Yet another "It's bad. No, it's good. No, it's..."

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Yet another "It's bad. No, it's good. No, it's..."

Postby viv » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm

jabowman the symptoms you describe are classic symptoms of low thyroid e.g., Hashimotos. These symptoms can be independent of diet. Don't use it as an excuse to go back to eating eggs. Current thinking is to keep TSH numbers between 0.3 and 2.5.

I have had Hashimotos for 30 years and since going McDougall four years ago, my thyroid has stabilized and my meds have been lowered. It took about six months or so for my thyroid to settle down. I feel the best now than I have ever felt.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 am

Yes, and Hashimoto's is diagnosed with a commonly used, simple blood test.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby jabowman1950 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 am

Thanks to everyone for your input. I know I have Hashimoto's-have had it for 27 years. I'm writing from Japan where my medical care is out of a Clinic at a US Naval base so don't have access to my usual endocrinologist. Prior blood tests were good and the end likes to keep the TSH from .05-2.0, but my last blood test had it at 7.5! T4 meds have been upped and will re test in about 3 weeks. I was wondering if the McDougall diet had thrown things that off. Good to have your input, Viv, so I'll try to give it some time.

On the other hand and on the "It's bad. No, it's good." theme, my US endo always advocated eating fatty meats and once told me I needed to up my cholesterol intake since my reading was 150 and low from his perspective. Said I needed enough cholesterol to help produce the hormones I was lacking. Am not, as I said, seeing him now and not discussing this with him, but it all is confusing. As is this article I recently read:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canadian- ... -1.4266130
Makes me feel hopeless as to knowing what's good for me.

Jo Anne
jabowman1950

Postby dlee » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 pm

A shameful article published by CBC.... sowing more confusion! Tax payers paying for propaganda...not a proud Canadian. Stick to Dr MacDougall's advice. Dlee
Last edited by dlee on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlee

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:24 am

It's rare the body assumes a very low BP. I'd re-examine the thyroid meds or any other meds you might be taking.
A doctor is the right call here.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby jabowman1950 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:07 am

I can't hang. I have been firmly convinced by the evidence that the McDougall and veganism in general will be beneficial to my health. Although I like meat, I have not missed it particularly nor crave it. I pretty much have been on this diet for 10 weeks. I mentioned the blood pressure issue, but it has since I posted come back to normal levels and even started to rise, but probably from anxiety. What has worsened in the past week is my anxiety level. Day before yesterday, I seriously considered going to the emergency room. I felt like my cells are vibrating at an extremely fast pace and was on edge about everything and unable to focus on anything. I was afraid to sleep. Afraid my heart would stop. High anxiety!!! Yesterday, again, I had eggs. Today I had meat. All the symptoms have died down. I am TERRIFIED to return to the McDougall way of eating. I am also, scared about getting heart disease, by being a carnivore. This is no way to live. Eating should be pleasurable and lead to vibrant health-not extreme nervousness. I had a second TSH test the other day and an A1C but don't have the results in yet. Do other McDougallites go through these stages of adjustment?

Jo Anne
jabowman1950

Postby f1jim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:15 am

We cannot treat psychological issues. We can only deal with dietary issues. Nothing in the McDOugall diet causes "cells to vibrate at a fast pace" or cause terror in those adopting the diet.
I suggest getting professional counseling immediately, whatever diet you choose.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Previous

Return to The Lounge