Sunscreen - Use or Ditch?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Sunscreen - Use or Ditch?

Postby arugula » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:32 pm

SPF refers only to UVB.

European sunscreens have actual UVA ratings using the Persistent Pigmentation Darkening (PPD) rating. They are formulated with UVA filters having molecular weights of 500 Dalton or more which means that the molecules are too big to penetrate the skin. But USA manufacturers fought tooth and nail against having UVA ratings because they did not want to have to change their formulations and buy these expensive filters. This also means their protection is limited.

I've been using the Euro formulations for decades. I also use Japanese sunscreens, which do not use PPD but have a PA+, ++, +++, ++++, and +++++ rating system for UVA.

The differences between my skin and that of my same-aged peers became obvious about 15 years ago. With each passing year,the contrast is even more startling.

I'll stop using them when I am dead.
arugula

Postby Dougalling » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Eat tomatoes. The lycopene may offer some protection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truth ... toes.shtml
Dougalling

Postby Rosey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:37 pm

I don't use sun screen I find if I drink enough water and eat berries I don't tend to burn.
Rosey

Postby BlueGene » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm

You could also eat sulforaphane rich foods like broccoli sprouts.

"Sulforaphane mobilizes cellular defenses that protect skin against damage by UV radiation"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077285/

I found that study in a Nutrition Facts video:
https://youtu.be/9Mx08jaHoUg
BlueGene

Postby deyang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:48 am

geo wrote:I'm fair skinned and burn easily. I also don't like that dark tanned look and the aging effects in can have over the years. So I simply try to get the sun needed to get my vit D as per Dr McDougall and then stay covered the rest of the day...which gets me more sun but slowly. If I know I'm going to be out all day on a beach or something I will use sun screen as well as clothes/hats/umbrellas and such so I don't bake. Its really all about how much sun can you tolerate for your skin type. My mother has had skin cancer several times and its no fun...so I try to only get what I might need.

Yeah if you are fair skinned, then there are limitations for sure. I am not dark tanned - somewhere between medium light, Asian style. I like a little colour, otherwise one can look sickly. Now a year later since asking the initial question, I am not afraid of the sun, however I do my best to sensibly get what I need from it and then cover up.
deyang

Previous

Return to The Lounge