Washington Post: Disease killing White Americans

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Washington Post: Disease killing White Americans

Postby hazelrah » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:54 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... n-opioids/
Sometimes even fake news may be worth considering.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: Washington Post: Disease killing White Americans

Postby openmind » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:24 am

hazelrah wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/24/the-disease-killing-white-americans-goes-way-deeper-than-opioids/
Sometimes even fake news may be worth considering.

Mark

Interesting that there is discussion of heart disease, but not discussion of diet.

I think an analysis will show middle aged whites with less than a college diploma eat more meat, dairy and junkfood.
openmind

Postby hazelrah » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:38 am

openmind wrote:
Interesting that there is discussion of heart disease, but not discussion of diet.

I think an analysis will show middle aged whites with less than a college diploma eat more meat, dairy and junkfood.

I hadn't thought about that. I just kept thinking how well it fits into the narrative we tell ourselves here and that it sounds exactly like the problem The Starch solution is trying to solve.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Risto » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks for that. It's a pretty startling statistical graph.

Washington Post wrote:The pain in their bodies might reflect a “spiritual” pain caused by “cumulative distress, and the failure of life to turn out as expected.”

I think there's something here: people compare themselves to their neighbors and their expectations. Suffering a relative decline in socioeconomic status seems to always be hard, even if the income of that group doesn't decline in absolute terms or isn't close to poverty or anything. The US has had a (further) increase in income inequality in the period the article refers to, the last 15 years.

My country suffered a financial crash and a severe recession in the beginning of the 1990s. Unemployment jumped to 20 % for a while. Some of the expected health problems and suicides didn't materialize - the rate of suicide has actually declined since 1990 - apparently because it was suddenly socially acceptable to be doing badly, and even to seek psychiatric help, because more or less everyone was in the same situation. The economy turned around quite quickly after that, so the experience is probably not comparable to e.g. an industrial town that has been in decline for decades.
Risto

Postby patty » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:21 am

Risto wrote:My country suffered a financial crash and a severe recession in the beginning of the 1990s. Unemployment jumped to 20 % for a while. Some of the expected health problems and suicides didn't materialize - the rate of suicide has actually declined since 1990 - apparently because it was suddenly socially acceptable to be doing badly, and even to seek psychiatric help, because more or less everyone was in the same situation. The economy turned around quite quickly after that, so the experience is probably not comparable to e.g. an industrial town that has been in decline for decades.

It's the environment, Bruce Lipton would say. As being a cell biologist he learned when the petri dish of cells weren't they weren't doing very well, he changed their environment. He shares we are like 50 trillion skin covered petri dishes of cells. A small city. In the doors of AA opened for women after Betty Ford came out as a alcoholic. What happened is women had a place to network. My sponsor told me men would chase your a** but women would save it. A lot of women die from men working their program on them, but that isn't true with women as women to women learned to network. And as Dr. McDougall would say, "It's the Food!" The addiction dominos stop with food and money. It is a game changer for the bottom feeders as Dr. Campbell shares in "Whole" it has to be from the bottom up. The environment is changing.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge