sun gazing?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

sun gazing?

Postby MikeInFL » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm

I find people on youtube who practice sun gazing- staring at the sun up to 45 minutes only during first hour of sunrise or last hour of sunset, claiming to achieve health benefits including needing to eat less. I'm trying to find real answers about this. The sun is a two-edge sword, it sustains all life on earth, yet it's power must be very respected. I wonder if anyone here knows anything about sun gazing.

Some claim many health benefits. This guy (you can find with a search) claims sun gazing:

1. Improved sight. I threw away my driving glasses..
2. Before looking at the Sun I had floaters in my eyes. They disappeared.
3. I healed my nerves and I threw away all my tablets,
4. Abnormally high mood and unexplainable happiness.
5. Perfect tranquillity and conviviality.
6. Feeling of having a "clear head", total peace of mind about everything.
7. Better sleep than ever before in my life. I fell asleep in literally one second.
8. Much shorter sleep than before. I got 5-6 hours of exceptional, quality sleep.
9. Always waking up before the Sun with an exceptionally good mood.
10. Joint pain in my legs and arms and back pain stopped.
11. Fear of death stopped.
12. Pressure returned to normal after 10 years and I used to take a daily cocktail of four different tablets.
13. I got greater vitality, became faster and more dexterous, like a young man even though I'm 57 years old...
14. My skin got younger. It tightened and became wrinkle-free.
15. Vitamin D returned to normal.
16. I lowered my food intake a lot,
17.(achieved) ideal weight
18. I cured my severe heart disease,
19. My prostrate returned to normal

and more health benefits...

plus many positive comments from sun gazers posted here:
https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/sun_gazing.html

Here's the thing. I do think the sun is a powerful healing force, and it's possible early humans evolved not just out in the sun, but looking at it in the morning and evening possibly day after day, all their lives. I think your skin cells are like little 'batteries' that kinda 'recharge' by the sun. As well as blood cells under the skin that sense the sun glow. All this is healthy (if not over done).

Well the youtube folks think sun gazing is 'recharging' your brain! Never heard that before! Well if you think about it, the eyes are indeed a part of the brain. And if humans evolved looking at sunrise and sunset daily, for eons, is this a lost health secret? If we 'forgot' how to eat whole foods, did we not also 'forget' how to live outside in nature and the sun? Watching sunrise/sunsets no one claims is bad. What's different is gazing at sunrise/sunset for up to 45 minutes. That sounds kind of ritualistic. However, today we look at tv's and pc screens ritually all day, did we once gaze at the sun for health?

No one suggests looking at the bright sun, it will damage your eyes. However, a 2013 study http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2324325/Do-environmentally-friendly-LED-lights-cause-BLINDNESS.html linked LED lights in bulbs, computers, cell phones, and TVs to increased risk of irreparable harm to the retina in the eye.

And the sunset and sunrise is not just a pretty thing to look at, like a painting, it's a pretty thing to look at that is sending rays of natural energy directly at us, and nothing else out there in nature is doing that. And, I think, we evolved watching the 'soft' natural light of the sunset/sunrise for eons.

I never heard about sun gazing before, and watching sunrise and sunsets is a very common thing people do all the time. But sun gazing is staring at the sun (only at sunrise or sunset) and that's very different, but claimed to be required to achieve health benefits. And health benefits posted by people at https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/sun_gazing.html can't be quickly dismissed.

By they way that guy who claimed all those health benefits I posted above, also then claimed sun gazing caused him to be possessed by the devil and no longer practices it! (however his spiritual life may have been messed up to begin with that allowed that to happen)

I think we did evolve watching and gazing at the natural light of sunrises/sunsets for eons, we certainly did not evolve gazing at artificial light like we do now. In the same way we evolved eating whole foods, not artificial foods.

A lot of people live complete long healthy lives without sun gazing. This is about those with health conditions seeking natural healing or natural ways to maintain health. (there's that word again- 'natural' which can be good or bad)

So I'm looking for the real answer to this, does the sunrise/sunset 'recharge' your brain or provide some kind of healing therapy because I do believe we've been gazing at the sunset/sunrise for eons. Maybe doing so did nothing whatsoever over eons of time and it was just a pretty thing to look at. Or is it a lost healthy practice, another thing we lost 'whole' in nature- natural light and a direct healthy energy into the brain, and we should be doing? I will continue to research this.
MikeInFL

Re: sun gazing?

Postby H2O » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:34 am

if you look for answers....

first, you need to be made aware what I say is not my own opinion but at least a five thousand year old and longer fact
no matter what neurologists say, no matter what all opponents say because they don't like it because they didn't discover it first.

so, here it goes, buckle up... Kansas is going bye bye...

The Earth has twice a day an electromagnetic wave oscillating just about before and just about at sunrise and sunset.
Lay lines are believed they conduct this electromagnetic pulse and produce at these times a much higher stimulation then outside lay lines. Furthermore, the sun at the given day time is about horizontal to the meditator or so to speak in sync with the chakras (Google for that).

We are energy, and therefore we conduct or sync with crystals, vibrations of all sort and the entire electromagnetic spectrum of which the sun is one of them and at those given day times the vibrations change producing a current. Ancient stone monuments like Stonehenge are built exactly at these lay lines, and the people who built it knew exactly what they were doing. Just because mainstream science has no answer doesn't make Stonehenge go away neither the question who made it.

I recommend you either stop right there and get the hell off the bandwagon or you open your eyes and study the subject by letting science off for a while when studying. Take it in small bits if you're new to this. Prepare yourself for a maze of weird looking things which might seem absurd for prolonged times but it all will make sense at the end (it's a long walk you walk alone, nobody will actually give you the answers, that's your job).

enjoy the ride
peace:)
sleepofflard.com is a fake website but you could try, though...
H2O

Postby Chikiwing » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 am

Sounds like nonsense to me.
“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby MINNIE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 am

It sounds like nonsense to me too.

But I am not a scientist and I'm just expressing a gut reaction.

If I really thought this idea had any potential, I would check with an ophthalmologist first.

I'd suggest you do the same.

Or, at the very least, look for other opinions before trying it.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/ ... asy-versu/
MINNIE

Postby H2O » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:04 am

MINNIE wrote:It sounds like nonsense to me too.

If I really thought this idea had any potential, I would check with an ophthalmologist first.

if you're concerned about health problems for taken sun gazing literally then use your iPhone and watch it on there
sun meditation is done with closed eyes
don't know where this comes from to look in the sun with open eyes - probably some trolls
H2O

Postby MikeInFL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am

MINNIE wrote:It sounds like nonsense to me too.

yes, always. However a lot of people's reaction to going vegan is their gut reaction that it's nonsense, and the science on veganism is not totally conclusive (because it would be unethical to raise people on a diet as an experiment).

I still consider WFPB as an 'alternative' health practice because it's so out of mains stream. But that doesn't mean it's not valid. We still live in the 'dark ages' of health science, because mainstream medical establishment wants it that way.
MikeInFL

Postby Dougalling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 am

1. Improved sight. I threw away my driving glasses..
2. Before looking at the Sun I had floaters in my eyes. They disappeared.
No. 1 & 2 Focusing afar then close will exercise your eye cones and may improve sight and get rid of floaters.

3. I healed my nerves and I threw away all my tablets,
7. Better sleep than ever before in my life. I fell asleep in literally one second.
8. Much shorter sleep than before. I got 5-6 hours of exceptional, quality sleep.
No. 3 to 9 Getting vitamin D by being outdoors will result in no. 3 through 9

10. Joint pain in my legs and arms and back pain stopped.
11. Fear of death stopped.
12. Pressure returned to normal after 10 years and I used to take a daily cocktail of four different tablets.
No. 10 to 11 Getting vitamin D, taking the time to relax daily, will result in no. 10 thru 12

13. I got greater vitality, became faster and more dexterous, like a young man even though I'm 57 years old...
No. 13 Getting more vitamin D and better sleep will result in no. 13

14. My skin got younger. It tightened and became wrinkle-free.
15. Vitamin D returned to normal.
16. I lowered my food intake a lot,
17.(achieved) ideal weight
18. I cured my severe heart disease,
19. My prostrate returned to normal

Numbers 14, 16 through 19 are probably lifestyle changes. No. 15 you get extra vitamin D just from being outdoors.

So, if you go outdoors daily and take the time to relax/meditate, numbers 1 through 13 and 15 are true. If you want to look at a lovely sunrise or sunset while doing so, go ahead.
Dougalling

Postby landog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 am

Dougalling wrote:3. I healed my nerves and I threw away all my tablets,
No. 3 to 9 Getting vitamin D by being outdoors will result in no. 3 through 9

Except that you do not get any vit D near dawn nor dusk.
landog

Postby MikeInFL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Now I find this, research finds the brain responds to light, and light can reach the brain coming in through the ear. A light-in-ear research found 50% reduction of seasonal affective disorder.

Between 2008-2010, Researchers at the University of Oulu , Finland,
discovered that in addition to eyes, areas of the human brain are also sensitive to light. This sensitivity is due to the photoreceptor-proteins in the brain, which are similar to those found in the eyes, a discovery that had been made by researchers in the U.K. and the U.S. 10 years earlier. University of Oulu researchers found that brain areas can be reached by light through ear canals, ear tissues and bone skull.

University of Oulu, Finland:

In all areas studied, the research located the protein encephalopsin (OPN3), a photosensitive receptor found in brains of both humans and mice. These receptors include the core areas of serotonin, dopamine production and storage and noradrenalin, which play key roles in regulation.

Earlight activates neural networks of the human brain
Bright light via the ear canal causes a biological response in the human brain neural networks as seen in the placebo-controlled, single blind, functional magnetic resonance imaging study, suggesting that the brain tissue is inherently light-sensitive. In the study conducted by the University of Oulu researchers, the human brain’s visual and sensomotor cortexes showed significant increased functional connectivity in the light group as compared to the placebo group...

https://www.humancharger.com/research/
MikeInFL

Postby human vegetable » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:52 pm

I also considered buying a set of these earlights - they are cheaper than light therapy goggles (I want sth portable I can use while moving around the house), and also seem more comfortable.

Yet then I came across this: http://ylioppilaslehti.fi/2014/11/let-there-be-valkee-how-a-finnish-startup-managed-to-fool-everyone/

When you google for "valkee scam", you come up with a lot of negative assessments of this product. The main criticism seems to be that all the cited studies have methodological flaws, and they were conducted by researchers with close ties to this company.

When you look at user reviews there are many positive ones and some negative ones. Still, smells like placebo to me. After shelling serious bucks on this I'd be very motivated to prove to myself that it was worth it, and posting a positive review praising my subjective improvement might be just the ticket.

If I had money to burn I might still get them one day. But what also keeps me from trying them is that the companies offering them here in Germany do nt offer any refund after trying them on even just once for "hygenic reasons". Makes you kind of wonder...
human vegetable

Postby H2O » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 am

you see, the problem isn't the scientific community standing against the valkee
if Tim Cook unwraps his EarPods with integrated iLight technology, sceptics wouldn't question it, no, they wouldn't leave the Apple conference without them.

Though it might seem iffy at first, I could imagine that it actually works to some extent
I will buy a set with the iPhone 12s, nothing is cooler than EarPods with disco lights ;)

peace
H2O

Postby bbq » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 am

bbq

Postby katgirl55 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Here is my crackpot response to this:

What if many avenues of belief are just templates that we use to direct the brain to tap into its resources? These resources are such things as the relaxation response, placebo effect, spontaneous healing, etc. So those who sun gaze, meditate or pray can all benefit in a similar way even if they get there in very different ways.

In general I am a skeptic, but I also know that our brains and the universe are both vast mysteries that we know little about. Just because our current science does not have all of the answers does not mean there are not answers to be found.

Two days ago my day at work was so full of stress that I came home and had achy joints and a headache. That night I had bad dreams full of anxiety. This is all from how my brain perceived my day to be - mental sabretooth tigers chasing me all day. There was no actual physical danger to me, but my thoughts and emotions were troubled and I had a physical response of pain. Since I know this to be true, I cannot dismiss the possibility of people staring at the sun and relaxing experiencing positive benefits.
katgirl55

Postby sirdle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:30 pm

katgirl55 wrote:What if many avenues of belief are just templates that we use to direct the brain to tap into its resources? These resources are such things as the relaxation response, placebo effect, spontaneous healing, etc. So those who sun gaze, meditate or pray can all benefit in a similar way even if they get there in very different ways.

Ooooooooh. :shock: That's very clever. :nod:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby H2O » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm

katgirl55 wrote:Here is my crackpot response to this:

These resources are such things as the relaxation response, placebo effect, spontaneous healing, etc

placebo effect is kinda interesting, isn't it?
I think it's a lazy label the white gods put on healing because they don't accept what the mind perception is capable of
... just my thoughts

So those who sun gaze, meditate or pray can all benefit in a similar way even if they get there in very different ways.

exactly, even with the placebo effect (which might be triggered because of sun gazing or other meditation techniques

you observe very well
keep up your open mind and use it in such ways to meditate and sun gaze because you only can benefit from it

peace ;)
H2O

Next

Return to The Lounge