Popcorn

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Popcorn

Postby Roni10 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi Everyone! Can we use popcorn in the Mary's Mini as our starch of preference together with plain corn? Does anybody notices weight stalling with air popped popcorn?
Roni10

Re: Popcorn

Postby Roni10 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

No feedback or experiences on popcorn?
Roni10

Postby Spiral » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am

Roni10 wrote:Hi Everyone! Can we use popcorn in the Mary's Mini as our starch of preference together with plain corn? Does anybody notices weight stalling with air popped popcorn?

Since air popped popcorn is nearly as high in calorie density as table sugar, it makes sense that someone could have trouble losing weight while eating air popped popcorn.
Spiral

Postby patty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

I eat 2oz of popcorn kernels microwaved for 2 minutes in a brown paper bag, periodically. You can also make your own potato chips, by slicing very thin and microwaving for about 6 minutes. There are special trays, sold by Amazon. Susan uses a special holder: FatFree Vegan http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/he ... nacks.html I am sure it is healthier to eat the corn on the cob or boiled potato in calorie density as it is the water that has no calories. The learning curve is very deep, as this is a body, mind and social disease. Find what sets you off, and what doesn't. If you haven't already be sure to watch Jeff Novick's Calorie Density video online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg Know you are on the path of healing. it is the processed foods that have the combination of SOS/salt,oil,sugar that sets of off. I found the strength of Mary Mini is the repetition of the simplicity of eating WFPBNO foods. Sometimes though we go off wack.. and if it's popcorn without the salt/oil we are still winning:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby calvin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm

As Dr. McDougall has pointed out, the People Of The Corn thrived on corn as their main source of starch and to the extent People Of The Corn are no longer around, that is not due to the corn.
calvin

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:09 am

Roni10 wrote:Hi Everyone! Can we use popcorn in the Mary's Mini as our starch of preference together with plain corn? Does anybody notices weight stalling with air popped popcorn?

I've never done Mary's Mini, but I don't see why you couldn't include some popped corn along with other types of corn for your starch. Air popped corn is whole grain and high in fiber. Unless you're planning to eat tons of popcorn, I don't see its calorie density as that much of an issue. A cup of popcorn has about 30 calories. A gallon of popcorn has about 500 calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/41495 ... fattening/
http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pop ... h#section2
https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/foo ... -to-weight

BTW, I really don't see the logic in comparing popcorn to table sugar. You'd only get 2 cups worth of fiber-less sugar void of nutrition in a pound. A pound of popcorn is more than 3 gallons and probably has more fiber than I eat in a day, plus all the nutrients that come with whole grains. A person who eats 3 pounds of food in a day could eat 3 gallons of popcorn and 3 pounds of greens/veggies, a cup of blueberries, and a 1/2-cup serving of beans and probably still be under 2000 calories.

Just sayin'. 8)
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 am

Also, Dr. McDougall has classified popcorn as a health-supporting food.

From https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/nyr.htm :

Category IV -- Health-Supporting Foods

These foods are health-supporting. They allow your body to attain and maintain its naturally intended state of good health. They should account for the greatest share (at least 90 percent) of your calories if you are healthy and for all of them if you are still working to regain your health.

1. Whole grains, such as wheat, rice, barley, millet, rye, oats, corn, and popcorn.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 am

One of the snacks of Dr Greger is : "zombie corn" (air-popped popcorn sprinkled with Bragg's and nutritional yeast, and turned bright green with chlorella).
colonyofcells

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 am

High Carb Hannah did a popcorn comparison recently. https://youtu.be/k8n52mamyv8?t=4m18s
AlwaysAgnes

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:36 am

Popcorn has about same calorie density as any other whole grain. The real problem with popcorn is that it is totally dry. If you cook rice, millet, oats, wheat berries, etc, they are all usually boiled in water and therefore saturated with it so the "eating weight" has a big percentage of zero calorie water. A far better comparison than with sugar would be with any boiled grain. For example (1 pound of each):
popcorn, hot air popped 1757 calories
brown rice, steamed 558 calories
oats 322 calories
millet 549 calories

And in addition to calories per pound, the volume, once chewed and crushed of the popcorn will be much smaller, again due to no water.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:30 am

The question of "Is popcorn allowed on a Corn Mini" cam up on a Mini FB forum.
On a corn mini. Mary said flour is allowed, so Polenta and corn tortillas are OK. Mention has been made of calorie density, and yes, popcorn is more calorie dense.
But so are other foods we allow on the Mini.
Like my very dry hash browns done on the Cuisinart Griddler were 1000cal/lb.
And I took raw potato and skin , sliced with mandolin to make crispy crunchy potato chips in microwave, and the calorie density because all the water was removed was 1477cal/lb.
Same goes for oats on an oat Mini.
My rolled oats cooked with lots of water were 315, 325, and 350 cal/lb on three occasions I tested them. Dry oats on the other hand are 1700cal
I used to email McDougall and Mary and would get answers. So sorry they are retired.
JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 am

JOJO1947 wrote:The question of "Is popcorn allowed on a Corn Mini" cam up on a Mini FB forum.
On a corn mini. Mary said flour is allowed, so Polenta and corn tortillas are OK. Mention has been made of calorie density, and yes, popcorn is more calorie dense.
But so are other foods we allow on the Mini.

Just to be clear, the purpose of the Mary’s Mini is not weight loss but simplicity and monotony. .

That is why more calorie dense foods are allowed but allowed only in limited variety. Limiting variety often results in reduce intake too but that is not the main purpose. Many will use the Mary’s Mini for health reasons as it helps one to simplify and get back on track.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 am

Thank you for the quick reply! JoAnn
JOJO1947

Return to The Lounge