Diabetes and the failure to think beyond two hours

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Diabetes and the failure to think beyond two hours

Postby bbq » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Dr. Garth Davis really nailed it at the very beginning of this video by putting things into perspective:

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/videos/1548272325193670/

It's kinda like someone at school who's flunking an exam and then simply trying to avoid all exams afterwards, there's no point in working harder and give it another shot. Just drop outta school and then join a gang or something. In the end we'll never learn anything in our lives and potentially become a delinquent of some sort if we weren't contributing to the society in a positive way.

Similarly, staying away from all carbs and sugars etc. altogether would be as "smart" as banging your head against a wall while taking painkillers all the time. Eventually it's gonna get you addicted to that stuff while you're feeling just like this:

bbq

Postby Dixee » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:45 pm

This is an old post, yet it really addresses my exact journey and set of worries at this moment. I am a 53 yo female and am 3 years into finding out I have type II diabetes. I have so far managed it without using any meds by trying every diet and technique out there. I have lost (and later regained) substantial weight, tried extreme low carb, adopted Dr. Fuhrman's nutritarian diet coupled with daily rigorous walk after lunch, and now strict low-fat McDougall for 2 months and counting. On MWL, I have dropped 15 pounds (down to 106 lbs) but my 2 hour post prandials are still in the mid 200s. I know, I know ... patience is needed as I continue to take the visceral fat and muscle fat off my body. But it is SCARY to watch those numbers be slow to come down. I am trying to ignore the "eat to your meter" crowd and give my body some time to get where it needs to go. I am also getting daily exercise back into my life, although not as well as I could be. Anyway, I really appreciate this post as it bolsters my courage to look more long term and "just keep swimming"!!!

https://youtu.be/0Hkn-LSh7es
Dixee

Postby Spiral » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 am

Dixee wrote:This is an old post, yet it really addresses my exact journey and set of worries at this moment. I am a 53 yo female and am 3 years into finding out I have type II diabetes. I have so far managed it without using any meds by trying every diet and technique out there. I have lost (and later regained) substantial weight, tried extreme low carb, adopted Dr. Fuhrman's nutritarian diet coupled with daily rigorous walk after lunch, and now strict low-fat McDougall for 2 months and counting. On MWL, I have dropped 15 pounds (down to 106 lbs) but my 2 hour post prandials are still in the mid 200s. I know, I know ... patience is needed as I continue to take the visceral fat and muscle fat off my body. But it is SCARY to watch those numbers be slow to come down. I am trying to ignore the "eat to your meter" crowd and give my body some time to get where it needs to go. I am also getting daily exercise back into my life, although not as well as I could be. Anyway, I really appreciate this post as it bolsters my courage to look more long term and "just keep swimming"!!!

https://youtu.be/0Hkn-LSh7es

I recommend reading Geo's Testimonial. Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet... and if you want more detail about what he ate, read Geo's 1 Year Journal here.
Let me start by first expressing my extreme gratitude to Dr McDougall for his lifestyle program and to Jeff Novick, RD for his never ending explanations and simplifications of all the technical details entailed in the program. My health and life are indebted to you both.

For the past year I have been following Dr McDougall’s Maximum Weight Loss Program. I’ve followed the program very strictly with > 99 % compliance. Herewith are the results of the program.

Background

I’m a 56 year old male.

I’ve been a SAD eater all my life. In my family, the 4 food groups were meat, potatoes, bread, and dessert. I never really struggled with weight until I hit about 30 yrs old. Then it was the never ending slow creep of a few pounds every year to go along with a completely sedentary lifestyle. School, life, work, family all took precedence over concerns of health. After all, I didn’t feel sick and everyone gets a few aches and pains and gains a few pounds as they get older right? Its all a part of the aging process as we all know so well. Nothing to worry about.
Spiral

Postby Dixee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you, Spiral. That was indeed very inspiring ... incredibly happy and impressed for geo. I am two months in and finding it very easy not to "cheat" because I am early on when motivation is highest and because eating good (both healthy and tasty!), filling food takes away food cravings! I am waiting until 3-4 months to get a new blood panel done and only check the blood glucose every few days just to keep an eye on things. I am already a small person (5'2" and as of today 105), but despite seeming thinness, I do have fat ... tofi ... so on I go!! Love reading the success stories here!! Hope to post my own some day!! Dixie
Dixee

Previous

Return to The Lounge