IThrive new docuseries about diabetes/obesity

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: IThrive new docuseries about diabetes/obesity

Postby GlennR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Did anyone receive tonight's link?
Glenn
GlennR

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:37 pm

colonyofcells

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Ep 1 and ep 2 seem like just introductions.
colonyofcells

Postby bbq » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 am

This comment was rather amusing to read:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/comment_embed.php?href=ithriveseries.com%3Ffb_comment_id%3D1507515612649740_1536070346460933
Laralee Seargeant wrote:I'm disappointed in what I'm hearing. Your experts even disagree with each other. Expert #1 says Leptins in our diet are dangerous. Expert #2 says that is a crock. Expert #1 says to limit carbs. Another expert says that's unhealthy. I won't be inclined to continue watching based on what I heard tonight.

Obviously Gundry is all about selling supplements to make a quick buck:

The "Plant Paradox" Is A Paradox
http://www.eatgreenmakegreen.com/blog/2017/8/25/the-plant-paradox-is-a-paradox

‘The Plant Paradox’ by Steven Gundry MD– A Commentary
http://nutritionstudies.org/the-plant-paradox-by-steven-grundy-md-commentary/

Nutrition in Popular Media: A Plant Paradox
http://nutritionstudies.org/nutrition-popular-media-plant-paradox/
http://youtu.be/qzsxJTTq28c

The Plant Paradox | Health Topics | NutritionFacts.org
https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/the-plant-paradox/

However, not everyone is willing / able to plow through a supplement hawker's hot air and find out what the true motive really is. That's why it's gonna get so confusing for an average consumer to understand what's actually happening behind the scenes IMHO.
bbq

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 pm

The speakers probably all promote unrefined foods. There is probably less agreement on animal products and among these diverse speakers, animal products probably range from 0% to 70%. I would guess that most diabetics and prediabetics will see some health improvements if they start by giving up all refined substances like oil, sweeteners, juice, etc. even if they are not yet ready to eliminate animal products and take b12 supplement. The CDC free PreventT2 education curriculum pdf files are pretty good too.
colonyofcells

Postby smudgemom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Episode #2 needed major editing. Way too long. And when the Plant Paradox doctor bashing by our beloved Dr. Campbell started, I winced a little bit. I found myself fast forwarding near the end...but not until Dr. Fung specially said what was not working (to reduce obesity) was counting calories & reducing fat. Wow....really, really curious to see how the producer weaves the fat-is-king, sugar-is-causing-diabetes thought of Drs. Fung, Luswig, Mercola in the upcoming episodes. Wonder if Campbell/Esselstyn/McDougall/Chef AJ, etc knew their words were going to be intertwined with Luswig & Fung? Kinda feel icky giving my time to these dudes.
smudgemom

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 am

Ep 3 seems to be mainly about being against the atkins diet and the keto diet.
colonyofcells

Postby Kaye » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 pm

I really enjoyed episode 3, learnt quite a few things I hadn't previously known or thought about and loved the amount of time Dr McDougall, Barnard, Greger and Fuhrman had.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Ep 4 unfortunately has naturalnews mike adams who is a source of all sorts of pseudoscience similar to Dr Mercola, Dr Oz and food babe.
The main diet is from Rip Esselstyn who is stricter on nuts and only allows walnuts. Rip taught a sort of maximum weight loss diet where calorie density is from 100 to 600 so even whole grain breads will not be allowed altho these details are missing in the short video. The need for vitamin b12 supplement was mentioned by one of the speakers.
colonyofcells

Postby gracezw » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:51 am

Yes Episode 1 is scary. I am at Episode 4.

In Episode 1 they talked about people's diabetes go so bad that they go blind and have amputations. I wonder when would that happen? Does it happen when the patient lets his A1C stay at 9 for a long time?

GlennR wrote:I think that the presentation could have been tightened up quite a bit, easily losing twenty minutes or so of redundant material. I hope that the whole series isn't paced the same or it will seem very long to me. Never the less, there was enough information to scare the heck out of me so they accomplished what they wanted.
gracezw

Postby Kaye » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 am

gracezw wrote:Yes Episode 1 is scary. I am at Episode 4.

In Episode 1 they talked about people's diabetes go so bad that they go blind and have amputations. I wonder when would that happen? Does it happen when the patient lets his A1C stay at 9 for a long time?

GlennR wrote:I think that the presentation could have been tightened up quite a bit, easily losing twenty minutes or so of redundant material. I hope that the whole series isn't paced the same or it will seem very long to me. Never the less, there was enough information to scare the heck out of me so they accomplished what they wanted.

In episode 3 they talked about a curve of when complications start to kick in, I can't remember the exact numbers but basically as the A1C was getting higher so was the risk of complications developing. I've ordered the series to keep so when it comes through I'll look back and read the lecture notes and come back and let you know exactly what he said.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby gracezw » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Kaye, thank you for this!

I watched episode 3 too. I probably have missed it but I don't recall that curve of when complications start to kick in. Let me know when you find out. I don't know why I missed it because I have two computer screens in front of me, one for the video, and the other for taking notes, and I paused it when I took notes.

I purchased the earlier Mastering Diabetes Summit. I haven't watched all of it yet.

Kaye wrote:
gracezw wrote:Yes Episode 1 is scary. I am at Episode 4.

In episode 3 they talked about a curve of when complications start to kick in, I can't remember the exact numbers but basically as the A1C was getting higher so was the risk of complications developing. I've ordered the series to keep so when it comes through I'll look back and read the lecture notes and come back and let you know exactly what he said.
gracezw

Postby calvin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

I am not diabetic but am following and loving the whole Mastering Diabetes program. It is a classic example of the fact that when something is truly understood, it is easy to explain.
calvin

Postby patty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 am

I just caught episode 5. The series sounds like a take off of A Truth About Cancer: A Global Quest.They too put the episodes up for free for a limited time. When sharing about SOS, it is important to share about the combination of SOS (processed foods). The addiction mind is so strong, it is like driving 90 miles a hour into the wall of a hurricane. Food is not a all or nothing disease. Food addiction is a expensive share because it leaves no one out as is a body, mind and social disease. It is cultivating something someone wants. That is what Dr. McDougall has done as he has created a place for social energy to flow. We are very blessed to be able to witness and be open to learn from all threads knitted together in the wall of the mind's hurricane.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 am

Some pseudoscience in ep 5 where 1 speaker demonizes all types of flour including whole wheat flour (Christians who believe Jesus is the bread of life must be scratching their heads). I would guess that it will be difficult to get hispanics to give up corn tortillas and to get people from India to give up whole wheat flat bread and steamed whole grain rice cakes, and to get chinese to give up whole wheat steamed bread and boiled whole grain rice balls, and mainstream science consensus does agree such traditional whole foods are healthy. Bright Line Eating also relies on controlling quantity rather than on calorie density. Based on my own experience, it is easy to eat healthy once you get some serious disease and in my case it was prediabetes, so I am not sure why so many speakers claim that eating healthy is super difficult. So far, I have been able to get to bmi 19 without giving up salt altho I do dream of giving up salt in the future to avoid some diseases.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
colonyofcells

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge