Why Feeding Veggies to your Dog is Important

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why Feeding Veggies to your Dog is Important

Postby BlueGene » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:22 am

SO IS IT A GOOD THING TO ONLY OFFER YOUR PET DRIED KIBBLE?

Not according to ongoing research it isn’t, especially with today’s cancer rates being 1 in 2 dogs!

In a 2005 study conducted at Purdue University on Scottish Terriers, the results showed that adding fresh vegetables to dry commercial kibble actually prevented and/or slowed down the development of transitional cell carcinoma (aka bladder cancer)!

In the study, dogs ate a diet of dry commercial pet food, while some got an assortment of vegetables added to the mix at least 3 times per week.

When the study was concluded, according to the researchers, they weren’t really shocked by the results.

Here’s what they found:

Dogs that ate any green leafy vegetables, like broccoli, had reduced the risk of developing bladder cancer by 90% and the dogs that consumed any yellow – orange vegetables like carrots reduced the risk by 70%!

Seriously! A lousy carrot helped smash the potential of cancer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16013542

So if the “cancer reducing benefit” doesn’t tickle your fancy enough to convince you to add any “human fresh foods” to your pet’s bowl, then maybe think of it this way:

How bad would it suck if someone forced you to eat dry processed foods your whole life!?

Rodney Habib - Pet Nutrition Blogger

"An educated, informed and well-researched community of pet owners can only put more pressure on the pet food industry to be better! When pet owners know better, they will only do better!"
Source: https://www.facebook.com/rodneyhabib/po ... 2675877028
BlueGene

Re: Why Feeding Veggies to your Dog is Important

Postby bbq » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Not trying to be mean at all but is it kinda hard to tell what n=1 means?

http://sci-hub.cc/10.2460/javma.2005.227.94
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16013542

bbq

Postby BlueGene » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:28 pm

You're so mean! ... just kidding ha ha!

Yeah, it looks like there were only 9 dogs altogether that ate greens 3 times a week. There were a lot more in the yellow-orange veggie group. I'd feed them both just to be on the safer side.
BlueGene

Postby veg tom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm buying carrots for duke on sunday
A is A
veg tom

Postby greensheep » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Haha, I guess my dog has been accidentally following this advice! She loves kale and all sorts of other greens, and she comes running from across the house when she hears someone open a banana. We came home one day to find she had hopped up into one of our raised garden beds and was polishing off a chocolate bell pepper. (We have since added better fencing.) Maybe she likes produce a little TOO much. :D
greensheep

Postby sirdle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:32 pm

greensheep wrote:...she comes running from across the house when she hears someone open a banana.

No THAT is good hearing! :shock:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Empty » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Dogs LOVE being given a raw carrot as a treat...
Empty

Postby Kaye » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:00 am

My lot get a raw mince mix which contains meat and vegetables

https://www.naturalinstinct.com/raw-tri ... y-dog-food

British beef green tripe (40%), British turkey with bone (40%), carrot, apple, butternut squash, spinach, sea kelp, Scottish salmon oil
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby mountain » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 am

I am feeding my dog a raw meat(plus fish, plus eggs) diet with boiled yams and veggies. If you feed like this you need to make sure veggies are ground up/ blended because otherwise they can't get any nutrition out of them. I blend zucchini, celery, carrots, broccoli and whatever else I can think of into a mush and then freeze it in small portions (I have a small dog, lol). She also loves banana, apples, mangoes, cucumber and blueberries and is the healthiest little thing I know!
mountain

Postby Jack Monzon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 pm

"Results suggest that consumption of certain vegetables may prevent or slow the development of TCC in Scottish Terriers."
Jack Monzon

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:12 pm

I just wanted to post a follow up to this thread. So I started feeding my dog veggies about 5 days per week. Usually broccoli, carrots, sometimes peas/corn/beans, etc, in addition to his commercial feed (organic food from Costco).

My dog is 7 years old (and a smaller breed) and has had some eye problems requiring eye drops, vet visits, etc. My dogs eye problems seem to be improving and he seems to be much more energetic in general. There is something to be said for feeding your dogs veg!
Drew_ab

Postby mountain » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 am

Great that the little one is feeling better.
Since you are already feeding veggies, why not move over to raw food? Mine gets ground up veg, potato (regular, yams, sweet potatoes) and a little bit of meat. She is doing wonderful, full of energy and never had a health problem since I have her.....which is 4 years now.
Remember....veggies need to be ground up fine for them to get any nutrients out.
mountain

Postby BlueGene » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 am

Drew_ab wrote:I just wanted to post a follow up to this thread. So I started feeding my dog veggies about 5 days per week. Usually broccoli, carrots, sometimes peas/corn/beans, etc, in addition to his commercial feed (organic food from Costco).

My dog is 7 years old (and a smaller breed) and has had some eye problems requiring eye drops, vet visits, etc. My dogs eye problems seem to be improving and he seems to be much more energetic in general. There is something to be said for feeding your dogs veg!

Great to hear! :)
BlueGene

Return to The Lounge