Need some guidance.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need some guidance.

Postby Bkworm » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Live just north of Orlando and we sustained extensive damage to our home. Just found out we will be out of our home at least six months and probably longer. For the next 30 days we will be staying in rooms at Extended Stay America with a very small kitchen - good sized refrigerator, two burner stove, etc. Very limited counter space and table space. Hopefully in an actual house after that but can't depend on it.

What esssentials as far as cookware and small appliances would you pack to take to the rental space? Can food shop more frequently than usual. But due to the limited space can't decide what to take as far as cook pots and appliances. In my own kitchen I depend on a blender, food processor, toaster oven, etc. Also have to decide on spices. Can't take all of them.

Would love input from everyone willing to share.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Our internet service is out and I am at the library right now using my iPad to send this so probably won't be able to send individual thanks.
Bkworm

Re: Need some guidance.

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm so sorry about your predicament! Glad to hear you have a place to go.

My most frequently used appliances are my blender and instant pot. If there is no oven, the toaster oven might be a good idea. I'm assuming you have a microwave. A 12" skillet and a 2 quart saucepan should do. Do you need to take a knife and cutting board?

As far as spices, I'd start with Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and cumin, but that's my personal preference.

Do you have to take everything on one go? Maybe you can get what you need to start, then go back and grab anything that you feel would be helpful.

Jeff said he would write about his experiences. Hopefully he'll get his power back soon and can post as well.

Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby greensheep » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm

In my experience, generally that type of hotel has a couple of pots, maybe a skillet, a cutting board, flatware for 2-4 people, and 1-2 terribly dull knives. So at least you should have a little bit of cookware. Might help to call the hotel and ask what, specifically, they have.

It might be easier to write out a meal plan for 1-2 weeks that you wouldn't mind repeating 1-3 times during the month you'll be living there. Try to choose things that need minimal appliances (microwaved potatoes, for example) and choose meals that use the same appliances when possible. Then, based on that, you can decide which things to take with you.

Same for spices. I could tell you the spices I'd take with me, but your taste may be completely different. And you may also find that you can eat a potato for dinner more nights in a row when you have a larger variety of spices to put on it, so if you take a few more spices, that might save you from taking yet another small appliance.

Good luck to you. So sorry to hear about your home.
greensheep

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Personally, I only cook soups so all I need is 1 stainless steel pot and countless herbs and spices.
colonyofcells

Postby patty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:52 pm

I would take what is familiar if you are able too. You always can find a way to store as I am sure your food will be your main focus to put your priorities in place. If only the basic I would take a rice cooker. Know this too will pass. You just have to get through one day at a time any maybe that will be moments. We are in a hurricane season now till November and have been remembering Inika. Our heart goes out to all that are affected as with Sandy they say recovery is harder than going through the storm. In the film that they just showed about Inika, the Islander said, "It is a good thing that it happened to our island because the other couldn't handle it. It was headed for us and turned the last half hour. Watch for your miracles.

Seeing you and your loved ones in your and their highest good. You are not alone, only One Sky. I know people in the islands are responding as I am sure the nation and global world is. Crisis brings people together.

I too as colonyofcells, have been just making soups and Jeff Novick's bean burger as a meat loaf.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Plumerias » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:56 am

Sorry about your circumstances. Assuming the hotel had the basics, I'd take my own knives and decent cutting board (because I know it's not polluted), the rice cooker, and a selection of microwave safe containers (mine are Tupperware), which I could use for storage, reheating leftovers, and cooking vegetables. With respect to spices, as Indian is our favorite, I'd take cumin, coriander, turmeric, and a few others we use often, as well as a simple Italian blend for soup. Oh, and you can always just get a jar or two of something like Mrs. Dash.
Plumerias

Postby viv » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:29 am

I am sorry for the damage sustained to your house during Hurricane Irma. It must be all very stressful. I wish you well in the coming months.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Sorry about your home. We used to live in Key Largo and Miami, and watched Irma closely.

Suggestions
1. Rice cooker. Use for rice, lentils, etc.
2. Blender (some hotel kitchens may have) Use for salsas, blended soups, etc.
3. Pressure cooker (doubles as big pot) Use to steam potatoes, boil beans, simmer curries, etc.
4. Small Bag for common kitchen utensils. knives, cutting board, measuring cups, measuring spoons, peeler, strainer, etc. Can also contain teas and dry spices.
5. Small cooler filled with microwave-freezer containers. Can be used to bring home frozen groceries, wash dishes and pack picnics.

Most everything will probably be available local and fresh. Fresh herbs ((garlic, ginger, turmeric, chili, limes, etc.) should be readily available. Some sea salt is good if you use it.

We've been traveling about US and Mexico, staying in various hotels, B&Bs, etc., with some small kitchen gear packed in the car trunk. This is what has worked pretty well for us.
michaelswarm

Return to The Lounge