Why do I want to go out black friday for an air fryer?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Why do I want to go out black friday for an air fryer?

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 pm

If you have small enough loaf pans you can fit those in your air fryer and bake in them. I think this is what High Carb Hannah does since she doesn't have a regular oven in her tiny house. She has an air fryer, an Instant Pot, an induction plate. I think in her last video she baked cornbread in mini loaves in the air fryer.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 am

roundcoconut wrote:This comment is not necessarily for the original poster, but one thing that might be worth considering is this:

Processes that make our food less filling (by removing water most of the water content which compromises satiety somewhat) may not lead down a particularly good path for some people!

So, if my understanding is correct, the air fryer helps to cook foods to a crisp, and bake all the water out. I’ve made several batches of dry-baked potato chips over the years (I just do them in the microwave — I cook the bejesus out of those slices, and YES they are tasty and gratifying at the end).

And yes, this becomes the problem of “dry goods” — that when you eat dried foods (breads, crackers, raisins, dates, dried pineapple, sundried tomatoes), it is REALLY easy to sit down and do some damage.

I only mention this, because I try to buy new toys only when I find them at thrift stores for cheap! (I know I am only one data point, so of course, please don’t take my experiences as commandments:)

1. I bought one of those bullet-blenders a year ago, and found myself gobbling batch after batch of blended carrots and blended cauliflower. It was too easy for me to go beyond my needs, and I donated the bullet-blender back to the thrift store, several weeks and pounds later!
2. I bought an InstantPot seven or eight months ago, and it is really BIG to make single portions in. (I don’t ever make extra portions of food). I was making larger-than-needed batches of beans, and it really sped up that cooking-time, in a way that didn’t do me much good. I just found a home for my InstantPot last week!

So the airfryer may be great for people who don’t overeat on super-dry foods, but it wouldn’t be a good thing for me personally. :)

It is important to find out what works for each of us. I have purchased equipment let it go and repurchased it:) For the mindless, boardom, and emotional eating I have found intermittent fasting works. I like having a eight hour window to eat. I prep food two or three days for the week. I have really learned how to cook on the forums. The virtual world for me is just as real as “real” time. One of my Clients shared when she learned how I eat said, “You must be very lonely when you eat.” I responded with a smile and said “Ther are many of us we are just aren’t one roof.” So when I hear you like to use less equipment I think oh that sounds great like a minimalist. Change happens. Being starch based allows flexibility to keep being open minded and teachable. It is important to identify vs compare in the field of addictions as there are many seats on the bus. The seats of food and money working together to be complementary for social energy is the greatest gift Dr. McDougall has given us.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:58 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:If you have small enough loaf pans you can fit those in your air fryer and bake in them. I think this is what High Carb Hannah does since she doesn't have a regular oven in her tiny house. She has an air fryer, an Instant Pot, an induction plate. I think in her last video she baked cornbread in mini loaves in the air fryer.

I live in a one bedroom condo, so my kitchen doesn't have much space. The reason I took out my stove was for counter space and drawers to store things like I did with a oven:) I will have to check out her corn bread video:) I still have some Corn Masa, I wonder if I grind it, it would work as corn meal or maybe ground to mix with ground oats to make a lighter flour?

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby greentea » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 am

patty wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:If you have small enough loaf pans you can fit those in your air fryer and bake in them. I think this is what High Carb Hannah does since she doesn't have a regular oven in her tiny house. She has an air fryer, an Instant Pot, an induction plate. I think in her last video she baked cornbread in mini loaves in the air fryer.

I live in a one bedroom condo, so my kitchen doesn't have much space. The reason I took out my stove was for counter space and drawers to store things like I did with a oven:) I will have to check out her corn bread video:) I still have some Corn Masa, I wonder if I grind it, it would work as corn meal or maybe ground to mix with ground oats to make a lighter flour?

Aloha, patty

Thanks the additional info Patty. :-D

I just had a thought, I don't know if you have a burner, but you could make pupusas with the masa flour, and maybe try cooking them in the air fryer, or the waffle iron. I haven't made them in ages, but they are super easy. Traditional recipes tend to be fatty, but I have stuffed them with a simple bean mix, and dry fried them.
Here's a neat recipe for some inspiration: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-salvado ... chn-176284 Easy to leave out the oil and cheese.
greentea

Postby patty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 am

greentea wrote:
patty wrote:

Aloha, patty

Thanks the additional info Patty. :-D

I just had a thought, I don't know if you have a burner, but you could make pupusas with the masa flour, and maybe try cooking them in the air fryer, or the waffle iron. I haven't made them in ages, but they are super easy. Traditional recipes tend to be fatty, but I have stuffed them with a simple bean mix, and dry fried them.
Here's a neat recipe for some inspiration: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-salvado ... chn-176284 Easy to leave out the oil and cheese.

Sounds great. I will give it a try. Seeing the thumb pressing into the dough reminded of the char sui bao where they fill the dough and steam or bake. http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/02/vegan-char-siu-bao/

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm

I made the corn balls stuffed with peppers. I used the Masa Marina corn meal/water, mixed to a dough that I could scoop with a melon scooper, the rolled into balls. Refrigerated as I had to go to work. Then later I pressed my thumb into the ball stuffed in the pepper, closed top over, finished off by rolling into a ball again. AF for 10 min. Delicious. Great side. Only make as much as you will eat because you will go back. They will call your name:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Previous

Return to The Lounge