How many McDougallers do we have...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How many McDougallers do we have...

Postby Hal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:57 pm

What would you estimate the number of Mcdougallers to be around the world and here in North America? At some point we should start showing up on the radar, but we need a lot of McDougallers to reach 300,000,000 people.
Hal

Re: How many McDougallers do we have...

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Based on the sales of the starch solution book, I would guess around 50,000 in america.
colonyofcells

Postby Wren » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 am

You can't base the number of people that follow the diet on the number of books sold
Wren

Postby Chikiwing » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 am

Between 5 and 10 thousand in North America. Practically non-existent in the rest of the world.
“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby Kaye » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 am

I recently completed the Plant Based Nutrition course run by eCornell and the T Colin Campbell centre for nutrition studies. On the first 2 week section of the course (Nutrition & Society) there were approx 200 participants and many were from different countries around the world including India, Thailand, UAE, South America and a few from Europe. They might not have been true "McDougall" followers but the vast majority were following a very similar diet rather than a junk food vegan type of diet. I was actually heartened and a little surprised at how many doctors and medical practitioners were taking part too.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby f1jim » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:21 am

When I started going to the ASW events in Santa Rosa there were no doctors attending. Just the occasional speaker with an M.D.
Now the speakers are mostly M.D.'s and there are always at least 5 doctors attending. Each of those doctors influence a lot of people. Their title carries weight with many people. It's encouraging to see changes in the medical profession as well as the culture at large.
Even the 16,000 plus people that have signed on to the boards here have something to talk about over dinner with others.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Dougalling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Someone, somewhere, started a world vegan count site.
It would be amazing to have a WFPb world count site, with subcounts of which diet is being followed,with a sub-sub counts if no oil/salt/sugar are being followed. Maybe include a country location count.
Dougalling

Postby jay kaye » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm

If you add up all of the various Facebook pages for all the plant based programs, I would estimate that total to be about 50,000. I would guess that world wide double that or about 100,000-150,000.

I followed Pritikin since about 1985 and Dr. Ornish about 1997. But I had never heard Dr. McDougall or Esselstyn until 2010 and that was becasue of Jeff Novick. My point is that quite a few people out there follow WFPB but do not identify with the word.

J
jay kaye

Postby pundit999 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:10 am

Since I was researching how to treat heart disease, Google quickly directed me to Dr Esselstyn and Dr Dean Ornish. I started following Dr Esselstyn's advice quickly. Within a few days, I came across this site and got to hear Dr McDougall's message. I eventually bought many of Dr McDougall's books.

It would be great if everybody who is considering a plants only diet got to know Dr McDougall. His books are written very well and his message is simple and common sense. And more importantly, his advice is much easier to follow long term. And it is much cheaper.

Instead of estimating how many McDougallers are there, a better count would be of people following a whole plants only diet with little added oil. I think based on how many copies Dr Greger has sold and how many Dr Esselstyn/Dr McDougall/Dr Neal Barnard/Dr Campbell etc have, the numbers will be in millions worldwide. More importantly, this is a growing population.

In India alone, there is this doctor: Dr. Bimal Chhajer. He has scores of centers all over India treating thousands of patients using the whole plants only diet. http://www.saaolheartcenter.com/about-dr-chhajer.php. I heard people in China are also hearing this life saving message.

Since many ancient and large civilizations (China/India/Africa for example) used to follow many tenets of this diet, they may start comprising larger and larger share of adherents of this diet as time goes on.
pundit999

Return to The Lounge