Cold cereal

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cold cereal

Postby Quinda » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:31 pm

If not for the added sugar it appears to me that Post Raisin Bran would be approved.
Quinda

Re: Cold cereal

Postby Quinda » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 am

I compared ingredients to Trader Joe's Raisin Bran according to website. They are similar. Exception: Milled sugar in TJ and sugar in Post. I know milled sugar is more nutritious. The sugar grams are 18 and 19. For an occasional snack I would eat Post. Trader Joe not available to me. Post has more sodium too. I am just tired of Cheerios.
Quinda

Postby Sydney » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 am

I don't think it's just sugar and sodium, but also about how much the grain has been refined.

In the summer, I prefer cold cereals, but even with eating either Shredded Wheat or Bran Flakes, they are more calorie dense and more refined than a whole grain (then there's the added "milk" which is more calories). Dried fruit is also calorie dense (raisins).

When I asked Jeff about cold cereal he replied, "It always depends on ones goals. All dry (cold) cereals are all calorie dense".

HTH! :D
Sydney

Postby Ern2Win » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Ern2Win

Postby Quinda » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks Sidney for reminding me of the weight gain aspect. And also thanks to erntowin for referring to what I found earlier, the approved list where trader Joe's is found. Both of you are correct of course. I stand corrected for my comment.
Quinda

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:12 am

I've been making my own meusli this summer. My husband has been having plain shredded wheat, to which he adds dried fruit. The kids are eating Cheerios. We get all of this from Aldi, and use unsweetened original almond milk to top. It's starting to get cool in the mornings here, so we'll be switching to steel cut oats and frozen berries for breakfast soon.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Quinda » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:24 pm

I've decided, after comparing Cascadia Raisin Bran to my Post Raisin Bran plus the fact that I weigh only 100 pounds at 5 feet 6 to just eat it! For evening snacks, that is. I will keep eating oatmeal, raisins, walnuts for breakfast.
Quinda

Postby bbq » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 pm

bbq

Postby patty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 am

Quinda wrote:I've decided, after comparing Cascadia Raisin Bran to my Post Raisin Bran plus the fact that I weigh only 100 pounds at 5 feet 6 to just eat it! For evening snacks, that is. I will keep eating oatmeal, raisins, walnuts for breakfast.

What is great is you won't be eating it with cow's milk:) How great is that? That makes a huge difference. Oatmeal is really the best as a basic because you can eat it as cereal or in cookies, or Jeff Novick's Basic burgers.

In using walnuts and raisins, a recipe I like is with apples, is too cut the apple up in small pieces, then steam it with the raisins, then add crushed walnuts with cinnamon. It taste just like apple pie. Dr. McDougall shares Ann Esselstyn's Walnut Dressing: https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/mmi_lesson_07.pdf

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Quinda » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 am

Thank you so much Patty.
Quinda

Return to The Lounge