Dr. Neal Barnard lecture

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr. Neal Barnard lecture

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BueepS78mI

"Neal Barnard, M.D., gives a lecture on nutrition essentials: everything you need to know about a vegan diet! Protein, calcium, coconut oil, soy, weight loss, diabetes, cholesterol, and more. PCRM.org "
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: Dr. Neal Barnard lecture

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Thanks for posting! I love his lectures.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby TerriNC » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:17 pm

I love his lectures too. Thanks Agnes! :)
TerriNC

Postby Willijan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:31 am

Does anyone remember exactly the dose of B-12 he mentioned? He said something like, I guarantee you won't be harmed by taking too much B-12 if you don't take more than ______________." But I've forgotten what the dose was. The dose on the only methylcobalamin I could find is 1,000 mcg, or over 16,000% of the daily value. I don't know which of those he was referring to.

Barnard was really enjoyable to listen to because he is so straightforward and simple in his explanations, with humor thrown in from time to time. Plus he is good-looking, like most of us WFPB people.
Willijan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 am

Willijan wrote:Does anyone remember exactly the dose of B-12 he mentioned? He said something like, I guarantee you won't be harmed by taking too much B-12 if you don't take more than ______________." But I've forgotten what the dose was. The dose on the only methylcobalamin I could find is 1,000 mcg, or over 16,000% of the daily value. I don't know which of those he was referring to.

Barnard was really enjoyable to listen to because he is so straightforward and simple in his explanations, with humor thrown in from time to time. Plus he is good-looking, like most of us WFPB people.

He said a 5000 mcg dose won't hurt you. (around 32 min mark)
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:16 am

Willijan wrote:Does anyone remember exactly the dose of B-12 he mentioned? He said something like, I guarantee you won't be harmed by taking too much B-12 if you don't take more than ______________." But I've forgotten what the dose was. The dose on the only methylcobalamin I could find is 1,000 mcg, or over 16,000% of the daily value. I don't know which of those he was referring to.

I just started to listen to the lecture... but this is from his latest book "The Cheese Trap":

Supplements

Although most of your nutrition should come from foods, there are two supplements that I recommend.

Vitamin B12 is essential for healthy nerves and healthy blood. It is not made by animals or plants. It is made by bacteria. The body needs only a tiny amount—about 2.4 micrograms per day. Some people speculate that, before the era of modern hygiene, the bacteria in the soil, on our vegetables, on our fingers, and in our mouths produced the traces of B12 we need. However, those sources are not reliable today, if they ever were. Meat-eaters get traces of B12 produced by bacteria in an animal’s intestinal tract. But not only is that not a healthful source, the B12 in meat is not necessarily easy to absorb. People who produce relatively little stomach acid, people on acid-blocking medications, people on metformin for diabetes, and many other people tend to run low in B12. That is why the U.S. government recommends B12 supplements for everyone over age fifty. I would go further and recommend it for everyone, period—regardless of age.

If you follow a plant-based (vegan) diet, as I recommend, a B12 supplement is not optional—it is essential. That means a daily multivitamin (choose a brand that does not have added iron or copper), B complex, complex, or just plain B12. You will find it in any drugstore or health food store. Adults need just
2.4 micrograms per day
, and all common brands have more than this. There is no danger from higher doses.

Barnard, Neal D. The Cheese Trap: How Breaking a Surprising Addiction Will Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Get Healthy (p. 167). Grand Central Publishing. Kindle Edition.

I would check with Jeff Noivick. If I remember correctly he suggests if you haven't been taking a B12 tablet, take one daily for a couple of weeks, then drop back to once a week. I think the tablets are 1000mg. I am sure the members can provide more information on specific brands etc.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

There is a 2017 newsletter about b12: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl/apr/b12.htm
colonyofcells

Postby patty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 am

Also if you want to see the transcript.. just go the lower menu on the right side where you see the icon: share then the dots, when clicking the dots a drop box opens where you can choose transcript. Then scroll down to where Dr. Barnard talks about VB12.

On a side note: I am going to print out the diabetic slides with preview and the relative transcript. At Bed Bath and Beyond for $20 they have these boom speakers for a smart phone or it can lie on the tablet to increase the volume. A great way to share for those who are hearing impaired.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge