Vitamin D is Rat Poison

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin D is Rat Poison

Postby Alalu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Are you poisoning yourself? Do you drink store bought nut milks? If you drink anything that is vitamin d fortified, you are drinking rat poison. Cholecalciferol also known as vitamin D is also used as a rat poison. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/rodenticides.html

Cholecalciferol was first registered as a rodenticide in the United States in 1984.4 Cholecalciferol is vitamin D3.13 Vitamin D helps the body maintain calcium balance by enhancing absorption of calcium from the gut and kidneys.13 Toxic doses of cholecalciferol lead to too much calcium in the blood, which can affect the central nervous system, muscles, the gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, and the kidneys.13 The body's ability to maintain proper calcium levels must be overwhelmed before cholecalciferol becomes toxic. Rodents must eat several doses of this rodenticide.4 This causes a time lag between exposure and signs of toxicity.13 Although pets have gotten sick from eating cholecalciferol, poisonings of people are very rare.14

Cholecalciferol can be toxic from routine or one-time exposure.13 Signs in animals include weakness, depression, and loss of appetite. Signs progress to include vomiting, increased thirst, more frequent urination, dehydration, and constipation.13 Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and depression may develop within 12 to 36 hours after exposure and the kidneys may fail within one or two days. Survivors may have permanent damage to kidneys and muscles. Signs of poisoning may last for weeks because cholecalciferol can be stored in the body and its breakdown products are removed slowly.21 Exposed people experience unusual thirst and increased urination. They may suffer heart and kidney damage if the increase in calcium levels lasts long enough.14

It’s not very sunny today…. Where is that rat poison?....... Alalu
All truth passes through three stages.
First it is ridiculed.
Second it is violently opposed.
Third it is accepted as being self evident.
Author Schopenhauer.
Alalu

Re: Vitamin D is Rat Poison

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Very interesting. When my daughter got ahold of our liquid vit D and I called poison control, they were not concerned. When the same kid ate toothpaste, however, we received through counseling and follow-up phone calls from them. I'm not saying cholecalciferol is a health food, however, let's put this in perspective.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby brec » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Very uninteresting.

Wikipedia: "They [vitamins D, D3, D2] are toxic to rodents for the same reason they are important to humans"
brec

Postby Alalu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Very interesting. When my daughter got ahold of our liquid vit D and I called poison control, they were not concerned. When the same kid ate toothpaste, however, we received through counseling and follow-up phone calls from them. I'm not saying cholecalciferol is a health food, however, let's put this in perspective.

Yes perspective is good.... Speaking of toothpaste... did you know that The Germans first used fluoride on prisoners in their concentration camps? Here is quote from a passage:

It may surprise you to hear that apparently the first occurrence of purposefully putting sodium fluoride into drinking water took place in the German ghettos of the 30s and 40s, and shortly thereafter in Nazi concentration camps.* Clearly, the Nazis would not be concerned with the strength and resilience of their prisoners’ teeth; so, what could be the real reason to fluoridate the water? What effects does it really have upon us? And why are countries such as the United States still doing it? http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/08/22/f ... -will-act/

Here is some history of fluoride in the United States: http://www.apfn.org/apfn/flouride.htm

brec wrote:Very uninteresting.

Wikipedia: "They [vitamins D, D3, D2] are toxic to rodents for the same reason they are important to humans"

Maybe it should have been written like this: "They [vitamins D, D3, D2] are toxic to rodents for the same reason they are toxic to humans" ..... Alalu
Last edited by Alalu on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
First it is ridiculed.
Author Schopenhauer.
Alalu

Postby Dougalling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Uh Oh !
Dougalling

Postby Alalu » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 am

Dougalling wrote:Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Uh Oh !

Haha... and for the same reason chocolate can be toxic to humans also. But really everybody knows that chocolate itself is not toxic to dogs or humans.. But rather the alkaloid Theobromine in the chocolate that can be toxic to both dogs and humans.
...Alalu
First it is ridiculed.
Author Schopenhauer.
Alalu

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm

We don't use fluoridated toothpaste. The dentist put one of those sample tubes in my daughter's "goodie bag" with her toothbrush, unbeknownst to me. We were pretty unhappy about the whole thing.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to The Lounge