Programmable rice cooker/steamer/pressure cooker

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Programmable rice cooker/steamer/pressure cooker

Postby Chumly » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

I have a small programmable rice cooker that I've been using for years, but I want to get something new to cook larger batches and maybe has more flexibility for making foods. I want to be able to cook rice and lentils or beans, vegetables, etc. I want it to be programmable so I can set it up at night and have food ready the next morning when I wake up. One of the issues I have with mine is the non-stick coating is coming off. I'm hoping to get something with a really tough coating or stainless steel.

What kind of devices do all of you use to make it convenient to prepare hot food?

Michael
Chumly

Re: Programmable rice cooker/steamer/pressure cooker

Postby patty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 am

The Instant Pot has a stainless steel insert. I have a Cuisinart Pressure Cooker and I am very happy with. Last night I made Happy Tummy's Black Bean Potato Chili, and had sautéd' the onions, then added the rest of the ingredients, heated everything up, then switched it to warm to cook overnight. it is nice to do everything in one pot.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby pundit999 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 am

The famous Instant Pot. Check amazon.
pundit999

Postby canadamike » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Another vote for the Instant Pot here. I liked the first one so much, I bought a 2nd one.
canadamike

Postby NickiM » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:19 pm

If I'm understanding the descriptions on the Instant Pot site, the only difference between one 6 qt version and another that costs $20 more is that the latter includes a yogurt-making feature. Don't think I'll need that! Does anyone here find that feature worthwhile while adhering to McDougall guidelines? I suppose perhaps one could make a plant-based "yogurt" as an occasional higher-fat splurge.
NickiM

Postby NickiM » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Also, Chef AJ offers a code one can use for $50 off an Instant Pot -- the code is AJ and it's only applicable on their site, http://instantpot.com/, not Amazon.
Last edited by NickiM on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickiM

Postby vegman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm

NickiM wrote:If I'm understanding the descriptions on the Instant Pot site, the only difference between one 6 qt version and another that costs $20 more is that the latter includes a yogurt-making feature. Don't think I'll need that! Does anyone here find that feature worthwhile while adhering to McDougall guidelines? I suppose perhaps one could make a plant-based "yogurt" as an occasional higher-fat splurge.

Depending upon the temperature, it might be good for geminating grains, e.g., GABA rice, or for making natto.
vegman

Postby NickiM » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Depending upon the temperature, it might be good for geminating grains, e.g., GABA rice, or for making natto.

Thank you for the tip!
NickiM

Postby Vegankit » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 pm

NickiM wrote:If I'm understanding the descriptions on the Instant Pot site, the only difference between one 6 qt version and another that costs $20 more is that the latter includes a yogurt-making feature. Don't think I'll need that! Does anyone here find that feature worthwhile while adhering to McDougall guidelines? I suppose perhaps one could make a plant-based "yogurt" as an occasional higher-fat splurge.
I opted to buy the yogurt maker. While I have never used it, I like having that option. From watching you-tube videos I can see it's easy to make yogurt in the machine if you have the right starter bacteria. I can't stand the vegan yogurts in the grocery store - they are heavily sweetened and unpalatable - and there are times when it would be nice to have a compliant yogurt to use in a recipe. So at some point I probably will make yogurt.

Yes you can make yogurt without it- but you have to be careful about maintaining the temperature which can be fussy if you don't have the right conditions in your room.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby petmomful » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Are you going to make yogurt with almond or soy milk? I have a yogurt maker and this never occurred to me!! :-D
petmomful

Postby f1jim » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:38 am

We have a Fagor 8 quart unit and we love it. 20 minute brown rice, fast cooking beans, it steams, makes yogurt, you name it.
The Fagor uses a ceramic inner pot. Some say that makes for tastier food. I can't say since we never had any other unit.
Don't hesitate, get one of these devices and wonder why you waited!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby jld » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 am

f1jim wrote:We have a Fagor 8 quart unit and we love it. 20 minute brown rice, fast cooking beans, it steams, makes yogurt, you name it.
The Fagor uses a ceramic inner pot. Some say that makes for tastier food. I can't say since we never had any other unit.
Don't hesitate, get one of these devices and wonder why you waited!
f1jim

Is this the one, Jim?

http://m.kohls.com/product/prd-2217091/ ... cooker.jsp
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Postby Chumly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 am

It looks like a programmable pressure cooker is going to be my next purchase. I will look at them and determine what size I need and what kind of material(s) they are made of. I like the idea of being able to make yogurt. It is something I greatly enjoyed in the past, but rarely eat now. Can any plant-based milk be used to make yogurt? Does anyone here make it? It sounds like a wonderful occasional dessert to have with some fresh fruit!

Michael
Chumly

Postby f1jim » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:12 am

JLD the one that's out of stock is the one I own. The 8quart model. We love it. It cleans up super easy, too. I have a feeling you7 can't lose with any of the brands mentioned here on the forum.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Vegankit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 am

Chumly wrote:It looks like a programmable pressure cooker is going to be my next purchase. I will look at them and determine what size I need and what kind of material(s) they are made of. I like the idea of being able to make yogurt. It is something I greatly enjoyed in the past, but rarely eat now. Can any plant-based milk be used to make yogurt? Does anyone here make it? It sounds like a wonderful occasional dessert to have with some fresh fruit!

Michael
Most of the recipes are using soy milk or at least part soy for yogurt. I'm not sure why but there might be a scientific reason why soy is the choice.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Next

Return to The Lounge