"I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

"I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar"

Postby viv » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 am

So I was taking a walk this morning around my complex and I helped a neighbor lift a box into the trash. She said "be careful, it's heavy" so I was prepared for something really heavy and I was shocked at how light it was. This woman is only a couple of years older than me. So then we chatted and she asked me what I ate etc. as she noticed I had lost weight. So I gave the standard easy reply, "I eat a diet of potatoes, rice, corn and beans with fruits and veggies and I feel great." She gave me the standard reply (she's T2 diabetic), "Oh I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar."

So what's a standard, easy, one sentence reply I can give to this oft repeated comment?

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Re: "I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar"

Postby hoob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am

"I used to think that way too until I read The Starch Solution"
hoob

Postby Spiral » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:03 pm

"While potatoes raise blood sugar only in the very short term, meat, eggs and cheese raise blood sugars long term."
Last edited by Spiral on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiral

Postby foodaddict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:29 am

One sentence , well hope this is just one :D

" I did get diabetes when I started to eat the LCHF diet I didn't have it prior to that and it went away when I started to eat the mcdougall diet. "
I started to eat meat again to ripe the benefits of it. They eat meat in the bible. why should not we continue to eat it? I hate manipulated facts !
foodaddict

Postby Spiral » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 am

"Lots of people have successfully reversed their diabetes by eating a diet high in relatively unrefined, relatively unprocessed carbohydrates, including potatoes, while eliminating the foods that cause diabetes, meat, dairy and eggs."

The response would probably be, "Oh, I couldn't do that. I like my meat."

So, maybe a better one line response would be, "When you are ready to get healthy, let me know."
Spiral

Postby foodaddict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:29 am

How about these ones:

" I just answered the question about how I lost the weight and it wasn't meant as a health advice for any disease"

or " I respect your food choice but it seem to have worked well for me"

or " have you actually tried the mcdougall diet so you know it will raise your blood glucose?"
I started to eat meat again to ripe the benefits of it. They eat meat in the bible. why should not we continue to eat it? I hate manipulated facts !
foodaddict

Postby Skip » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 am

viv wrote:So what's a standard, easy, one sentence reply I can give to this oft repeated comment?

I don't think there is one. It's a matter of educating the person. Perhaps this might help:

"If you watch the movie "Forks over Knives" you may change your opinion about your diabetes and food choices"
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby foodaddict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:41 am

yeah and this one : " do you want to read a book about it I can lend one out to you !"
foodaddict

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:32 am

How about:

"Well, keep doing what you're doing. It's clearly working out wonderfully for you!" (Insert double eye roll.)

:)

Ha! Well, there are reasons why I'm not running a charm school!

In real life, I think foodaddict's offer of "would you like to read a book" is the nicest and gentlest! It seems inappropriate to challenge people or try to back them into a corner, or try to convince them that they don't know what the hell they're talking about. That just shuts them down.

If I picture someone questioning me on how I'm leading some area of my life (say, someone questioning me on my decision to abstain from health insurance) -- I would be extremely put off by someone asking me, "If you knew the stats on bankruptcy and the uninsured, you would change your mind about what you're doing". Or i would be put off by someone saying, "Have you actually priced out health insurance? You might realize that it's not as expensive as you think".

Anything that suggests that you know what's best for me, and I'm too stupid to lead my own life -- is a stinker. By contrast, anything that suggests that there may be more options than I am aware of, might feel nice. Or suggesting that when I am ready to try a different option, you may have some ideas for me -- that would feel fine to me too.

I mean, until I give some indication that I'm unhappy with my decision, then I'm not positive that there is a teachable moment there.
roundcoconut

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:20 am

It is super difficult to convince people that the potato is healthy bec the culture is heavily influenced by the old Atkins diet, mainstream is against the potato, diabetes association is also against the potato.
colonyofcells

Postby viv » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for your very creative responses. I'm going to memorize a few so I can pull one out of the bag when needed. It's so frustrating when you consider we have the key to health and very few want to open the door!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby foodaddict » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:29 am

Here is one more :

" you dont have to eat potatoes there are lots of other food choices with starches in it"
foodaddict

Postby bbq » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:50 am

Unless someone actually knows how to cook potatoes at home while doing that properly, most likely it's a bad choice to be recommended since most people are getting so good at ruining a perfect fine food:

bbq

Postby foodaddict » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 am

yes so an even better reply than my last one would be :

" The blood sugar wont rise if you dont add oil when you cook the potatoes "
foodaddict

Postby patty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm

I was sharing with someone who was diabetic that they would have to go vegan, and the response was it never would happen. I just sighed and said, will maybe when losing limb by limb you will change your mind. I have to say i shocked myself. But I have heard over and over diabetes is the worst disease to die from. And i have witnessed many amputees. One saying but all my numbers were fine. I think what is hard is they don't have support from their families let alone their communities. it is a family/social food and economical disease. As Dr. McDougall shares I may get a sore on my leg, but if a diabetic gets the same sore he/she can lose their leg. Doctors need to focus on the food of the diabetic not their blood. And if this was a woman I would ask her how her female organs are? As they are prime target for business as usual from a medical system run amuck. Then i would add the astronomer royal of the United Kingdom, Sir Martin Rees, explained our Earth will exist for an equivalent amount of time as it has taken us to go from one-celled organisms to human beings—in other words, we are only halfway through our evolution on this planet. So switching to WFPBNO should be no big deal. And they should go for it:)

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Next

Return to The Lounge