Vegans in Poverty - Cheap Tricks!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegans in Poverty - Cheap Tricks!

Postby Bougainvillea » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am

I am a super low income senior, living below the poverty line. I am blessed that we have subsidies in this city/state/country for people in my situation.

One of the challenges, though, when you're on a very low income, is food. Now that I'm on a starch-based, low fat vegan diet, it's easier as rice and beans are cheap.

But, it can still be tricky. I'd eat a LOT more veggies if I could afford them. I live in a great subsidized senior apartment in San Jose, CA with a tiny balcony. Growing my own food is not a viable option on any real scale, though I do plan on growing some tomatoes, at least, next year.

When I first started learning about whole food-plant based diets, and watched some videos, including Rip Esselstyn's, where they go on huge Whole Foods shopping sprees, where even the peppers they are picking up cost at least a dollar a piece, my mind is going cha-ching, cha-ching, I can't afford that!

So, I was sooooooo excited to find Dr. McDougall's plan! Starch is affordable. And it's good!

Still, I don't want to just eat starch, and adding veggies and other things are a challenge.

So, this thread is for tips on doing this diet/lifestyle on a budget. The more ideas the better - I'd really appreciate it and I bet others would, too. I'll be sharing mine as I think of them. Cheers! Boogie (Karen)
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Re: Vegans in Poverty - Cheap Tricks!

Postby Bougainvillea » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

I was inspired by a video with Mary McDougall showing how she makes burritos and she mentioned they always put sprouts in their burritos and I thought - brilliant! An affordable way to add more greens to my diet.

So, I took a couple of my canning jars and put some lentils in them. I cut up a plastic mesh bag that I had in the drawer that originally had lemons in it from the grocers. Folded it over once on each jar, and used a canning jar band to hold it in place - voila! free strainer. Filled them up with distilled water (hard water keeps them from sprouting or getting soft when you cook them, so if your tap water is hard, you might want to get some distilled water). Let them sit overnight in the water. Then, I just rinse them once a day. Once they sprouted nicely, I switched to just rinsing them with tap water, and they are doing fine. Since I have to pay for distilled water, I wanted to minimize using it if I could.

It's been around 4 or 5 days now, I think, and I ate some this morning in my breakfast tacos and they were great! Here's a pic:

http://prntscr.com/gy518b

I put way more lentils in the jars than I should have lol. They really expand. At any rate, I get free lentils all the time from the food bank, so these greens are free! But, even still, you can buy a pound of lentils for around a dollar and that would probably keep you in sprouts for a year. And I can add them to my breakfast tacos every day, and to sandwiches, etc. I plan on keeping sprouts going constantly, and will try different types of seeds eventually.

As I recall from my hippy days, many moons ago, radish seeds made for yummy sprouts.

Anyway - for free/cheap greens - sprouts!
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby patty » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Amazing sprouts and picture. California as we all need, all the inspiration for renewal of a new budding economy. Starts with one.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Bougainvillea wrote:I am a super low income senior, living below the poverty line. I am blessed that we have subsidies in this city/state/country for people in my situation.

One of the challenges, though, when you're on a very low income, is food. Now that I'm on a starch-based, low fat vegan diet, it's easier as rice and beans are cheap.

But, it can still be tricky. I'd eat a LOT more veggies if I could afford them. I live in a great subsidized senior apartment in San Jose, CA with a tiny balcony. Growing my own food is not a viable option on any real scale, though I do plan on growing some tomatoes, at least, next year.

When I first started learning about whole food-plant based diets, and watched some videos, including Rip Esselstyn's, where they go on huge Whole Foods shopping sprees, where even the peppers they are picking up cost at least a dollar a piece, my mind is going cha-ching, cha-ching, I can't afford that!

So, I was sooooooo excited to find Dr. McDougall's plan! Starch is affordable. And it's good!

Still, I don't want to just eat starch, and adding veggies and other things are a challenge.

So, this thread is for tips on doing this diet/lifestyle on a budget. The more ideas the better - I'd really appreciate it and I bet others would, too. I'll be sharing mine as I think of them. Cheers! Boogie (Karen)

For inexpensive fresh produce, I'd say locate an Asian grocery store. Alternatively, a Mexican grocery store. Both typically have lower priced produce than regular grocery stores. Some dollar stores also carry produce, and you might find some good deals there.

This link shows some Asian grocery stores in San Jose, CA: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=A ... Jose%2C+CA

This link shows some Mexican grocery stores in San Jose, CA: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=M ... Jose%2C+CA

Winco and Sprouts also have some reasonably-priced produce, if either of those stores are near you. They also have bulk bin sections, as do Mexican stores generally. White rice, pinto beans, black beans, and mayacoba/peruano beans are almost always cheapest in bulk bins at Mexican markets. Cactus pads are cheapest and most easily found at Mexican markets. Sometimes Winco has them, too. (I buy them for my tortoise.) Peppers are very reasonable at the Mexican market. They usually have the best price on Mexican gray squash, too, and good deals on potatoes. Some Mexican markets have a tortillaria where you can get fresh corn tortillas and/or prepared masa to make your own.

Some spices are almost always cheaper in the Mexican section rather than the spices section of regular grocery stores. You can get some good deals on spices at Asian grocery stores too. I generally buy Italian seasoning and onion powder and cajun spice in the cheap spices lines (different brands). I think most reg grocery stores have that section of cheap spices. They're priced around $1/bottle regularly, and sometimes cheaper.

Asian markets usually have good prices on dried mushrooms. I buy jars of shredded ginger in brine. It's cheap, convenient, and doesn't go bad before I can use it. Asian markets have noodles by the ton. Rice paper wraps, too. Asian markets usually have the best napa cabbage and bok choy. It's the only place I've found gai lan. I also like to get dandelion greens there for my tortoise because they're half the price that I pay at Sprouts. Other things I like to get at the Asian market include peeled garlic, okra (before I started growing it myself), fresh curry leaves, king oyster mushrooms, shredded green papaya, fresh tofu, Indian spice blends, soy sauce, and gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste).
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby MINNIE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Boogie,

This may be obvious, but have you comparison shopped for frozen vegetables?

They are often cheaper, and because they keep longer there is last waste from things going bad before you use them.
MINNIE

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Staple foods like potato, sweet potato, winter squash and whole grains are quite cheap and can be bought in bulk. Also possible to buy beans, peas and lentils in bulk:
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/dry-goods.html
I have been to the costco business center (hathaway ave and A st) in hayward CA which is open to all members.
For vegetables and or fruits, I would sacrifice fruits which are more expensive. The 1949 okinawa poverty diet and many africa diets were low in fruits in order to save money. To save money on vegetables and or fruits, can try rehydrating dried vegetables and dried fruits in soups and cereals.
If trying to go with the cheapest vegan diet with b12 supplement, probably safer to consult a real nutritionist. My training is in computers and I am just self taught in nutrition. Personally, I rely on the cheap steel cut oats from costco and 1 bag will last me about 2 weeks. For more vitamin A, I rely on annatto seed powder (bought in bulk from mountainroseherbs com). For more vitamin c, I rely on amla powder, triphala powder, citrus peel powder like lemon peel powder and grapefruit peel powder. For more iodine, I rely on tiny amounts of seaweed like wakame and dulse. I buy either the flax seed powder or chia seed from costco. Vitamin d from sunshine. I buy dried mushrooms from costco. For more b vitamins and chromium, I use twinlab brand brewers yeast. Probably also useful to be aware of what foods are good sources of calcium, zinc, iron, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby smudgemom » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm

If you’re familiar with YouTube, there are tons of videos about being plant based on $x per day/week. I particularly like the YouTuber “Cheap Lazy Vegan”...She did a challenge for $3/day for a week.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... j9gKJXWRpi
smudgemom

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:35 am

Another good YouTube video is Dr. Karl Seff's Confessions of A Low Class Vegan on the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV6dpDwYKvo&t=1s

The description:

It’s easy and inexpensive to eat well. You don’t need to follow complex recipes to prepare dishes that are as satisfying as any offered at anyone else’s home or at any restaurant. In fact, the chances of you getting what you want at home are usually higher than they are outside your home. You can keep the fat and salt content down, the nutritional value up, and get your belly full. But you will pay a price for this: some people will think that you are low class, like me. Whom are you trying to impress? It’s not hard for a vegan to prepare and love a plain, healthy dinner!
VeggieSue

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Wow, thank you everyone so much for the responses. This will be really helpful to others, too, I'm sure.

AlwaysAgnes: Excellent advice on checking out the Asian and Mexican markets. I got out of the habit of looking for these markets when I moved away where they weren't an option. I love going to the Ranch 99 Market in Cupertino. I wish I knew how to shop for sauces and other Asian items. But, you reminded me that I used to buy baby bok choy there and that it was pretty affordable. I'll make a trip to go check it out soon.

I also get flyers in the mail once a week that include some from Mexican markets. I did see that the cactus pads were super cheap - a big bag of them already cut up for under $2. I'll have to check out YouTube on how to cook them and maybe try them out. Some of their other produce is a little bit cheaper than other stores, but not by a lot, unfortunately. At least the ones that send out the flyers.

Minnie: Yes, I agree that frozen veggies are often a good deal, since there is no waste. It seems to depend on what it is. I just get frustrated, though, because if I could eat as much as I want, I'd go through the bags in no time flat and I can't afford that.

But, if I make soup, I can stretch everything. So, I may revisit the frozen food section, thinking in terms of putting them into soups, instead of eating a big bowl of just veggies - get a lot more meals out of them that way.

ColonyofCells: You know, I'm so excited that you mentioned Costco and their produce section. I do have a Costco close by me now in Santa Clara - which is close to the part of San Jose that I live in. Years ago I came to the conclusion that the membership was not worth the price. But, I'll have to revisit how much I could save by buying in bulk. I didn't know you could buy dried mushrooms - I love that idea. I've actually been thinking about buying a deydrator. I've been canning a lot, but always seem to need more jars and they're pricey - plus take up a lot of space. Great tips, thank you.

Smudgemom: Thanks for the link to Cheap Lazy Vegan. If it's the one I was thinking of that I'd seen before, she was more about going out to eat, I thought. But, I'll check it out. I'm trying to eat for even cheaper than $3/day. If I keep it really simple - legumes, pasta, rice, bread (all of which I can get for free at the food pantry), and just make soups, I can keep it really cheap. Just always looking for more ideas to change it up. Thank you - I will check out the link for sure.

VeggieSue: Thank you. I will check out the link.
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:36 pm

smudgemom wrote:If you’re familiar with YouTube, there are tons of videos about being plant based on $x per day/week. I particularly like the YouTuber “Cheap Lazy Vegan”...She did a challenge for $3/day for a week.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... j9gKJXWRpi

I just watched this. She's adorable! I did get some great ideas & I appreciated that she doesn't usually use any oil. I normally don't much care for mixed frozen or canned veggies, where it's basically cubed carrots and peas - except - I really like them in fried rice and I've been actually wondering if there was an oil-free "fried" rice recipe that would be good. What she did looks really good and easy and I always have rice on hand. So I'll try that out for sure, with some soy sauce and no oil.

Also, I really liked her idea of hummus sauce on pasta. I have some homemade hummus in the fridge that is getting kind of dried out and i was wondering what to do with it. So, I think I'll try adding some type of veggie broth to it, and maybe even some frozen chopped spinach, which I usually do have on hand and see if I can make a sauce out of it that's decent.

I need to find a source for dried chickpeas, which she used a lot and I like them a lot. I haven't seen them in my usual grocery stores, but I'm going to look online. Maybe Walmart has them if you order them online. I've found other things online with Walmart, and then I can order them online and pick them up at the local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery store - no shipping.

Anyway, thanks!
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby GoodLife » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 pm

It's strange because I grew up poor--so poor. We ate beans and rice and macaroni (no one called it pasta then) with canned tomato paste (no spaghetti sauce), and oatmeal. We were so poor. But I loved the food! My Mother would cook it, and it was so delicious! Cornbread and biscuits, greens, and vegetables from the garden--carrots, radishes, corn on the cob, tomatoes! We were so poor, but we were so rich!

I didn't know how rich we were until years later! Years of eating the "rich" food that "rich" people ate--the food that said you had arrived--steaks, and pork chops, and hamburgers cooked rare, with white bread and white flour cakes, cookies, and pies in all fancy shapes with fancy toppings! We were rich, but our health was so poor!

Even though I had arrived and was eating "rich", I missed that "poor" food! I missed the beans and rice, and beans and cornbread, and oatmeal, and greens, and garden fresh vegetables!

Now that I have discovered McDougal's Starch Solutions--I am rich again by eating poor food! I don't have to have poor health! I get to be rich in so many ways--rich with energy, rich with joy, rich with good health, rich with laughter, rich with a youthful appearance, rich with the abundance of good, fresh food I get to eat every day with no guilt, no regret, no pain! So rich!
Started June 5, 2014; Joined Dec. 22, 2014
Height 5' 8.5"; Starting weight 190.5; Starting BMI: 28.5
Initial Weight Loss and BMI: 150.5; 22.5 (weight loss of 40 lbs.)
Current weight: 158
Current BMI: 23.7
GoodLife

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

GoodLife wrote:It's strange because I grew up poor--so poor. We ate beans and rice and macaroni (no one called it pasta then) with canned tomato paste (no spaghetti sauce), and oatmeal. We were so poor. But I loved the food! My Mother would cook it, and it was so delicious! Cornbread and biscuits, greens, and vegetables from the garden--carrots, radishes, corn on the cob, tomatoes! We were so poor, but we were so rich!

I didn't know how rich we were until years later! Years of eating the "rich" food that "rich" people ate--the food that said you had arrived--steaks, and pork chops, and hamburgers cooked rare, with white bread and white flour cakes, cookies, and pies in all fancy shapes with fancy toppings! We were rich, but our health was so poor!

Even though I had arrived and was eating "rich", I missed that "poor" food! I missed the beans and rice, and beans and cornbread, and oatmeal, and greens, and garden fresh vegetables!

Now that I have discovered McDougal's Starch Solutions--I am rich again by eating poor food! I don't have to have poor health! I get to be rich in so many ways--rich with energy, rich with joy, rich with good health, rich with laughter, rich with a youthful appearance, rich with the abundance of good, fresh food I get to eat every day with no guilt, no regret, no pain! So rich!

I love this post! Thanks :-)

I saw a news story on PBS this last week about the lack of normal food stuffs in the grocery stores in Puerto Rico. They said that there are plenty rice and beans and that type of thing - but no meat. It made me think about the studies Dr. McDougall talks about in his talks about how during the wars in Europe when there were rations and no meat or dairy - and how the health of that population really improved. Made me think that ironically, the Puerto Ricans may have improved health while unable to eat meat and dairy.

Not to minimize the problem at all. But, with my new understanding of diet and health, my "new" first reaction to that story above was that the situation of "only" having cheap carbs was not such a bad thing.

Yes, I love that this diet focuses on starch - which I can afford and I really like!
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Bougainvillea

Postby bbq » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 am

GoodLife wrote:We were so poor, but we were so rich!

That reminded me Eva Cassidy's rendition of Dolly Parton's Coat Of Many Colors since I love the lyrics:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qj8DAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT199
http://www.alivelyrics.com/e/evacassidy/coatofmanycolours.html
My coat of many colors
That my momma made for me
Made from only rags
But I wore it so proudly
But we didn't have much money
I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me

Mother Nature provided us exactly what's the best for us to eat and there's no need to eat anything with fancy packaging etc.

Rich food, poor health.

Peasant food, great health.
bbq

Postby Theresaheartplants » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

What a great thread! Thank you everyone for those suggestions! I'm getting ready to open a healing center and focusing on no oil plant based cooking classes with a focus on healing illness and want to have resources for underprivledged families with kids with a "diagnosis." Whenever a child is unwell the whole family is unwell. These suggestions are awesome. :)
Theresaheartplants

Postby ETeSelle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 am

Jeff Novick's recipes are for you! They use frozen veggies, which as others have said, are less wasteful than fresh, and you can eat for a few $ a day. He uses canned, no-salt added beans, which are pricey, but you can cook them from scratch for nearly nothing. His Longevity Soup is fast (esp if you already have beans and rice coooked), and it's different every time, depending on ingredients and spicing.

This is a cheap way to eat! Many of us use more expensive convenience items if we can afford to (like frozen brown rice, canned beans, Success brown rice, etc), but if you have the time to cook and you need to save money, you can do it very inexpensively. :-)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Next

Return to The Lounge