When Evidence Says No, But Doctors Say Yes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: When Evidence Says No, But Doctors Say Yes

Postby StarchHEFP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:12 am

brec wrote:
StarchHEFP wrote:...There is something called "proximate cause" that the lawyers use. The last possible step prior to the patient dying that involves medical decisionmaking, must be the cause of death. ...

Despite the ordinary meaning of the word "proximate," this is not what "proximate cause" means in law. In "proximate cause," "proximate" denotes logical or legal proximity, not chronological.
Proximate cause ... is not necessarily the closest cause in time or space nor the first event that sets in motion a sequence of events leading to an injury.
--http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/proximate+cause

(This has almost nothing to do with the topic.)

--brec, law school class of 2020

Actually, this has everything to do with the topic! Thank you so much for clarifying. No offense to you about my lawyer comments :)
StarchHEFP

Re: When Evidence Says No, But Doctors Say Yes

Postby StarchHEFP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:14 am

Skip wrote:
StarchHEFP wrote:Remember, the defense lawyers aren't paid that much, however the plaintiffs lawyers play a lottery every day.

I have personal relationships with a doctor whose reputation was at stake in a big $$ case and a medical malpractice lawyer who defends doctors. Both agree on the importance that the defense lawyer has. Both sides of the case brought in their "medical" experts to prove their case and the skill of the attorney to present a case to a jury was critical. Defense lawyers can make a very comfortable living.

Thank you for clarifying; I had the wrong perception about them.
StarchHEFP

Previous

Return to The Lounge