Canada takes out dairy from food guide

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Canada takes out dairy from food guide

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Canada is proposing the bold step of taking out "milk and milk alternatives" from their food guide, and based on the latest evidence trying to shift recommendations to more plant-based high fibre options. Consider grabbing your (air popped, salt free) popcorn and seeing the battle unfold:

http://www.foodguideconsultation.ca/discuss-the-issues/forum_topics/guiding-principle-1-foods-and-beverages-to-encourage

This is a big deal, Canada does not invite industry to the table and actually has a health agency instead of a "health" agency like we do in the USDA. If you look at the evidence basis, they have some sound science for it. They couldn't take out meat/egg completely but it's a big step to say that meat is neither necessary nor the healthiest option.

If you are Canadian, please do post and upvote or downvote the comments you agree/disagree. And get ready to rumble with the low carb people who are strong in Canada!
StarchHEFP

Re: Canada takes out dairy from food guide

Postby mountain » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am

Proud Canadian here :D
But that first sentence worries me a bit because when people read/hear protein ....all they normally think of is animal protein.
Plus we live in a society where most people are overly concerned with protein intake....don't know which famous doctor said it....but we can't be protein deficient if we take in enough calories to sustain us.

But definitely a big step into the right direction!!!
mountain

Postby patty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

It is a beginning and when protein is brought up in the conversation switch and bait "Where do you get your fiber?" Then suggest "Dr McDougall's Digestion Tune Up" while explaining meat, poultry and fish have no fiber. Vote with your food.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby f1jim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Excellent news. The iceberg is melting!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Taggart » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 am

Just to set the record straight....

Inside the big revamp of Canada’s Food Guide

"It also appears to de-emphasize the necessity of animal meats and dairy – prompting at least one media report earlier this month to claim the new food guide “eliminates dairy as a food group.” (Health Canada officials told The Globe and Mail no such decisions have been made.)"
Taggart

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 am

Taggart wrote:Just to set the record straight....

"It also appears to de-emphasize the necessity of animal meats and dairy – prompting at least one media report earlier this month to claim the new food guide “eliminates dairy as a food group.” (Health Canada officials told The Globe and Mail no such decisions have been made.)"

it is also only a "draft" and the final reports often have little resemblance to the proposed drafts.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby StarchHEFP » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:10 am

JeffN wrote:
Taggart wrote:Just to set the record straight....

it is also only a "draft" and the final reports often have little resemblance to the proposed drafts.

In Health
Jeff

Absolutely true, the dairy industry has a huge influence
StarchHEFP

Postby Dougalling » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 pm

Canada is considering many things for their new food guide. Things like vegans, vegetarians, religious factors like halal meat, etc Currently Canada has 2 food guides. A general food guide and one that is tailored to reflect traditions and food choices of First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities. I'm guessing that Canada is going to produce a number of food guides. It will be interesting how the general guide differs from it's current format and how many guides get generated.
Dougalling

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:27 pm

In my opinion, the best one, that is already in existence and out there, is the one from Brazil. Not perfect, but much better than any other one.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47020

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby petmomful » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 pm

"Where do you get your fiber?" Hey, Patty, I will use that one; I like it! :D
petmomful

Return to The Lounge