Perfect Microwave FLUFFY Baked potato, weird but works!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Perfect Microwave FLUFFY Baked potato, weird but works!

Postby Branson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:34 pm

I bought a 15 pound of large Russets from Sams Club. I thought that this was the tastiest bag of tators ever. (never bought Russetts from them.)

So I was looking at the bag and turned it around and there was directions for how to make FLUFFY microwave potato.

Cut into the potato a wedge that is 1/8 inch wide and 1 inch deep. And microwave for 8 -10 minutes.

And no kidding the potato was FLUFFY throughout. Fork fluffy light and airy delectable.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Branson

Re: Perfect Microwave FLUFFY Baked potato, weird but works!

Postby patty » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Branson wrote:I bought a 15 pound of large Russets from Sams Club. I thought that this was the tastiest bag of tators ever. (never bought Russetts from them.)

So I was looking at the bag and turned it around and there was directions for how to make FLUFFY microwave potato.

Cut into the potato a wedge that is 1/8 inch wide and 1 inch deep. And microwave for 8 -10 minutes.

And no kidding the potato was FLUFFY throughout. Fork fluffy light and airy delectable.

What a trip. I will give it a try!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby MINNIE » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Me too!

Thanks, Branson.

I'll be heading out for some russets very soon. Like now:).
MINNIE

Postby flowerblue » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:06 pm

This worked great...I used a Yukon.
flowerblue

Postby MINNIE » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 am

This works with sweet potatoes too. I tried it with a big Japanese sweet potato and it cooked all the way through with a really good texture. Better than my previous method for microwaving potatoes :).
MINNIE

Postby Branson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 am

So glad it works for all :nod:
Branson

Postby patty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:14 pm

I used russet and it worked great!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 pm

I just did it! Thank you for the tip. It's an easy way to put together something quick to eat when short on time.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 am

Branson wrote:I bought a 15 pound of large Russets from Sams Club. I thought that this was the tastiest bag of tators ever. (never bought Russetts from them.)

It must be just me (since no one else asked for clarification), but those direction seem a bit vague (?). How long should the 'wedge' be? A mere 'cut' only, or does any material need to be removed? If indeed only a cut, should the cut be spread wide (with the knife?) until it is a full 1/8", or is that simply just the average width of a cut that's left after a potato is sliced into with the typical kitchen knife? If the 'slice' is wider (or narrower) than 1/8", will the result be any different? Etc., etc.

The directions are reminiscent of form 1040 instructions written by IRS bureaucrats (or ANY government agency form, for that matter), as if the goal was to intentionally leave people confused.
dynodan62

Postby calvin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:04 pm

It's not just you. 8) I must say that, from my extensive microwaved potato experience being as how I'm way too lazy to bake a potato, microwaving ANY potato for 8-10 minutes will make it fluffy, regardless of details. Three minutes on a side would be about the most I've ever needed and my microwave is not that powerful (1100watts). But power levels do vary.
calvin

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:12 am

Turns out, a raw sweet potato doesn't 'spread' so easy, so I removed a 1/8" slice. Gave it 9 min. in my large micro...turned out fine.
Still, while the skin wasn't quite as leathery as baked in an ordinary oven, still not as palatable as slicing/steaming.
dynodan62

Postby jamietwo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 pm

I read somewhere to wrap your pierced raw sweet potato in a wet paper towel and microwave. I've been doing this for a few months and like the results.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 am

Pics Pls?
Jack Monzon

Postby Willijan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am

jamietwo wrote:I read somewhere to wrap your pierced raw sweet potato in a wet paper towel and microwave. I've been doing this for a few months and like the results.

Want to try. But does anyone know about the possibility of contaminants from the paper towel?
Willijan

Postby hastings » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I've tried this on over a dozen potatoes since this thread was posted, and the results have been delicious every time! As promised, nice and fluffy throughout. Here's my method:

- Wash and pat dry a whole potato...I've only used Russets so far
- Make an initial cut across the entire length of the potato down to the center of the potato
- Make a second cut across the entire length of the potato that starts anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" from the initial cut, and angle it in down to the center of the potato so that it meets the first cut at the center and makes a thin wedge . Even if the depth isn't an inch, it seems to work fine as long as I cut to the center.
- Remove and discard the wedge
- Stick in microwave for 7-8 minutes depending on potato size and wattage of your microwave. You may need to add more time if your wattage is lower, but too much time tends to make the skin too crusty. Mine all came out perfect with a small potato at 7 min, a medium at 7:30, and a large at 8:00.

For what it's worth, I place my potato directly on the rotating glass plate in the microwave rather than putting it on a paper towel or regular plate while microwaving. I place it with cut-out wedge side facing up.

Thanks to the OP for the great suggestion. This is my new "go to" method for a quick and tasty baked potato meal.
hastings

Next

Return to The Lounge