So glad I don't eat eggs anymore

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

So glad I don't eat eggs anymore

Postby verovegan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Not only are there frequent recalls of eggs because of salmonella such as this one: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/health/f ... index.html , but I found out that birds only have one butt hole and eggs come out of the same hole as poop and pee. Add that to the fact that the condition of egg production facilities are usually filthy as in the one mentioned in the article and you have eggs coming from a virtual sewer. Ugh!
verovegan

Re: So glad I don't eat eggs anymore

Postby SonjaK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am

Your post title says it all. I finally watched What the Health and that was my thought too. (Plus, I'm so glad I'm not eating ANY animal products and we truly don't need them and in fact, our bodies can heal without them.)

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby Grammy Ginger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:11 am

My youngest son and I kept chickens for a few years. It was lots of fun but also turned me off of eggs for life. Same with bees and honey.
Grammy Ginger

Postby SonjaK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 am

We had chickens when I was a kid so I'm familiar with that and why you wouldn't want to eat them. Can you share about the bees/honey?

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby Grammy Ginger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:29 pm

SonjaK wrote:Can you share about the bees/honey?

Keeping bees was a wonderful experience. To this day, I love to watch bees pollinate flowers and have taken many closeup pics of this process. Yesterday, I observed a bee hovering near my rosemary bush for a good two minutes. It was amazing and also perplexing. I also have no fear of swarms and all that. Bees are amazing creatures but also just a bit disgusting. Honey is bee spit and vomit. It's not quite as bad as eating a hen's menstruation that exited out her anus or ingesting baby bovine food from Mama Cow's boob, but it's close. I also realized I despise the gaggingly sweet taste of honey.

BTW-bees are at their most docile when swarming. If the swarm settles in a highly populated area, don't call an exterminator but a beekeeper to move the swarm. If they are in an out of the way area, just leave them alone to do their thing. Beekeepers love bees and do all in their power to protect them. I know it's a big vegan controversy but beekeepers NEVER willingly or knowingly injure their bees. To do so would be to endanger the hive and cut into honey production. Instead, they work to preserve bee health and populations--a kind of conservationist. Beekeepers are really our best friends, since without them we herbivores wouldn't have bees to pollinate all the beautiful vegetables and fruits that we so love to eat. Bees produce much more than the necessary amount of honey stores to get through the winter.

...stepping off soapbox...
Grammy Ginger

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Bee spit and bee keepers don't bother me. I occasionally eat honey. Eggs? I don't know. The thought of eating eggs is less disgusting to me than the thought of eating calf testicles, veal, bacon, or chicken feet, but to each his own.

8)
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby SonjaK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks, Grammy Ginger! Makes sense. :) I'm actually reading a book by a beekeeper right now that I'm quite enjoying; Sue Hubbell's A Country Year: Living the Questions, so I found your post and follow-up insights particularly interesting.

Sonja
SonjaK

Postby calvin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:54 am

Bees are endangered and we, especially as reliant on plant life, have a vested interest in their welfare.
calvin

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:27 am

I’ve found a couple subsitiutes for both eggs and honey lately that could be helpful for someone wokring on moving away from those products but wanting to reminisce. Bee Free Honee is a concentrated liquid sweetener made from apples. It’s pricy but you can make your own, just google it. Also, indian black salt adds an “eggy” flavor to dishes. I’m going to try it on a tofu quiche this weekend.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 am

When I started and gave up everything SAD cold turkey I put eggs in the same category as milk and thought of them as just "hormonal excretions filled with blood, feces and pus" and that basically took care of any cravings that came up. Dr. E is where I heard him call milk "hormonal excretion" but I don't remember if it was Dr. McD or Greger who called it "pus" but those two terms have remained in my head since I heard them and it was easy to add eggs to that category.

I've never been much of a honey eater but I certainly understand how important they are to the environment and how necessary they are for our food supply.

So I'm really glad I don't eat eggs anymore either.
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 am

Pudgypumpkin wrote:When I started and gave up everything SAD cold turkey I put eggs in the same category as milk and thought of them as just "hormonal excretions filled with blood, feces and pus" and that basically took care of any cravings that came up. Dr. E is where I heard him call milk "hormonal excretion" but I don't remember if it was Dr. McD or Greger who called it "pus" but those two terms have remained in my head since I heard them and it was easy to add eggs to that category.

I've never been much of a honey eater but I certainly understand how important they are to the environment and how necessary they are for our food supply.

So I'm really glad I don't eat eggs anymore either.

I quit dairy in the mid 90's when I read about the "allowable pus molecules p/gallon" of milk. I started saying then "I don't drink pus" and I've never gone back. But eggs...I raised a few chickens at about that same time and honestly, a fresh farm egg is one of my "feast" treats. It's been a struggle giving them up. Maybe because of the shell, but they really don't gross me out.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to The Lounge