Ground Flaxseed

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ground Flaxseed

Postby Poison Ivy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

How many here consume this daily and how much do you eat? How do you eat it? What brand do you eat? Do you think it is healthy? I can not tolerate chia seeds but the ground flax seems fine.

Thanks-
Poison Ivy

Re: Ground Flaxseed

Postby BlueGene » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:04 pm

I haven't done it in a long time but when I did, I used a tablespoon. I bought it from the bulk containers at my local healthfood store. I ground it myself in a coffee grinder. I'd sprinkle it on oatmeal or just put it in a glass of water or tea and drink it before it congealed. I think it's healthy for the lignans at least.
BlueGene

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 am

Thanks for your response BlueGene. I am just putting a tablespoon full in water and eating / drinking it that way.
Poison Ivy

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 am

I buy flax powder and keep it in the freezer. I add a little bit to my cereals and soups.
colonyofcells

Postby geo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:08 am

I don't use it anymore because I haven't found that it made any difference really. I eat MWL SNAP style meals and get plenty of O3 I feel.

In this post from JeffN on his SNAP meals you can see that you can easily get O3 on a very simple MWL SNAP meal plan. You can see the O3 levels are adequate without any flax and thats without choosing foods that are high in O3. And he also shows that just adding 2-3 tsps (not tablespoons) exceeds nutritional standards and easily drives O6/O3 ratios down to 2:1 if you feel thats important. And thats in just ~1500 total calories split into 2 meals. Add another 40 calories if you add the Flax...

viewtopic.php?t=10519
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Skip » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I add about a tablespoon per day to my steel cut oats
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DO ... =UTF8&th=1
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Bulk bin no brand, roughly 1 Tbs whole seeds I grind at time of use. Started because after a couple years without, I was getting "suspicious" to me symptoms, worsening allergies, increasing joint pains, dry itchy skin that was a torment. After a couple months added flax, all that resolved. Could be a coincidence but I think probably not.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby kirkj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:40 pm

I add 1 Tbsp to my steel cut oats everyday, too.
I buy them whole and grind up a cup or so at a time in and keep the ground seeds in the freezer.
kirkj

Postby Poison Ivy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 am

Sorry everyone for taking so long to return and reply back. I mostly read the forum and don't post often unless a question pops into my head. Thanks for all the replies everyone (very helpful). I esp. found GeoffreyLevens's reply helpful. I am eating just one tablespoon of flax per day. I buy it already ground up from my local Walmart.
Poison Ivy

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:21 am

Last edited by GeoffreyLevens on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Willijan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:31 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Bulk bin no brand, roughly 1 Tbs whole seeds I grind at time of use. Started because after a couple years without, I was getting "suspicious" to me symptoms, worsening allergies, increasing joint pains, dry itchy skin that was a torment. After a couple months added flax, all that resolved. Could be a coincidence but I think probably not.

Your post seemed very convincing to me, Geoffrey, and I decided I'd try it. But then, I thought to look it up on cronometer and see how much fat I'd be getting. Not very much fat, but 145% of omega 3 and only 4% of omega 6.

The reason that concerns is that every single time I record my daily foods on cronometer, with no flaxseed, I come up with a much higher percent of my omega 3, and not enough omega 6. Any thoughts? I know in general people get too much omega 6 on SAD, but it seems like we need to keep it in balance according to the dietary regulations. So far I have just been ignoring this part of my dietary profile, but maybe not if I'm adding flaxseed. It's the proper balance of the two, I understand, and my balance is already off.
Willijan

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm

I posted above that ground flax needs refrigeration but not whole flax. I corrected that by edit but here's same info ([from Jeff Novick]. Turns out flax is pretty darn stable whether whole seed or ground!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7470&p=53025#p52974
GeoffreyLevens

Postby landog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:35 pm

I don't use it. I'm not concerned.
landog

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks GeoffreyLevens--much appreciated. I am seeing some positive health benefits from adding just a tablespoon of ground flax to my diet daily. :)
Poison Ivy

Return to The Lounge