Time Restricted Feeding

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Time Restricted Feeding

Postby Skip » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 am

We know that many people find it to difficult change their diet to a healthier one, like a WFPB one. However, one can improve their health by not changing what they eat but when they eat. Health improves when people limit their feeding window and by doing so increase their fasting window.

This is an excellent website (lots of videos) explaining this: http://blog.mycircadianclock.org/science/

This simple intervention might have a more profound effect on the overall population's health because people can do it without having to change the food that they eat and it isn't that difficult to do.

Add a WFPB diet plan and exercise and wow, that would be powerful! But we know only a few percent of the population do this.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: Time Restricted Feeding

Postby Helpinghands » Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 pm

It will work if you've got forty or fifty years to devote to the process. I remember when I first saw Doctor Panda's 47 minute presentation using rats and fruit flies. I was stunned at his results, especially in those rats that had eating restricted to 8/9 hours. They were able to run dramatically longer times than any other rat, even those time restricted to 12 hours. I then read the two actual studies and was even more excited about what I read. That is until something struck me like a bolt of lighting. What? The rats AND the flies needed HALF their lifetimes to achieve those results. In human terms you're talking about forty or more years. While I think time restricted eating makes sense to achieve good morning fasting blood sugar numbers I wonder how well it will work for the majority of people on this way of eating. In my case morning fasting is in the low eighties if I don't eat after seven and in the low nineties when I eat after 8:00 PM. It just might be too much of a challenge to restrict eating to under twelve hours while at the same time introducing and maintaining a new way of eating. By the way, both his studies clearly show that eating restricted WHILE eating a healthy low fat diet worked the best in terms of health and weight control.
Helpinghands

Postby Skip » Fri May 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Helpinghands wrote:It will work if you've got forty or fifty years to devote to the process.

What does "it will work" mean to you?
Some biomarkers will improve after doing this one day! Listen to the Ruth Patterson interview on the link I provided for more info.
Skip

Postby Helpinghands » Sat May 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Some biomarkers will improve after doing this one day! Listen to the Ruth Patterson interview on the link I provided for more info.

Listen a little bit more carefully. Nothing changes overnight. The brief bit about overnight was that blood sugar would be lower from an overnight fast than if the patient ate breakfast before taking the test. It would also be lower five hours after a meal than one hour after eating. In the first five sentences she clearly talks about decades before breast cancer risk falls from nothing other than a change in eating pattern. About the only item changing short term as she mentions is A1C and we are talking about three months.
Helpinghands

Postby Skip » Sat May 13, 2017 1:08 pm

By doing an "advanced search" for "time restricted feeding" I see that this topic has been discussed in the past. For those that have adopted a 16/8 (or whatever the timing may be, for example 16/8 or 14/10 or 12/12) feeding, have they been able to stick with it and have they found a difference in how they feel.
Skip

Postby Skip » Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Helpinghands wrote: In the first five sentences she clearly talks about decades before breast cancer risk falls from nothing other than a change in eating pattern

She also discusses a study she did which looked at the recurrence of breast cancer for 2,500 breast cancer patients. Those patients who had at least a 13 hour fasting period showed a 40% chance of avoiding recurrence. This study went back 7 years (they had 7 years of food data being what and when you ate), not decades.

Total fasting (followed with a WFPB diet for long term results) has been shown to improve health dramatically in a matter of weeks and even days for people with a variety of health issues. The True North Health Center has many examples of this.

This is a form of fasting that has been shown to improve the health of animals and I believe will help humans too. I know that I sleep better and feel more energetic the next day when I increase the length of my fast. That's enough proof for me (I know, an n=1 example).
Skip

Postby Helpinghands » Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 am

I never said it was't any good. I was simply stating that trying to do too much at one time would distract folks from their primary goal of eating McDougall. Change too much too soon and people stop everything thinking it's too much effort to be healthy. Better to stay with the McDougall program especially in the first few years and not start throwing in a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the food.
Helpinghands

Postby Skip » Sun May 14, 2017 9:53 am

Helpinghands wrote:I never said it was't any good. I was simply stating that trying to do too much at one time would distract folks from their primary goal of eating McDougall. Change too much too soon and people stop everything thinking it's too much effort to be healthy. Better to stay with the McDougall program especially in the first few years and not start throwing in a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the food.

I have been McDougall'ing for a long time and I'm sure many other people on this site have been also (but that doesn't really matter). I am always looking to improve my health and IF may be helpful. Of course getting the food plan right takes priority and is of prime importance. The beauty of IF for the general public is that people don't have to change what they eat, only change when they eat. I don't see that restricting the time you eat or don't eat is in opposition to trying to adopt a starch based diet. You may get really hungry during the fasting periods and break down and eat, but how does that prevent you from eating starch based foods?
Skip

Postby Skip » Thu May 18, 2017 4:42 am

Skip

Postby Skip » Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 pm

http://blog.insidetracker.com/time-restricted-feeding#

My experiment with TRF continues ....it's like day 3 or 4 now and I've noticed some positive changes....
Has anyone else tried TRF? I am on an 8 hour feeding window (10am to 6pm) and a 16 hour fasting window. What motivated me to do this is that I was waking up in the middle of the night raiding the refrigerator and I needed a plan to stop that. Also, the Salk Institutes results with mice impressed me.
Skip

Postby patty » Tue May 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Are you asking about intermittent fasting? I found eating in a 5 hour afternoon to evening window worked for me. I feel it is a great way to tweak your food and it gives your digestive system a rest. A eight hour window sounds good. The body likes habits. Once you go off though you have to wait till the wave comes back to catch it again. Displine is magical:) I found I was satisfied with two meals and no eating in-between. And it would cut out the night time cravings. The volume eating decreases. Everything simplifies.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby Skip » Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 am

patty wrote:Are you asking about intermittent fasting? I found eating in a 5 hour afternoon to evening window worked for me. I feel it is a great way to tweak your food and it gives your digestive system a rest. A eight hour window sounds good.

Yes, TRF = Time Restricted Feeding which is a form of intermittent fasting just as you practice. It seems like the longer "break" of a "fast", the better off you are when "breakfast" time arrives. Better sleep and energy happens (and other biomarker stuff).....

This has been shown to be true with mice and more and more evidence is accumulating for humans.
Skip

Postby DanTheYogi » Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 am

Skip wrote:
patty wrote:Are you asking about intermittent fasting? I found eating in a 5 hour afternoon to evening window worked for me. I feel it is a great way to tweak your food and it gives your digestive system a rest. A eight hour window sounds good.

Yes, TRF = Time Restricted Feeding which is a form of intermittent fasting just as you practice. It seems like the longer "break" of a "fast", the better off you are when "breakfast" time arrives. Better sleep and energy happens (and other biomarker stuff).....

This has been shown to be true with mice and more and more evidence is accumulating for humans.

How much food are you eating, approximately? I'm not one to count calories/macros at all, but I eat food so low in calorie density (i.e. very low fat mcdougall). I usually eat 3 or 4 decent sized meals a day (plus some snacking) just to meet my daily energy needs. My bmi is already around 20, so I'm not looking to lose any weight.

How do you space your meals out? Are you doing 2 or 3 meals? Do you snack/graze in-between?
DanTheYogi

Postby Skip » Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 am

DanTheYogi wrote:How much food are you eating, approximately? I'm not one to count calories/macros at all, but I eat food so low in calorie density (i.e. very low fat mcdougall). I usually eat 3 or 4 decent sized meals a day (plus some snacking) just to meet my daily energy needs. My bmi is already around 20, so I'm not looking to lose any weight.

How do you space your meals out? Are you doing 2 or 3 meals? Do you snack/graze in-between?

I estimate that I eat 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day. Why do you ask? I am eating 3 (4 hours apart) meals with some snacks too. Again, why do you ask? My BMI is 22.5 and my goal is to get it down to 22.0 (and then reevaluate if I want to get it lower).
Skip

Postby DanTheYogi » Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 am

Skip wrote:
DanTheYogi wrote:How much food are you eating, approximately? I'm not one to count calories/macros at all, but I eat food so low in calorie density (i.e. very low fat mcdougall). I usually eat 3 or 4 decent sized meals a day (plus some snacking) just to meet my daily energy needs. My bmi is already around 20, so I'm not looking to lose any weight.

I estimate that I eat 2,000 to 2,500 calories per day. Why do you ask? I am eating 3 (4 hours apart) meals with some snacks too. Again, why do you ask? My BMI is 22.5 and my goal is to get it down to 22.0 (and then reevaluate if I want to get it lower).

I would personally worry about getting enough calories in for the day in an 8 hour window. I would like to try it though. I have a tight schedule is the thing so I'm not sure what the best time for my feeding window would be. I've been skipping breakfast lately with no issues so I'm already not eating til around 11. The tricky part for me would be avoiding eating before bedtime.
DanTheYogi

Next

Return to The Lounge