What Causes Gestational Diabetes?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What Causes Gestational Diabetes?

Postby Spiral » Wed May 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Anne Bingham, Dr. Esselstyn's daughter-in-law, and OB-GYN discusses Gestational Diabetes.

You can view the webcast here.

It's counter-intuitive for many people, the idea that by eating more (healthy) carbohydrates, less fat and protein, you can reverse gestational diabetes.
Spiral

Re: What Causes Gestational Diabetes?

Postby healthyvegan » Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 am

this was a really great video, thanks for sharing!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Spiral » Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm

healthyvegan wrote:this was a really great video, thanks for sharing!

You're welcome.

On facebook, I am part of a nutrition oriented discussion group.

One pregnant woman who participates in the group says she is torn between the advice given by the plant based doctors to eat a low fat whole foods plant based diet low in calorie density and her health care providers who tell her that the key to avoiding gestational diabetes is to avoid carbohydrate heavy foods. They even suggested that she eat fast food as long as it isn't carb heavy.

I'm glad to see that Dr. Esselstyn's daughter in-law is available to set women straight.
Spiral

Postby Gwen » Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 pm

I was tested for gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy because the baby was HUGE. But I didn't have it. I just have big babies. My first was 11 pounds and my second was 9 pounds, 11oz.
Gwen
Gwen

Postby Spiral » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm

It seems like more and more woman are giving birth to very large babies. This can't be good.

Maybe it's because of this rage about "getting enough protein" for the growing baby.
Spiral

Postby Lyndzie » Sun May 21, 2017 5:19 am

Loved the video - thanks for posting.

I've known two people get gestational diabetes in the past few years. One person was obese to start, and ended up weighing less after the baby was born than before she was pregnant by strictly following the recommended low-carb diet. Even though the diet was very high in meat and cheese, it was a huge improvement over what she had been previously eating. The other person was fit, but following the Weston Price diet, which is essentially Paleo with a bunch of lacto-fermented foods. The high-fat diets with animal products are bad news.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to The Lounge