Potatoes and tomatoes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potatoes and tomatoes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:58 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisal ... 84e14b3a13

"Closing with some good news: we are eating slightly more fruits and vegetables than we were in 1970, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The most consumed vegetables? Potatoes and tomatoes, by far, says the USDA (roughly half of both are frozen or canned); onions come in third. Apples and oranges take the top two spots for our favorite fruits."
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Potatoes and tomatoes

Postby greensheep » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:36 pm

I wonder how many of those potatoes come in the form of French fries, ketchup, and pizza sauce. :-(

As for apples and oranges, they're fine, and I have some in my kitchen right now, but there are SO MANY other, more delicious fruits out there! Some of this is probably a matter of access, but I bet that if someone who doesn't typically eat other fruits had a chance to try a ripe mango, blackberry, guava, etc. they'd find some new favorites and see fruit-eating as the joy that it is rather than a metric to try to meet each day. Same for vegetables -- if prepared properly, they're delicious!
greensheep

Re: Potatoes and tomatoes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm

greensheep wrote:I wonder how many of those potatoes come in the form of French fries, ketchup, and pizza sauce. :-(

As for apples and oranges, they're fine, and I have some in my kitchen right now, but there are SO MANY other, more delicious fruits out there! Some of this is probably a matter of access, but I bet that if someone who doesn't typically eat other fruits had a chance to try a ripe mango, blackberry, guava, etc. they'd find some new favorites and see fruit-eating as the joy that it is rather than a metric to try to meet each day. Same for vegetables -- if prepared properly, they're delicious!

I have access to all kinds of fruit. That doesn't mean I'll eat it. Right now in my kitchen I have blackberries, blueberries, watermelon, halos, oranges, bananas, and three kinds of apples. Day to day, I'm much more likely to eat tomatoes than any of those fruits. I like mango and pineapple, but I don't much care for some tropical fruits.

I reckon "delicious" is relative. Potatoes and tomatoes are delicious to me, much more delicious than say something like papaya, which I think often smells like sewer :lol: . Onion (I think the 3rd most common veg listed in that article) is also a regular in my diet and always in my kitchen. There are always potatoes, onions, and tomatoes in my kitchen. I actually don't eat ketchup much, though there's some in the fridge.

8)
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to The Lounge