rolling my eyes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

rolling my eyes

Postby Grammy Ginger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:02 pm

After my aged aunt's funeral last week, the family followed our usual tradition. We had a big meal and get together. This time the hostess hired a banquet room at a Mexican restaurant.

Everyone was VERY concerned when I ate only a little oily Spanish rice. A few bites were more than enough to gag me with the slimy, greasy effects, but I digress.

I explained that I was not concerned about my lack of choices, because the rice wasn't my last meal and that I was only at the banquet for the visiting. Eyebrows went up and heads were shaken. They know all about my strict vegetarianism (not a vegan--not political). Although I love my food, I'm not emotionally attached to eating anymore.

After the hubbub died down....my uncle moaned about his stomach troubles (nausea, bloating, pain, diarrhea, vomiting) as he stuffed his mouth with all the things that cause my stomach troubles and caused me to stop eating the types of food found on his plate: fried tortilla chips, deep fried chicken chimichanga, cheese enchilada, shredded beef tacos, refried beans with lard and cheese, mountains of sour cream and dairy-laden guacamole, and white flour tortillas to sop up all the stuff left on the plate.

I smiled and said nothing, inwardly rolling my eyes.
Grammy Ginger

Re: rolling my eyes

Postby f00die » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:13 pm

thanks for that
sometimes the refusal to see the obvious can be disheartening
f00die

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 01, 2018 7:56 am

Some friends of mine, the husband has gout that nearly cripples him at times. They ask for prayer and of course I pray...but they poohpooh my suggestions about adjusting their food. If you have an ailment that is directly caused by your diet, what you need is to leave out the things that cause the ailment. Prayer is terrific, but honestly there are so many things we suffer from that are preventable or curable by what we eat or don't eat.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby MINNIE » Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am

One more reason that this book needs to be in every kitchen, bathroom and doctor's office in America:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shop ... e-tune-up/

This is a book that I have donated to libraries in the past, and now that I'm thinking about this I will have to do it again:).

I especially roll my eyes at the people who are bothered by your not eating -it is in all probability not the last meal you are going to eat, so why do they they think you can't wait an hour or two to eat something good!! :roll:
MINNIE

Postby Jane29 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 pm

I think it is painfully ironic that after a funeral, your family somehow had it in them to judge you... on healthy choices that will likely prolong your life!

Keeping track of healthy food choices isn't rocket science. A bathroom scale tells you if you ate too much, and a uric acid meter tells you if you ate unhealthy food. Gout, diabetes, and high blood pressure are affected by those factors, and all three ailments are on the rise...
Last edited by Jane29 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane29

Postby Kaye » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 am

My biggest rolling my eyes moment these days is the people who keep telling me they couldn't eat like we do because they love life, that life is for living and not worrying about health. A few minutes later the discussion turns to hospital appointments, medications, waiting for appointments for scans or procedures etc. My Mum actually told me she is trying really hard to take a tablespoon of Gaviscon after every meal and a bomb (I think that is what she called it) at bedtime, she seemed quite proud as if she was doing something to improve her multiple digestive problems. Why do some people think that enjoyment in life only comes from eating unhealthy foods? That going without cake will make you miserable? That no steak and chips makes you boring? I much prefer my life without those things and yes I would rather have an apple than a cake.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby hoob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:35 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Some friends of mine, the husband has gout that nearly cripples him at times. They ask for prayer and of course I pray...but they poohpooh my suggestions about adjusting their food. If you have an ailment that is directly caused by your diet, what you need is to leave out the things that cause the ailment. Prayer is terrific, but honestly there are so many things we suffer from that are preventable or curable by what we eat or don't eat.

It kind of occurred to me one time when I was thinking about the prayer thing that that is already an answered prayer and God left it up to us to make the choice to eat the foods that promote health.
hoob

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am

hoob wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:Some friends of mine, the husband has gout that nearly cripples him at times. They ask for prayer and of course I pray...but they poohpooh my suggestions about adjusting their food. If you have an ailment that is directly caused by your diet, what you need is to leave out the things that cause the ailment. Prayer is terrific, but honestly there are so many things we suffer from that are preventable or curable by what we eat or don't eat.

It kind of occurred to me one time when I was thinking about the prayer thing that that is already an answered prayer and God left it up to us to make the choice to eat the foods that promote health.

yes! but my prayers are for his pain relief, etc. He has multiple health issues, including a kidney transplant, and she has had multiple surgeries on her shoulder. I've prayed many times for simple relief from pain, and a cessation of their troubles, which include more than just health issues.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to The Lounge