I feel like i aged faster once starting to eat this way?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

I feel like i aged faster once starting to eat this way?

Postby stoneybrook57 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 am

I started eating plant based about a year and 9 months ago. I love it, and i never want to go back to eating meat or dairy. i feel amazing.

My one concern is that i feel like i look "older" in just a years time ... I am a 40 year old woman but I feel like I look like ive aged 5 years in just a years time ... Maybe its just normal but i want to be sure i am not missing any nutrients ..

(I do have two little kids and have this habit of wanting to stay up late just to grab some me time, so perhaps it is that ... )

Some other things ... I do not eat enough greens, but I thought i read McDougall say you do not need much , i may throw it on top of meals but i dont often have huge salads ...

i know i dont drink enough water , I just always seem to forget ...

I eat oatmeal with flax seed and berries for breakfast
usually eat beans and rice meals for lunch
for dinner we make brocoli chickpea bowls, or large baked potatoes with beans and corn and scallions, things like that

i dont eat many raw vegetables ..

Why do i feel like i look like i aged faster once starting to eat this way?
stoneybrook57

Re: I feel like i aged faster once starting to eat this way?

Postby Birdy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:21 am

Hi,
If you've lost weight since you started eating this way, that could possibly contribute to your impression of looking older. I'd encourage you to start adding more vegetables, both raw and cooked to your diet as these are, along with fresh fruits, central to a plant diet. There are so many vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients in veggies and fruits that contribute to good health and beautiful healthy skin. Maybe start small with simple salads at one meal and try adding gradually more vegetables to soups, stews and casseroles. Even burritos and wraps, for example, can be good with added vegetables like lettuce, grated carrots, finely chopped greens, etc.

Having raised two children, I know how it is to need "me" time and compromise sleep. For sure that can contribute to making a person feel tired/older. Exercise is also helpful for glowing skin. And please do fill a big bottle of water and drink it throughout each day. Dehydration can really dry out the skin and make you feel really tired. Been there, done that!

Hope this is helpful. It's great you're eating a healthy diet and enjoying it :)
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby healthyvegan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:39 am

I started eating this way 20 years ago when I was in my early 20s, back then I looked like I was in my 40s. fast forward now I am in my 40s and have to keep a beard on my face because people think I am in my late 20s. this way of life is as close to the fountain of youth you can get. treat yourself to some fancy face creams and sun screens. the micro needling is what is envogue to replump faces w/o anything drastic.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Make sure you are taking your B12 and from Dr. Kapler's video that Skip posted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvlaQJImt9w I realized for myself I include seaweed for the iron. And because this a body, mind and social paradigm, where you are shifting into a timeless/invisible realm that all nature experiences as there is no separation of birth, death and transformation, only 1+. When we align with nature we become aligned. Raising children is exhausting:) because they are always mirroring our split mind.

I was sharing with someone with our adult children there is still a dance of push pull because we are their property:) I told her the story, of the two photographers who were on a Safari and in the middle of the night they heard a roar in the camp. One photographer immediately started to put on and lace his shoes. And the other photographer said, "How is that going to help you?" The response was, "If I can out run you it will." Know we are in a constant war of separation, and the dance is against big food and big phrama. We are taking our power back. And that is what we are giving to our children, no matter what their age is. I am sure you have had a child hold on your leg, saying "My Mommy":)

When caught in a place were there is no win in sight, ask for a shift of perception, as in a dream or a movie, see yourself as every part/character. It is always to be objective when feeling subjective. It is just untangling the entanglement.

What I love about Dr. McDougall is he has connected the addictive falling dominos to stop at food and money. That is where we make the 180 degree turn of it is more important to give then receive. Food and money is no longer like musical chairs there is enough for everyone. I remember a Client telling me during the time Pearl Harbor was bombed, her mother said all they needed was a bag of rice.

Prepping our food takes a lot of time, but prepping a lifestyle of body, mind and social culture is a lot of work too. As the Dalai Lama shares when animals are hit by the arrow, there isn't a second arrow of guessing of the why me, and how it could be different. Life is designed to disappoint us, so we look beyond. i tell my Clients who are in a lot of anxiety about dying, it is sometimes easier to see yourself dead already. A whole new surge of life rises:) I feel your thoughts are escalating you into timeless/invisible realm as you Identify, vs compare. We are all that Light body, that never ages or begins:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby LuckyMomma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:27 pm

For me I began to lose my girlish look around 40. I started eating WFPB when I was 49. My skin looked bad at first. Now that I got my routine down, it looks better. I think I look my age and some would say I look a decade younger. My body looks younger than most people my age. I feel very good. Eat more vegetables, weight lift, and have a good skin care routine is important. I take vitamins and most recently started sharing a can of sardine with my dog once every week or two. I have accepted that most WFPB people don't look young with the exception of Christy Brinkley.
LuckyMomma

Return to The Lounge