IKEA Raskog cart for Instant Pot

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

IKEA Raskog cart for Instant Pot

Postby Willijan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 am

I just read that the IKEA Raskog utility cart can be "used for an Instant Pot." And I very much want one to put my second IP on.

But the information I can't find is 1)How much weight does the top shelf of the cart hold? And 2) Can it be used as a cooking location for the IP, or just for storage?

Does anyone know about this? I searched for the info on google, checked the customer questions and reviews on Amazon, and did not find the answers.
Willijan

Re: IKEA Raskog cart for Instant Pot

Postby patty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

if this is the one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90333976/ What a great price. It looks pretty sturdy. I would imagine the weight won't be a problem. And it looks structured so it can't be knocked down. I have a wooden utility cart that I keep two of my kitchen appliances on so to create more counter space, then use the counter for them when needed. I could probably have my pressure cooker sitting on it and use it, I just prefer the counter. You will figure it out. If it doesn't feel safe, just return it.. even at extra cost. Having the extra space and shelves is great. Prepping is so important as easy access to your equipment. Safety is number one.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Willijan wrote:I just read that the IKEA Raskog utility cart can be "used for an Instant Pot." And I very much want one to put my second IP on.

But the information I can't find is 1)How much weight does the top shelf of the cart hold? And 2) Can it be used as a cooking location for the IP, or just for storage?

Does anyone know about this? I searched for the info on google, checked the customer questions and reviews on Amazon, and did not find the answers.

I don't know the weight limit on the shelves, but you can see some of the items people are putting there in pics here http://www.thekitchn.com/15-ways-to-use ... hen-223926 I don't know how some of the heavier items actually compare with a full instant pot, but seems like it would work okay if the instant pot fits on the shelf. I think the smaller IP would fit, but I don't know about the larger one. You'd have to check dimensions.

You could also explore come different carts and movable islands/butcher blocks if you don't think this particular one would work.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Willijan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:35 pm

AlwaysAgnes and patty,

I looked at the stuff in your link, AlwaysAgnes. The liquor bottles on the bottom shelf of one pic looked pretty heavy; I just hope they were full, and the pic was honest. The pic with the KitchenAid mixer was pretty convincing too. I'm still hoping someone responds who has tried this, but that's a lot to hope for.

Yes, I agree with you, patty, about counter space. That's why I want this utility cart. I have a lot of counter space, and I use every bit of it for one prep or cleaning task or another. I surveyed it this morning, and I thought, no, there is not one area of that I want to give up. That's why my first Instant Pot is around the corner from my kitchen in the remodeled garage.

If I get this cart, I could put a second one in the dining area. But I'm going to be cautious about spending the money on either item, and make sure I can really use them.

Thank you both so much for your help! It is wonderful to have someone I can ask, and get answers.
Willijan

Postby patty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:17 pm

In looking at the pictures on the link Agnes posted gives a great view how high the cart is compared to the kitchen counters. When I looked for my cart I looked at the hieght so it be the same hieght as the counters. Even with my pressure cooker I have a concern when the steam comes out it isn't to close to the upper cabinet. In actuality I can switch it to another counter without upper cabinet. Having a utility cart is great. Take your time and find the one that fits for you. Cooking is so much fun:) I am so happy you got a instant pot:)

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby Willijan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm

patty wrote:In looking at the pictures on the link Agnes posted gives a great view how high the cart is compared to the kitchen counters. When I looked for my cart I looked at the hieght so it be the same hieght as the counters. Even with my pressure cooker I have a concern when the steam comes out it isn't to close to the upper cabinet. In actuality I can switch it to another counter without upper cabinet. Having a utility cart is great. Take your time and find the one that fits for you. Cooking is so much fun:) I am so happy you got a instant pot:)

Aloha, Patty

I am so glad I made you happy, Patty! Cooking is even more fun with an IP. And you are right about steam. I don't want to risk damaging my cabinets, so that is another reason the cart will be good.

I am just going to keep using my IP for another week or so, maybe, and think about if I will use another one. Today I made bean and vegetable soup, then some vegetable broth, and in the middle of that I wanted to make mashed potatoes. I could have used two of them then.

I used to be the type of person who rarely spent any money--the way I was raised. Then eventually being around my husband led me to be a little freer with money. But I've noticed, I can end up buying things I don't really need or want sometimes. I don't like that. You know, the "millionaire next door" philosophy, if you're careful with your pennies they add up.
Willijan

Postby Willijan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 pm

To continue my post above,

And a second IP is so much cheaper than a new stove and a kitchen remodel to accommodate the through-the-roof venting that it would need. :eek:
Willijan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Willijan wrote:To continue my post above,

And a second IP is so much cheaper than a new stove and a kitchen remodel to accommodate the through-the-roof venting that it would need. :eek:

If you're worried about steam hitting your cabinets, just turn the Instant Pot so that when you open the vent the steam isn't directed toward the cabinets. Of course if you always use natural release (what I most typically do) steam hitting the cabinets pretty much becomes a non-issue. 8)

When I use the instant pot, I don't place it back against the wall or underneath the cabinets. It's positioned more to the front of the counter in front of the cabinets. If that makes sense.

By the way, looking at other movable cabinet/cart/island options for an IP, there are many many many many options, if you do decide that's what you want/need. Here are all the ones that came up at Target's page: https://www.target.com/c/kitchen-carts- ... /-/N-5xtmh I'm sure there are many more at other stores. You can check other stores' web sites and online stores' web sites. The styles and prices vary widely.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to The Lounge