Will this work for me?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Will this work for me?

Postby tomj777 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm middle aged and recently diagnosed as a Type II diabetic. This past week, I tried eating McDougall style for breakfast and lunch, then somewhat more "normal" for dinner, i.e, baked chicken and veggies. My blood sugar readings didn't change at all, but I did gain 2 pounds. I'm wondering if this can work for me and if anyone has any thoughts?
tomj777

Re: Will this work for me?

Postby Willijan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes, tomj, it will work for you. Here is a link to a video by Dr. McDougall about Type II diabetes. It is less than 2 1/2 minutes long. It will answer your question.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -diabetes/

There are many other articles written by Dr. McDougall about Type II diabetes. Just search for "diabetes" and a list will come up. His articles are excellent.

I am always surprised at the number of people who go on the discussion board to ask questions, when they could get better information from the doctor himself. Of course, after reading articles on a topic useful to you, you can ask more questions on the discussion board.

Don't be discouraged. The program will work. And you can learn to do the program. It does take work, to learn what to cook, how to cook it, and to find out what tastes good to you. But you can eat very simple foods if you don't like to cook. (There are resources on this website for simple meals, as well as those involving more time.) And if you don't succeed in staying on the diet immediately, keep going. You will learn to like the food better than your old food. I know, it happened to me, although I am still evolving too.

Whatever you need to do, and however long it takes, this program will be worth it. You will feel like a new man. That is my experience, and my husband's.
Willijan

Postby spinner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Check out the following:
http://www.masteringdiabetes.org/summit/
http://www.mangomannutrition.com
Cyrus and Robby have had remarkable results improving lab numbers for their clients using a low fat whole foods plant based diet. I do not have diabetes but am at high risk, and I watched their recent on line Mastering Diabetes summit and found it interesting and worthwhile. The diet they recommend is very close to what Dr. McDougall recommends. You will need to give up eating all meat, dairy, and added oils, but after watching them explain the biology, you'll understand why. What you can gain is much better control over your numbers. Good luck and best wishes!
spinner

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:11 pm

tomj,

Here is another success story for you, by a person with Type II diabetes, on the McDougall diet, who is having great success.

To read her/his post, go to the Testimonials and Success Stories on the Discussion Board, and read the thread started by Glo, titled "Absolutely Amazing."

Let us know how you are doing!
Willijan

Postby Chikiwing » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 am

tomj777 wrote:I'm middle aged and recently diagnosed as a Type II diabetic. This past week, I tried eating McDougall style for breakfast and lunch, then somewhat more "normal" for dinner, i.e, baked chicken and veggies. My blood sugar readings didn't change at all, but I did gain 2 pounds. I'm wondering if this can work for me and if anyone has any thoughts?

I don't think that is enough of a level of commitment, or time period, to see, or make a difference. But yes, if you follow the McDougall diet you are very likely to see very positive results.
“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby MINNIE » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:00 am

Please give this a fair trial, by eating according to the guidelines for long enough to give it a fair test.

But continuing to eat the same stuff that makes you sick, along with some McDougall-type meals some of the time, will not accomplish the same thing.
MINNIE

Postby f1jim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 am

Agreed!!!!!!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby barryoilbegone » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:37 pm

tomj777 wrote:I'm middle aged and recently diagnosed as a Type II diabetic. This past week, I tried eating McDougall style for breakfast and lunch, then somewhat more "normal" for dinner, i.e, baked chicken and veggies. My blood sugar readings didn't change at all, but I did gain 2 pounds. I'm wondering if this can work for me and if anyone has any thoughts?

Welcome to the boards :) Glad you've discovered the starchivore way. You're obviously just starting out, and congrats on looking for ways to ensure recovery.

It would probably help people here to know as much detail as possible where you're starting from: e.g. any other health conditions past and current; starting body weight and BMI; current medications; and importantly, EXACTLY what you're eating over time. Many people report to Dr McDougall they're compliant, but often looking closely at the details, in some areas, they're not.

Agreed with the other guys here: this is not yet compliant, and chicken every day is probably not going to ensure more than token changes (and how to best monitory change will be related too to where you're starting out from). If you're also on blood sugar altering medications, it's important that these will be reviewed with you by a plant based diet knowledgeable doctor over the course of this way of eating. This ensures that as insulin sensitivity returns, they're dropped and stopped safely.

Hope this helps: and again, congrats for trying to take steps towards improving your health.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Return to The Lounge