New Potato Based Restaurant Chain: Potatopia

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Potato Based Restaurant Chain: Potatopia

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:32 am

Recently I changed my worksite to Hoboken, NJ. A few times during work I went to the nearby Newport Centre Mall in Jersey City and noticed a very small eatery called Potatopia that specializes in potatoes.

Their website:
http://potatopia.com/

As of now they only have 2 locations in NJ, 1 in Staten Island NY, 1 in Florida and one coming soon in Toronto:
http://potatopia.com/locations/

Their menu:
http://potatopia.com/wp-content/uploads ... ebmenu.pdf

Of course as usual and expected most of their offerings slather sour cream, cheese and beef/pork/chicken on the full Idaho potato, sweet potato or mashed potato.

Hopefully they succeed, become an enormous success and spread all over the place!
Last edited by Thrasymachus on Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrasymachus

Re: New Potato Based Chain: Potatopia

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:32 am

I've been to that exact one a number of times (and drove through Hoboken just this Wednesday - Washington Street uptown is like driving on rubble!). We've been to the one in Staten Island Mall, too. That one's a bit closer but a $15 toll bridge to get to.

My husband was so excited when we found out a Potatopia opened in both places - we finally had a place to go to eat when we were out shopping. Those are the 2 malls we choose from when we need to go shopping at a mall, since we live right in the middle between them. In fact, hubby is on vacation this week, and we've already been to Newport Mall and were thinking of hitting Staten Island later today after the laundromat.

Back to the restaurant - There are so many veggie toppings to choose from that you don't miss any of the sauces. Every one of them is either dairy- or oil-heavy, so we just skip them. The first time, I brought a little container of Mary McD's fat-free golden gravy in my purse, but only that once. And those russets they use are the best ones we've ever had from any grocery store. I know they also have sweet potatoes, but never chose one anytime we were there.

Oh, now my appetite is whet! I guess I'll definitely talk hubby into hitting the mall later! I can always find something to buy at the Disney store as an excuse to go. LOL
VeggieSue

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Update:

Bad news for me and Veggiesue. I went a few days ago to the Newport Mall in Jersey City to eat at Potatopia for lunch during work. There was some wall up at their kiosk. I don't know whether they are renovating and hiding the work behind that wall or if closed for good. I emailed them but still have received no reply.
Thrasymachus

Re: New Potato Based Restaurant Chain: Potatopia

Postby colonyofcells » Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Looking at the menu, there seems to be some vegetarian options but not sure if there are vegan options.
colonyofcells

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 pm

@colonyofcells:
You can omit ingredients from any of their menu items. Or you can choose a potato base like mashed potatoes or a very large and filling Russet potato and choose whatever toppings and condiments(the only compliant ones are barbecue sauce and ketchup) you want.

Though I must say the one time I went there during a peak lunch period most people were getting french fries slathered with cheese, or cheese and meat...
:crybaby:
Thrasymachus

Postby VeggieSue » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 am

Thrasymachus wrote:Update:

Bad news for me and Veggiesue. I went a few days ago to the Newport Mall in Jersey City to eat at Potatopia for lunch during work. There was some wall up at their kiosk. I don't know whether they are renovating and hiding the work behind that wall or if closed for good. I emailed them but still have received no reply.

Oh, well. We hadn't been there for a while, and probably won't be until mid-summer. I guess I just won't plan on having lunch when we do go. Thanks for the warning.
VeggieSue

Postby Thrasymachus » Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Bad news(for me, Veggiesue and others in NJ) confirmed:

The Jersey City Mall location is removed from their website:

I also went there again Tuesday the 29th again and the location was physically not there, there was just a wall concealing the empty kiosk. Sadly I think they have alot of churn, they also had a Manhattan location that also closed down earlier:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/potatopia-new-york

I really hope this chain will succeed but its history of location closures doesn't seem promising. THIS REALLY SUCKS!
Thrasymachus

Postby VeggieSue » Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 am

Thrasymachus wrote:Bad news(for me, Veggiesue and others in NJ) confirmed:

Oh, well. There goes the one place we knew we could eat out at. After not going to any restaurant of any type for over 10 years, it's no biggie for us. And we live close enough to that mall that we'll go back to waiting until we get home to eat again. Still, it was nice to finally not have to make *one* meal.

We'll probably hit Staten Island Mall in a few weeks ($15 bridge toll means we don't go that often), and we'll see if that one is still open when we go. If not, again no biggie - we could be home in 15 minutes.
VeggieSue

Postby Thrasymachus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:31 pm

More bad news:
The location at the Staten Island Mall is gone too, sadly. And I was planning on moving to Staten Island soon...

Now they are just down to one location in NJ at the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, one location in Davie, Florida and a location in Toronto coming soon. Sadly it doesn't seem Potatopia is gonna take off anytime soon. Quite the opposite, it seems this small potato based chain is not gonna be able to tough it out much longer.
Thrasymachus

Postby dlee » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:More bad news:
The location at the Staten Island Mall is gone too, sadly. And I was planning on moving to Staten Island soon...

Now they are just down to one location in NJ at the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, one location in Davie, Florida and a location in Toronto coming soon. Sadly it doesn't seem Potatopia is gonna take off anytime soon. Quite the opposite, it seems this small potato based chain is not gonna be able to tough it out much longer.

They need Bud the Spud to make an appearance! And create some publicity!! Too bad. Dlee
dlee

Postby Thrasymachus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Update now they are at three locations:

http://potatopia.com/

One in Davie, FL, one in Menlo Park, NJ and one in Toronto, Canada. I am still pissed off their Jersey City location closed. It seemed to be successful to me and it had such a small footprint so the rent couldn't have been much, but apparently it wasn't successful...

I wish people didn't suck and this concept could have taken off. Imagine how great it would be if there were as many Potatopia locations as there were say Subway restaurants? You could get healthy food everywhere(of course most people would just slather lots of meat, cheese and sour cream anyway...).

Edit:
Btw, in Athens, Greece in 2018 I found a place like Potatopia that also just had large baked potatoes and lets you select a bunch of toppings. I forget the name. But it was by Cookoomela Grill( http://cookoomela.gr/ ) at Themistokleous 43-45 an excellent vegan place that serves gyros made with mushrooms. I also just learned there is another vegan place in Athens, Vegan Beat that serves mushroom gyros. I really wish someplace near me in the states would offer mushroom gyros.
Thrasymachus

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:I wish people didn't suck and this concept could have taken off...

I like people, and I find that waiters and chefs are eager to help me if I approach them in a friendly manner and can make my desires understood.

Today I ate a lovely baked potato topped with salsa and a delicious salad packed with veggies... at an Irish Pub! 8)

I left a large tip. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:18 am

Potatopia is like a fast food style place. By the time you go to a sit down place and negotiate a bake potato at some place like a Pub at Potatopia you would already have your food(if there is not a significant line)... And their baked potatoes are massive enough to be a standalone meal and they have a huge selection of toppings to choose from also that already chopped and ready.

When I eat out it is mostly not some event. I am out anyway and need food in me and I want get fed and go on with what I am doing or where I am going in the least time possible.
Thrasymachus

Return to The Lounge