WFPB Video or movie that inspired you to change

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

WFPB Video or movie that inspired you to change

Postby ImHere » Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 am

HI all, I have been lurking on these boards for years and following the diet about 70%, about 8 months ago I went 95% and feel great.

My question is regarding my husband who follows this diet 0%. He is 52. On Monday he had a heart attack and a stent was placed. The Dr. said the vein "widow maker" was 100% blocked.

So my question is what movie or video most influenced your decision or that you think lays out the science in the most understandable way. He does not read books so no books suggestions please.

Thank you for your help.
ImHere
ImHere

Re: WFPB Video or movie that inspired you to change

Postby foodaddict » Wed May 24, 2017 7:27 am

Hello

Sorry to hear about your husband I hope he will recover from his heart attack.

the movie that made me stop eating mammals and drink their milk was the mad cowboy video

https://youtu.be/piZmH4gzyqs

the other changes I made came from reading books and talking to people on this forum.

I cant specify what exact videos I think inspired me the most of dr McDougalls videos as there are so many and I watched most of them or at least 90% of them

But the Mad Cowboy videos made me quit eating mammals for sure dont want to have anymore EVER.
Last edited by foodaddict on Thu May 25, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I started to eat meat again to ripe the benefits of it. They eat meat in the bible. why should not we continue to eat it? I hate manipulated facts !
foodaddict

Postby MINNIE » Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 am

Hi, ImHere.

I'm sorry about your situation -I hope your husband will be open to at least thinking about this.

I actually found out about the food/health/heart connection through books. But a movie that might be helpful is Forks Over Knives. The reason I recommend this one, is that (among other topics) it specifically talks about heart disease rather than just a general appeal to concerns about the environment or animal welfare.

Those are worthy and important topics, but for someone who is already threatened by coronary artery disease it might be good to focus on that aspect at first.

If he doesn't read books, would he be open to hearing an audio book? You might find these for free at your local library if you don't want to pay for printed materials he won't look at. If you can get an audio book of Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, that is the most specific source I can think of that addresses your husband's situation.

I lost my own beloved husband to coronary artery disease (sudden cardiac arrest) at a young age. I really wish I had known about the lifestyle changes that might have saved him, but that information wasn't available at the time. I truly wish you the best in helping your husband.
MINNIE

Postby bbq » Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 am

My favorite talk Treating the Cause to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Esselstyn:

http://youtu.be/U1varIImYec

Here are the PowerPoint slides of that talk:

http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Caldwell-Esselstyn.pdf

Lectures by both Drs. Campbell and Esselstyn in the House Chamber:

https://www.ket.org/episode/WLEGP+011051/

To download a copy of the video, please kindly visit https://www.cpclips.com and then paste this link below:

https://5878fd1ed5422.streamlock.net/wordpress/_definst_/mp4:wlegp/wlegp_011051.mp4/playlist.m3u8

More information about those lectures:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcpubs/rm509.pdf#page=11
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/opinion/contributors/2015/06/20/lobbyists-keeping-plant-based-diets/29033569/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48581

Finally here's a list of podcast interviews with Dr. Esselstyn:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49395

It's easy to save those MP3 files and transfer all of them to a phone or a tablet, then we could listen to those interviews one by one.
bbq

Postby gracezw » Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 am

For problems with eating animal products in general, I highly recommend the new film "What the Health"! You can search previous discussions with the film name as the subject title.
gracezw

Postby Kaye » Thu May 25, 2017 3:19 am

I highly recommend Forks over Knives as well or there are some great shorter videos of lectures such as this one by Dr Esselstyn on heart disease

http://nutritionstudies.org/dr-caldwell ... s-history/

and this one from Robert Ostfeld a cardiologist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsklVxBujho
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 am

I first became aware of Dr. McDougall back in the 90s, actually, because of the infomercial star Susan Powter. She did not specifically recommend plant-based, but she did recommend very low fat and in the back of one of her books, she acknowledged Drs. Ornish, McDougall and others for giving her the tools to change her life. Sadly for me, I did not heed this advice and have gained back nearly all of the weight now that I lost back then. Almost starting from square one now.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby f1jim » Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 am

The answer to which video or movie is the most compelling to making someone change their diet and lifestyle choices is easy.
It's the one someone views AFTER they come to the conclusion that making these changes is their best chance in life.

The bad news is none of the videos or movies will prompt a change in someone not ready to adopt these changes. This website and discussion board are a huge billboard of stories of those wishing for change in a loved one. It reminds me of the old saying.....
A man convinced against his will,
Is of the same opinion still.

I do hope your spouse is of the frame of mind and attitude to make these changes before it's too late. That is his only hope. Neither you or I can instill that in them. No amount of love and caring can instill that in them. It must come from within. If it does there is no stopping them from success. They will then absorb EVERY video and movie on the subject.

The heart attack was a wake up call for you. A strong reinforcement for you. Because you were ready for it and accepting. The real question is whether your husband is. A heart attack could be just what he needs fr the lightbulb to come on. For others it will have zero effect. Let's hope the lightbulb has come on for him. Please keep us posted on his progress.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby pundit999 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:40 am

Sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack. I hope he did not lose any heart muscle and has recovered fully. A large percentage of STEMI heart attack victims do not survive. He is very lucky.

I have reversed my heart disease by adopting this way of eating. You can see my testimonials over the years by searching my posts.

For me, reading the book by Dr Esselstyn, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" was the key. In addition to reading the reviews of this book at Amazon. There is some good stuff there.

But for videos, I recommend Fork Over Knives also. Also I recommend the videos on YouTube by Dr Esselstyn. Additionally, I was positively affected by "The Last Heart Attack" by Dr Gupta at CNN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9fow8JKW4

Tell him that heart disease is in fact quite easy to treat and possibly reverse. But he has to stop listening to the main stream cardiologists as far as what to eat, and diet's role in heart disease.

There are also video testimonials at this site from several Star McDougallers related to heart disease. You can find them by searching the site.
pundit999

Postby Willijan » Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 am

When I went on this diet my husband would not even let me tell him about it. Then one day, I was watching the Forks Over Knives video, and he decided to watch with me. He was immediately convinced, and he has remained so. That was 4 or 5 years ago. And he had none of the major, major health problems yet. He is not always 100% compliant, but he tries very hard.

Good luck to your husband and you!
Willijan

Postby patty » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

You didn't mention if you have children. I remember sharing with someone who had lost her husband and daughter to heart disease. I was sharing about the movie Widow Maker, which shows people about your husband's age dying and the impact of the loved one left. There was a lot about stents, which I really don't understand other then it really is about the food, which Dr. McDougall shared they didn't talk about enough. You might watch that for yourself, and your husband might find it interesting as the main character changed his lifestyle, prior but it can be post to having a stent. And what I witness in care giving, people don't understand that they always don't just die, and living without the consequences of chronic disease can be avoided as Dr. McDougall shares they are food borne. It is always not so easy to get out of these bodies. I enjoyed Dr. McDougall's MS online video, as he shares we don't talk enough about a natural death where the organs shut down at one time. Wishing you and your husband the best health with the goal of living independently with the least amount of help to your last breath.

I have heard Dr. McDougall on a video share he would just wish a diet change would be suggested for two weeks, prior to any surgery. And luckily, my son didn't have medical insurance and did change his diet when having chest discomfort and it went away. Of course his old habits came back, but I know he can't deny the relief he experienced.

Dr. Fuhrman in his "End of Heart Disease" shares about someone who did change their diet while experiencing HD…

Barry’s Story: Dramatic Change in Twelve Weeks

I went to Fort Wayne, Indiana, to give a lecture to a large church group of more than seven hundred people. Gaby Henderson coordinated this event. She had lost more than 100 pounds following my advice and had kept the weight off for more than four years. She was excited about sharing my Nutritarian approach with her community.

She had mentioned to me in a prior e-mail correspondence that her husband, Barry, age 53, was experiencing increasing chest pressure and shortness of breath with exertion. It had slowly worsened in intensity, to the point where he could no longer run or even walk uphill. He called his diet “Fuhrman-light” because he still ate out almost every day, in addition to eating the healthy food Gaby prepared for them in the evening. There was Barry, sitting right in the front row of the church, ready to listen to my lecture.

While we were waiting for people to arrive, I asked him how he was feeling, and he told me that recently the pain had become significantly worse. He had been experiencing continuous chest pain, even at rest, since the previous day. In fact, he was having chest pressure and significant discomfort sitting right there in his chair. Wow, I thought to myself. He had really waited too long to get “on board.”

I told him that he was now in a potentially life-threatening position called “unstable angina,” since his condition had advanced to the point that he felt chest pressure even at rest that worsened with activity. He needed to go the emergency room immediately; he could even have been experiencing a heart attack at that very moment.

I don’t know whether it was because of his religious beliefs or his fear of medical care, but he refused. Barry said he would rather die than go to the hospital and be treated for heart disease, and he asked me whether I would still help him.

So I told him that he and his family needed to be aware that he could have a fatal heart attack at any time, because his condition was unstable, and he was placing himself at extremely high risk.

I was concerned that a heart attack was imminent. Certainly, I did not want Barry to die, and I did not want to be held responsible if something bad happened. But he adamantly refused medical care. Instead, he agreed to let me totally control what he put into his mouth.

I told him that he should not make any decisions about what to eat or not eat. I would make those decisions for him, and I would also talk to Gaby about his dietary and supplemental regimen so that she could help him, too.

When he began the Nutritarian diet program, Barry, who was 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighed 183 pounds and had an average blood pressure of 160/ 108 mmHg. Within three months, he lost 30 pounds and his angina symptoms faded away. The sensation of chest pressure lightened in a few days, and within a week he no longer experienced chest pain at rest. His blood pressure came down to 130/ 80 during that first week. After two to three weeks, he was able to walk a few blocks without experiencing chest pain. After eight weeks, he was able to jog without symptoms. And after twelve weeks, he was able to do any amount of physical activity, even run fast, without any signs of angina. After one year on the program, his weight was down to 154 pounds, his blood pressure averaged 112/ 75 mmHg, and he continued to live in excellent health without any angina symptoms.

In twelve weeks, Barry went from being a cardiac cripple, unable to walk without pain and hovering close to death’s door, to feeling normal— all without a stress test, cardiac catheterization, stent placement, or bypass surgery. He would still have been recovering and rehabbing from bypass surgery at that twelve-week point if he had gone to the emergency room, yet in the same time frame, after a different choice, he was essentially cured.

Barry never should have waited until his condition was so precarious to seek help. But even with the most severely obstructed patients, this life-threatening condition can completely resolve quickly with dietary intervention alone. Of course, Barry’s atherosclerosis was not entirely gone within those twelve weeks, but it will continue to lessen as he stays on the program. Most importantly, his vulnerable (most dangerous) plaque transformed and became nonvulnerable and nonobstructing.

This simple, illustrative case makes an important point and is an excellent teaching tool, especially when you recognize that bypass surgery and angioplasty do not prevent future cardiac events or extend life span in heart patients. These procedures just relieve symptoms temporarily, like a Band-Aid, while the disease process remains and advances throughout the coronary vasculature. 1 In Barry’s case, his reversal reflected a true reduction of risk, not a temporary fix like one gets from drugs and surgical interventions.

Fuhrman, Joel (2016-04-05). The End of Heart Disease: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease (Kindle Location 360). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby calvin » Thu May 25, 2017 7:42 pm

The video I always refer newbies to is

The Starch Solution

Tell him it's free, he doesn't have to leave the house, it only lasts an hour, it summarizes everything.
calvin

Postby ImHere » Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies.

Minnie - I am sorry for your loss. I am very lucky that my husband survived. I have known about this diet for at least 10 years, however he never was willing to eat my foods.

Bbq - thanks for all the links. I will check them out when I have time.

F1jim - thank you for this comment. I was feeling guilty for not putting more pressure on him to change earlier. You are correct, there is nothing I could have done. Until he is ready to change he won't change.

Pundit999 - I will check out your testimonial posts when I have time. Thank you for reminding me of the Star McDougallers. I found a testimony from Kelly Caraway that is very similar to my husbands story. I will print this out for him to read.

I will be checking out Forks over Knifes soon. I think we can get it on Amazon Prime.

My husband is home now and doing well. So far he is avoiding animal products and adding lots of vegetables and fruits and since I don't cook with oil or salt he is not getting these either. This is a huge change from his previous diet of hot wings and pepsi.

I plan to show him a few videos while I have a bored and captive audience this week since he is not supposed to drive.

Thank you all again.
ImHere
ImHere

Postby spinner » Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm

I am so sympathetic. My husband refuses to give up cheese, ice cream, and candy. I hope your husband is doing well in his recovery. Don't forget to take good care of yourself during this stressful time.

Years ago I watched Dean Ornish on a Nova (PBS) program and was fascinated. I read his books. Years later I saw the movie, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. Then I saw Joel Fuhrman on PBS. Then, after reading everything I could, I heard Dr. Esselstyn speak. After that I went to a lecture by Neal Barnard. I keep reading and listening and hope to one day see Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick in person. Although I know what to eat, it's still a work in progress, but it's getting better.

Many people get spurred on by the movie, Forks Over Knives. Veg Source sells a set of dvds of Dr. Esselstyn's intensive one day course for heart patients at the Cleveland Clinic (http://www.vegsource.com/news/2011/12/d ... video.html). This is a more medically oriented set of dvds but may scare your husband into getting serious. Let us know if he responds to one of the suggested movies or dvd sets. Best wishes.
spinner

Postby Dougalling » Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 am

Hi

This 18 minute video by Rip Esselstyn is one that anyone can watch. It packs a punch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEYcm ... 110.284106
Dougalling

Next

Return to The Lounge