marital discord

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: marital discord

Postby Ron4310 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 am

bbq wrote:What if we're replacing the words foods and diets etc. with something else such as gambling, tobacco, alcohol, and narcotics?

People will rationalize anything. I don't drink alcohol at all. But people will say to me, "Well you can have some wine". DUH! They don't relate wine to alcohol. People are so programed that they don't know anything about food and health - even my doctor knows nothing about food or nutrition. I know tons more than he does.
Ron4310

Postby landog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 am

Sorry to interrupt this discussion on marital discord. Like Jim, I'm blessed with a spouse who's on board. It actually went something like this:

A few days after reading a newspaper article about Dr. Esselstyn and heart disease prevention, I got on the computer in the den and started researching it a little more. It all made perfect sense to me.

My wife was in the kitchen. I hollered over to her, "Hey, honey, we have to change our diet."
"Yeah, how?"
"No meat, no dairy, no oil"
"Why?"
"prevents heart attacks"
"OK"

Within a week, I had discovered this forum and I had met Dr. Esselstyn and Ann Esselstyn in person.

I'm always amazed when I look back and see how my wife jumped on board so readily. This thread reminded me of that.

I apologize - I'm no help with this topic.
landog

Postby landog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

Ron4310 wrote: I don't drink alcohol at all. But people will say to me, "Well you can have some wine".

"I'm a vegetarian"
"How about fish?"

:\
landog

Postby Ron4310 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 pm

landog wrote:
Ron4310 wrote: I don't drink alcohol at all. But people will say to me, "Well you can have some wine".

"I'm a vegetarian"
"How about fish?"

:\

LOL. Yes I worked with a guy that always made a point of being vegetarian, but he ate fish every Friday. His reasoning was that fish was not meat.???
Ron4310

Postby bbq » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 pm

I've been good 6 outta 7 days a week, it doesn't hurt to have have a little treat.

I guess that's why they're promoting stuff like Beet Free Monday or Wheat Free Everyday?
bbq

Postby Kaye » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm lucky too. At first my OH wasn't keen to go back to being vegetarian/vegan, he wanted to hang on to some of his favourite foods which I thought was odd as he never really liked meat anyway and used to examine it before eating and poking it about the plate, although he was a big cheese eater. I started reading bits out of Dr Greger's How not to Die book to him, not in a lecturing sort of way but "wow I didn't know that, did you" - I told him I was going WFPB but that I would still cook different food for him if he wanted it but within a couple of weeks he was so happy eating my food he told me to stop buying any meat or dairy and we haven't looked back. He started to lose weight straight away and his blood pressure came down plus so many aches and pains just disappeared. Now we are known as the "odd couple" but who cares :-D
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Previous

Return to The Lounge