Programmable rice cooker/steamer/pressure cooker

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Programmable rice cooker/steamer/pressure cooker

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

Team Instant Pot here. I use mine everyday, multiple times a day. Steel cut oats for breakfast, beans for lunch, rice for dinner, the uses are endless. Love love love it!

Edited for typo.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby NickiM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Colleen Patrick-Goudreau recommended the Fagor as well, yet I see the Instant Pot is quite popular on this board. I''ll think about it!
NickiM

Postby patty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 am

Chumly wrote:It looks like a programmable pressure cooker is going to be my next purchase. I will look at them and determine what size I need and what kind of material(s) they are made of. I like the idea of being able to make yogurt. It is something I greatly enjoyed in the past, but rarely eat now. Can any plant-based milk be used to make yogurt? Does anyone here make it? It sounds like a wonderful occasional dessert to have with some fresh fruit!

Michael

Yes, I have used this recipe:

1 liter organic unsweetened soy milk

Ingredients only water and organic soy beans, I make my own soy milk, though when I buy I purchase Eden's Soy Milk. The reason for unsweetened I think it has something to do with feeding the bacteria in the starter. Soy has more fat.. then Almond. I tired Oat.. didn't care for it.

1/8 tsp vegan yogurt starter
I use GI Pro Start (keep in the freezer).

Directions:

Sterilize jars in the pressure cooker. When the water is cooled down to the correct temperature, a light goes on to add ingredients.

Pour soy milk into a glass jars
Add yogurt starter and stir

Incubate for 12 hours Can be less, depending how tart you want the yogurt.

To make soy cheese, refrigerate in a container with a net to allow excess drainage for additional day. You
can use coffee filters, I use a painter's bag in a sprouting container.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Chumly » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 am

I just purchased a new 6-quart Instant Pot from Amazon. I looked for one locally but all I found were inferior brands that had a high rate of dissatisfied customers.

Does anyone know where there are some good WFPB recipes using the Instant Pot?

Michael
Chumly

Postby Jack Monzon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 pm

The power cord on my Instantpot frayed after very seldom use. I would not consider purchasing this product again.

For rice I have used a Zojirushi rice cooker for at least 7 years, and I love it. Makes delicious steel-cut oats too.
Jack Monzon

Postby Helpinghands » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Chumly, Jill McKeever has a small cookbook based on Instant Pot meals. It's call O M Gee Good, Instant Post Meals, Plant based and oil free. She also has a Youtube channel. There are thirty recipes which are quick, easy and tasty with a reasonable number of ingredient. She's big on soy curls, but you can sub just about anything else you want for this ingredient.
Helpinghands

Postby Chumly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:50 am

My Instant Pot came in yesterday! I guess I'll be using it this weekend to cook some food. Does anyone have some favorite dishes you prepare in an Instant Pot?

Michael
Chumly

Postby patty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:59 am

Chumly wrote:My Instant Pot came in yesterday! I guess I'll be using it this weekend to cook some food. Does anyone have some favorite dishes you prepare in an Instant Pot?

Michael

What is great is you pretty much can do any dish you want. I usually make my chili's. I have purchased a cookbook for pressured cooked meals, but it more of a connivence tool. I ended up giving my daughter the cookbook. Enjoy!!!

Here, Susan Fat Free Vegan Kitchen, I put instant pot in the search and this page came up: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/?s=Instant+pot There is a vegetable soup, but I imagine a lot of the recipes are do able.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:46 am

This morning I used my pressure cooker, to cook Okinawa sweet potatoes that I used with old fashion oats, cooked brown rice, bananas, unsweetened shredded coconut and water for sweet potato bars. After ingredients are mixed in the food processor, i then put in microwave glass dish, microwaved and then cut into squares. Great energy bars to pack for work and extra to refrigerate and freeze. Just think of all the different potatoes/legumes and grains you are going to be able to cook to make other dishes like hummus. Pressured cooked beans are so great.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:58 pm

I noticed Susan Fat Free Vegan posted Instant Pot Black Bean Soup that looks good. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2017/03/si ... -soup.html

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:54 am

Just want to add Susan's instant pot creamy black bean soup turned out really good. I used my cuisinart pressure cooker. Sautéed the onion and then added soaked black beans pressure cooked for 20 minutes with slow release, then added frozen corn, salsa and spices. Cooked enough for additional ingredients. I had blended one third as suggested. What was great was all the aquafaba (brine) of the beans is used. Great soup.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Chumly » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 am

I used the Instant Pot to make a vegetable dish this weekend. I didn't use a recipe. I just used some vegetables I had on hand (sweet potato, cauliflour, onion, corn, celery, and lima beans) and a pouch of Indian seasoning (I forget what it's called), I sauteed the onion in some water, added the rest of the vegetables, and pressure cooked for 10 minutes and then shut it off and let it continue until the pressure released on its own. It came out very tasty! I have some more veggies and I plan on making some more tomorrow night using the rest of the celery, red cabbage, pigeon peas and a curry blend.

Michael
Chumly

Previous

Return to The Lounge