IThrive new docuseries about diabetes/obesity

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: IThrive new docuseries about diabetes/obesity

Postby gracezw » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:52 am

Susan Pierce Thompson's personal story is incredible! She shared that she used to be obese in her 20's.

These are her own words:

“Nobody understands food addiction. It is a profoundly embarrassing and shameful thing to be afflicted with. if you haven’t had it, yourself you don’t understand. I can’t eat that cookie because you don’t have enough cookies on that plate for me. 30 people. Only 40 cookies. I want all of them. I would hide them in my purse and go to the bathroom eating them while sitting on the toilet. Other people hardly notice the cookies. Maybe grab one on a napkin. Half eating one while continuing their conversation. The brain of a food addict is completely different. Isolation. I want to be alone. I want to pull down the shades, hide and procrastinate and eat and shut out the world. Only food and books are allowed in the cave. (Sugary food addiction) is the mostly profoundly isolating shameful hidden disease. You need more and wish the whole family will go away and you will keep eating.”

I can certainly relate to that. I know that if I don't plan, follow the plan and meditate, I can eat all day without stopping, even healthy foods like fruits and sweet potatoes. Fortunately my higher self is able to take charge.

patty wrote:I just caught episode 5. ... The addiction mind is so strong, it is like driving 90 miles a hour into the wall of a hurricane. Food is not a all or nothing disease. Food addiction is a expensive share because it leaves no one out as is a body, mind and social disease. It is cultivating something someone wants. ...

Aloha, patty
gracezw

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 am

I really enjoyed last night's episode, number 5 I think? I was really impressed with the talk by the Bright Line Eating woman. I had mixed feelings about her, because I had heard that she advocates portion control, but after hearing her talk I am inclined to check out her book. Alan Goldhammer was gold, as always. He starts out so calm, then slowly starts getting fired up. He's great.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby gracezw » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 am

That is good to know! I was exposed to the Bright Line Eating, but I was not impressed until just now I heard her own personal story in episode 5. I was so impressed that I bought her book. She is one of the only 1% of obese people who are successful in sustainable weight loss. At least 20% of people who have cocaine or heroin addiction can be successful. She argues that food addiction is way way harder than cocaine or heroin addiction to quit and to stay quit from. That is an eye opener for me. I need her example as an effective constant reminder for myself. I have never been obese -- I am very thankful for that. In the past I was maybe 7 pounds overweight at the most. But I know that I have an addictive brain even for healthy foods like sweet potatoes and fruit items. Portion control is an essential part of my planning.

Lyndzie wrote:I really enjoyed last night's episode, number 5 I think? I was really impressed with the talk by the Bright Line Eating woman. I had mixed feelings about her, because I had heard that she advocates portion control, but after hearing her talk I am inclined to check out her book. Alan Goldhammer was gold, as always. He starts out so calm, then slowly starts getting fired up. He's great.
gracezw

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am

In ep 5, Alan seems to be mispronouncing resveratrol. The chiropractor Alan Goldhamer diet seems very similar to the Dr mcdougall diet since Alan did mention grains as part of the foods he is promoting and he uses calorie density same as Rip Esselstyn in ep 4.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby patty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm

gracezw wrote:Susan Pierce Thompson's personal story is incredible! She shared that she used to be obese in her 20's.

These are her own words:

“Nobody understands food addiction. It is a profoundly embarrassing and shameful thing to be afflicted with. if you haven’t had it, yourself you don’t understand. I can’t eat that cookie because you don’t have enough cookies on that plate for me. 30 people. Only 40 cookies. I want all of them. I would hide them in my purse and go to the bathroom eating them while sitting on the toilet. Other people hardly notice the cookies. Maybe grab one on a napkin. Half eating one while continuing their conversation. The brain of a food addict is completely different. Isolation. I want to be alone. I want to pull down the shades, hide and procrastinate and eat and shut out the world. Only food and books are allowed in the cave. (Sugary food addiction) is the mostly profoundly isolating shameful hidden disease. You need more and wish the whole family will go away and you will keep eating.”

I can certainly relate to that. I know that if I don't plan, follow the plan and meditate, I can eat all day without stopping, even healthy foods like fruits and sweet potatoes. Fortunately my higher self is able to take charge.

patty wrote:I just caught episode 5. ... The addiction mind is so strong, it is like driving 90 miles a hour into the wall of a hurricane. Food is not a all or nothing disease. Food addiction is a expensive share because it leaves no one out as is a body, mind and social disease. It is cultivating something someone wants. ...

Aloha, patty

I remember at a OA meeting in SF Ca., decades ago binge vomiter sharing she moved her mattress, as close as she could to the toilet. Many of my girlfriends in AA were binge vomiters. Women are put under so much pressure because of "body image". In AA there are people who have been sober for mega years, but you don't want what they have. I have found food addiction the hardest of addictions. They say the new comers have it all, because they remind you what it was like out there. Starch tweaks the system to put first things first.

Edit to cut out information about "The Body Has a Mind of its Own, by Sandra and Mathew Blakeslee because it might take away from the thread.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Ep 6 is probably similar to the interviews done by Gustavo and Chef AJ.
colonyofcells

Postby Kaye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:51 am

Lyndzie wrote:I really enjoyed last night's episode, number 5 I think? I was really impressed with the talk by the Bright Line Eating woman. I had mixed feelings about her, because I had heard that she advocates portion control, but after hearing her talk I am inclined to check out her book. Alan Goldhammer was gold, as always. He starts out so calm, then slowly starts getting fired up. He's great.

I've ordered her book too, I found her very interesting and inspiring but not sure how I feel about her classing flour as a drug and how that fits in with the Starch Solution. Guess I will have to read the book and see.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 am

I can see how refined products can be a problem for some people. I can eat pasta just fine, but can over do it on white bread, like french baguettes. And, most white flour products also have sugar and/or fat.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Kaye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am

Lyndzie wrote:I can see how refined products can be a problem for some people. I can eat pasta just fine, but can over do it on white bread, like french baguettes. And, most white flour products also have sugar and/or fat.

Yes I can see how refined flour is often used as a vehicle for SOS but to me that is a bit like calling potatoes unhealthy because of the way a lot of people choose to cook or serve them.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby Kaye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Just realised I haven't had the link through for episode 6.
Kaye

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

For ep 7, the main cause of obesity is probably the food rather than the toxins that the speaker suspects such as BPA. I still buy canned food but I am not becoming obese. Hearing the word detox is usually a sign of pseudoscience such as the claim that vaccines cause all sorts of diseases. Pesticides and gmo foods are probably not causing obesity. I heard even organic foods are allowed to use some approved pesticides.
colonyofcells

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 pm

In ep 8, one contradiction I saw in the message of Dr Fung was he praises plant based diets that come with lots of fiber but he also allows plenty of animal products even though all animal products have 0 fiber.
colonyofcells

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 am

In her marshall islands study, early on, nutritionist Brenda Davis saw the problem of high blood sugar levels which is probably normal since the diabetics have not lost much weight yet in the early stages, so she resorted to using mainly beans and greens, and also resorted to portion control on the whole grains like barley. To help bring done blood sugar levels, I tend to do more exercise like what is recommended by nutritionist brenda davis and dr wes youngberg. Brenda Davis favors whole grains like barley and tubers rather than whole grain flour so it is similar to the maximum weight loss diet. Islanders traditional diet includes breadfruit which is a fruit but is very similar to cassava. Brenda Davis also used high fiber supplements in the marshall islands like flax powder (also for omega 3), psyllium husk powder, guar gum powder. For people who prefer whole foods, can also buy psyllium seed powder from the internet which is probably more nutritious than psyllium husk powder. The native tubers of islanders are taro and yam (dioscorea) like purple yam (dioscorea alata). There are lots of theories on how islanders got the sweet potato from south america before the time of Columbus. The traditional diet of the marshall islands included plenty of coconuts (similar to the kitava islander diet of papua new guinea) and plenty of pandanus fruits.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
colonyofcells

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm

colonyofcells wrote:For ep 7, the main cause of obesity is probably the food rather than the toxins that the speaker suspects such as BPA. I still buy canned food but I am not becoming obese. Hearing the word detox is usually a sign of pseudoscience such as the claim that vaccines cause all sorts of diseases. Pesticides and gmo foods are probably not causing obesity. I heard even organic foods are allowed to use some approved pesticides.

I'm with you on this. While pollutants are an issue, the main problem is the food. Get the food right, and many problems get improved.

Organic does not mean no pesticides. It just means no persistent pesticides. I buy organic pesticides for my garden. The produce is safe to eat 24 hours later, whereas some of the persistent pesticides make food unsafe for up to 7 days.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge