wrote: Back when I registered here these discussion boards were more like an Advanced Study weekend. I do miss that.

Which generated an enormous amount of fighting, disrespect, arguing, complaints, etc etc etc and very confusing for a newcomer (as evidenced by the messages we received. We had to shut down several forums (that were originally requested by forum members) because of the amount of fighting that went on in them, some of it quite viscous. Many long-term members left back then because of that.

The ASW weekends generated some of the same confusion. Many people thought that if someone was invited as a speaker, they were then "approved" and anything they had to saw was endorsed by us. Not true.

Of course, we do get endless complaints about these other groups and had to come out with an official statement about them, but as you say, some people like that style better.

In Health
Jeff

I don't really do Facebook groups. I have participated on a few (and I mean few) different discussion boards in the past 20+ years. Some posters are always more blatantly angry or vicious or backstabbing than others. And some people are just passionate people. One good thing I've noticed over the years here is less random spam posts. I think most spammers probably moved to spamming blogs and youtube and facebook groups.

So, did they quit doing Advance Study Weekends when Dr. McDougall retired? Or before? Or do they still occur?
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:50 pm

When doctor McDougall suffered from the raging fires in Northern California. There hasn't been any ASW since. I hope they return. If and when they do you will hear it here first.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:. One good thing I've noticed over the years here is less random spam posts. I think most spammers probably moved to spamming blogs and youtube and facebook groups.

Or we gently coaxed them on their way. :)

AlwaysAgnes wrote:So, did they quit doing Advance Study Weekends when Dr. McDougall retired? Or before? Or do they still occur?

[CORRECTION!} We did stop them before the fires. There was one in February 2017, but not one in September 2017, which would have been one month before the fires.

Instead, we now do 3-Day Immersions focused solely on the McDougall Program

Not only was the September one 2 weeks ago sold out, it was our largest audience to date.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby jamietwo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:57 pm

JeffN wrote: The MWL monthly weigh-in threads may be the best they have ever been.

I stumbled across some MWL posts when I started utilizing the "view new posts" function. They are WONDERFUL! I LOVE the support and comradery there, particularly in Amy's posts. Although I think everyone in that thread is supportive! At first I kind of felt like a lurker, since I'm not here for weight loss, but I am silently supporting everyone on the forum, and I mostly eat MWL, so sometimes I get ideas on a new way to do something. :) Its just SO refreshing to see genuinely concerned and caring people rooting for each other! :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Idgie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 pm

JeffN wrote:some of it quite viscous

Maybe it needs an anti-coagulant! :-D
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby determined2bhealthy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 pm

JeffN wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote: There's just not a whole lot of discussion occurring on the discussion board anymore. .

Which generated an enormous amount of fighting, disrespect, arguing, complaints, etc etc etc and very confusing for a newcomer (as evidenced by the messages we received. We had to shut down several forums (that were originally requested by forum members) because of the amount of fighting that went on in them, some of it quite viscous. Many long-term members left back then because of that.

In Health
Jeff

:nod:
determined2bhealthy

Previous

Return to The Lounge