Multiple Scelorsis research update?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Multiple Scelorsis research update?

Postby guyd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi

Just finished watching one of Dr McD's YouTube lectures on MS (VegSource conference, I think) where he talked about his research foundation and the work on MS in tribute to his friend and colleague Dr Swank. Dr McD talked about an upcoming paper that was expected to show positive results from a low fat diet and papers would reference Dr Swank but not himself. I think the work was being done with Oregon Hospital or University. The only paper I can find here is on the Foundation page that seems to show neutral results, doesn't reference Dr Swank but does reference Dr McD so I'm not sure it's what was mentioned in the lecture.

Have I got my wires crossed or is the information elsewhere?

Thanks

Guy
guyd

Re: Multiple Scelorsis research update?

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm

colonyofcells

Postby guyd » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:10 am

Thanks but maybe my first post wasn't clear. Your linked research study is the same one on the Foundation page. It's conclusions seems to suggest that a low fat diet has some attributes but not particularly beneficial. In Dr McD's VegSource lecture, he was very upbeat about the results so I guess I was expecting to see something better. So my question is whether MS can be treated with diet (seems not, which is contrary to Swank's approach) or is the research still on-going and the better results are yet to come.
guyd

Postby John McDougall » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:44 am

My interpretations of our findings on Diet and MS study are found here:

1) https://www.drmcdougall.com/2014/07/31/ ... sis-study/

2) https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2016nl/aug/swank.htm

OHSU continues to use and promotes diet for MS and plans further future studies on this approach.

The results of the study have been a real big deal in changing topics in the world of MS - especially at professional conferences.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby guyd » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Dr McDougall

Thank you kindly for your reply. I have read the material and more fully understand the implications of the results and how these were impacted by the random allocation and group size. From these results, and reinforced by Dr Swank's observations and the individual testimonies, it appears diet is beneficial. Let's hope someone can pick up the baton and conduct a bigger study.

Guy
guyd

Return to The Lounge