If you have heart disease?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: If you have heart disease?

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47254&p=487248&#p487248

Some weeks I do a little more, some a little less. I'll be 59 this year.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing. This helps a lot. :)
Poison Ivy

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Diet and exercise work hand in hand. One does not trump the other.
Eating well and being a couch potato is asking for trouble.
Exercising and eating horribly is asking for trouble.
I've heard "See a doctor before starting an exercise program" for about 40 years now so I think that would be good advice.
Aerobics mainly for the heart and lungs.
Strength training mainly for bones and muscles.
Both for overall health.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for.
Dougalling

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 pm

JeffN wrote:https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47254&p=487248&#p487248

In Health
Jeff

Thanks for sharing your numbers - always great to see the transparency. Just curious, do you consider yourself to be a CR practitioner? I know you are keenly interested in its research, and your biomarkers would more or less indicate a CR status, wouldn't they?
Drew_ab

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Dougalling wrote:Diet and exercise work hand in hand. One does not trump the other.
Eating well and being a couch potato is asking for trouble.
Exercising and eating horribly is asking for trouble.
I've heard "See a doctor before starting an exercise program" for about 40 years now so I think that would be good advice.
Aerobics mainly for the heart and lungs.
Strength training mainly for bones and muscles.
Both for overall health.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

If one takes the example of the Blue Zones, then diet definitely does trump exercise, at least as is defined by American standards. Those living in Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Loma Linda, California; etc. move, but they don't belong to gyms nor do they runs marathons. It does make one wonder! Perhaps it's simply the avoidance of sitting, the NEAT, etc.

Dr. McDougall would certainly place diet FAR ahead of exercise, as he has indicated on his webinars several times.
Drew_ab

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Drew_ab wrote:
JeffN wrote:https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47254&p=487248&#p487248

In Health
Jeff

Thanks for sharing your numbers - always great to see the transparency. Just curious, do you consider yourself to be a CR practitioner? I know you are keenly interested in its research, and your biomarkers would more or less indicate a CR status, wouldn't they?

More or less. :)

I was influenced early on by Roy Walford, his research, and his first book when it first came out in 1987, which I read about 4.5 years after The McDougall Plan came out (1983), and have incorporated the principles ever since. While at Pritikin, we did a tribute to him and interviewed his daughter Lisa. (Scroll down at this link).

http://www.pritikin.com/eperspective/05 ... ging.shtml

Here are the 3 sections where Roy Walford discusses Pritikin in his book. If you click on each one, it opens up and you can read the sections where Pritikin is highlighted

https://books.google.com/books?id=I0GeW ... in&f=false

When I joined McDougall, I asked Dr McDougall to invite Dr Fontana to speak at an ASW, who came and spoke in Sept 2009.

I was a very active member of the Yahoo CRsupportgroup list for many years (>10) and have been a longtime lurker of the CR society lists/groups.

One of the many highlight of my speaking engagements in Tucson was to visit the Biosphere 2.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LindaEveDia ... 5000097521

Enough said? :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 pm

JeffN wrote:
Drew_ab wrote:

In Health
Jeff

More or less. :)

I was influenced early on by Roy Walford, his research, and his first book when it first came out in 1987, which I read about 4.5 years after The McDougall Plan came out (1983), and have incorporated the principles ever since. While at Pritikin, we did a tribute to him and interviewed his daughter Lisa. (Scroll down at this link).

http://www.pritikin.com/eperspective/05 ... ging.shtml

Here are the 3 sections where Roy Walford discusses Pritikin in his book. If you click on each one, it opens up and you can read the sections where Pritikin is highlighted

https://books.google.com/books?id=I0GeW ... in&f=false

When I joined McDougall, I asked Dr McDougall to invite Dr Fontana to speak at an ASW, who came and spoke in Sept 2009.

I was a very active member of the Yahoo CRsupportgroup list for many years (>10) and have been a longtime lurker of the CR society lists/groups.

One of the many highlight of my speaking engagements in Tucson was to visit the Biosphere 2.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LindaEveDia ... 5000097521

Enough said? :)

In Health
Jeff

Enough said indeed! I didn't realise that Biosphere 2 had become such a tourist attraction - thanks for sharing those photos. I too lurk (and post a little) at the CR society and follow it's activity closely, along with that of Paul McGlothin and Meredith over at LivingTheCRWay. I'm a little heftier at a BMI of 20.7 and have been following a WFPB/CR-ish regime for about 6 years now and am 32. I hope to live long enough to find out if CR has any additive benefits to an ad-lib WFPB diet. That is, if we ever have the info to determine that!
Drew_ab

Postby brec » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 pm

4 1/3 years ago at age 67, after having angina and having "abnormal wall motion" observed on a post stress-test sonogram, I started eating WFPB. A couple of weeks later I had an angiogram and was told that I had some severe stenoses and was advised to have a double bypass and to avoid any heavy weights in the gym. I declined that advice. I currently climb 100 flights of Stairmaster stairs daily, occasionally jog and hike, and usually, i.e. when not traveling, do resistance work 3x/week with a trainer, lifting as heavy as I can. I feel good.
brec

Postby pundit999 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:33 am

brec wrote:4 1/3 years ago at age 67, after having angina and having "abnormal wall motion" observed on a post stress-test sonogram, I started eating WFPB. A couple of weeks later I had an angiogram and was told that I had some severe stenoses and was advised to have a double bypass and to avoid any heavy weights in the gym. I declined that advice. I currently climb 100 flights of Stairmaster stairs daily, occasionally jog and hike, and usually, i.e. when not traveling, do resistance work 3x/week with a trainer, lifting as heavy as I can. I feel good.

Wow! This is great brec. Congratulations!

I don't exercise nearly as much as you, but my experience, having been told I had severe blockages sans an angiogram, is strikingly similar.
pundit999

Postby JeffN » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:15 pm

On why Apo B may be a better then LDL

In Health
Jeff

To help save the heart, is it time to retire cholesterol tests?
Mitch Leslie
Science 08 Dec 2017:
Vol. 358, Issue 6368, pp. 1237-1238
DOI: 10.1126/science.358.6368.1237
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/358/6368/1237

Summary
Doctors typically gauge our risk of developing heart disease from our levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol or non–high density lipoprotein cholesterol. But some researchers argue that the blood protein apolipoprotein B (apoB) is a more accurate indicator because it captures the number of cholesterol-carrying particles that cause atherosclerosis. ApoB backers point to recent analyses that found high apoB levels better predicted patients' likelihood of suffering a heart attack or stroke and a genetic study that showed that reducing apoB had a bigger effect on cardiovascular risk than did reducing LDL cholesterol. However, many researchers remain convinced that switching to measuring apoB would not provide enough benefit to outweigh the disruption to clinical procedures that would result.

What is ApoB?
If You Want To Protect Yourself From Heart Attacks And Other Cardiovascular Woes, It’s A Good Idea To Learn About Apo B.
https://www.pritikin.com/what-is-apob

A growing body of research is finding that apoB may be a better predictor of heart disease risk than long-standing federal guidelines for “good” HDL and “bad” LDL cholesterol. What is apoB? (Its official name is apolipoprotein B.
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Another one (a review) on why Apo B may be a better then LDL

Apolipoprotein B Particles and Cardiovascular Disease: A Narrative Review. JAMA Cardiol. Published online October 23, 2019. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2019.3780

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaca ... le/2753612

Abstract

Importance The conventional model of atherosclerosis presumes that the mass of cholesterol within very low-density lipoprotein particles, low-density lipoprotein particles, chylomicron, and lipoprotein (a) particles in plasma is the principal determinant of the mass of cholesterol that will be deposited within the arterial wall and will drive atherogenesis. However, each of these particles contains one molecule of apolipoprotein B (apoB) and there is now substantial evidence that apoB more accurately measures the atherogenic risk owing to the apoB lipoproteins than does low-density lipoprotein cholesterol or non–high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.

Observations Cholesterol can only enter the arterial wall within apoB particles. However, the mass of cholesterol per apoB particle is variable. Therefore, the mass of cholesterol that will be deposited within the arterial wall is determined by the number of apoB particles that are trapped within the arterial wall. The number of apoB particles that enter the arterial wall is determined primarily by the number of apoB particles within the arterial lumen. However, once within the arterial wall, smaller cholesterol-depleted apoB particles have a greater tendency to be trapped than larger cholesterol-enriched apoB particles because they bind more avidly to the glycosaminoglycans within the subintimal space of the arterial wall. Thus, a cholesterol-enriched particle would deposit more cholesterol than a cholesterol-depleted apoB particle whereas more, smaller apoB particles that enter the arterial wall will be trapped than larger apoB particles. The net result is, with the exceptions of the abnormal chylomicron remnants in type III hyperlipoproteinemia and lipoprotein (a), all apoB particles are equally atherogenic.

Conclusions and Relevance Apolipoprotein B unifies, amplifies, and simplifies the information from the conventional lipid markers as to the atherogenic risk attributable to the apoB lipoproteins.
JeffN

Postby gracezw » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:57 pm

Jeff, thanks for the update! I am learning about apo b!
gracezw

Postby Shariinsd » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:54 pm

f1jim wrote:I believe that while much of the symptoms of heart disease can be reduced or eliminated we will still have compromised arteries in terms of capacity to flow blood. If the heart can't get enough blood to keep up with the physical demands put on it bad things can happen. f1jim

Is this WOE actually reversing heart disease or just eliminating the symptoms? Do we know,and/or is it possible for the arteries to repair themselves over time? What about the actual heart muscle?

Shari
Shariinsd

Postby landog » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:31 pm

f1jim wrote:If the heart can't get enough blood to keep up with the physical demands put on it bad things can happen.
f1jim

Bad things can happen...
landog

Previous

Return to The Lounge