Completely Fell of wagon

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Completely Fell of wagon

Postby guitarplayer007 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:44 am

Not sure how people do this forever..... I need to find new things to eat and try again. I did about 4 months 99.9 compliant.
But last month or so really fell off and eating all kinds of crap :( Hunger/cravings are a very powerful thing!!!!!
I see Forks over Knives has a new home delivery plan where you get the ingredient's for each meal but you put it together and cook it. Might be a good way to try new things.
ken
guitarplayer007

Re: Completely Fell of wagon

Postby sirdle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:Not sure how people do this forever... But last month or so really fell off and eating all kinds of crap :( Hunger/cravings are a very powerful thing!!!!!

This may not be your natural inclination, but if you can manage it, you may find it very helpful:

Sit quietly for 5-10 minutes each day and reflect on why you fell off the wagon. Was it really cravings? Or was it boredom? Or lack of planning? Or having the wrong foods in the house? Or peer pressure from family or friends? Or stress? Or emotional 'unsettledness'. Or anxiety or fear?

Knowing more about the cause will help you develop strategies for handling this problem again the next time it comes around (and it will!). It will also help others to suggest strategies that have worked for them.

In the meantime, eat a nice baked potato. :nod:

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby guitarplayer007 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

sirdle wrote:
guitarplayer007 wrote:Not sure how people do this forever... But last month or so really fell off and eating all kinds of crap :( Hunger/cravings are a very powerful thing!!!!!

This may not be your natural inclination, but if you can manage it, you may find it very helpful:

Sit quietly for 5-10 minutes each day and reflect on why you fell off the wagon. Was it really cravings? Or was it boredom? Or lack of planning? Or having the wrong foods in the house? Or peer pressure from family or friends? Or stress? Or emotional 'unsettledness'. Or anxiety or fear?

Knowing more about the cause will help you develop strategies for handling this problem again the next time it comes around (and it will!). It will also help others to suggest strategies that have worked for them.

In the meantime, eat a nice baked potato. :nod:

Thank you,

What do you put on potatoes , I'm not into Salsa :(

Ken
guitarplayer007

Postby sirdle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:20 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:What do you put on potatoes , I'm not into Salsa :(

I love salsa so I don't experiment with many different toppings. I have tried Cathy Fisher's broccoli sauce, though. It was okay, but I like salsa better.

You might take a look at Cathy Fisher's Stuffed Baked Potato page for a few ideas. :nod:

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby patty » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:27 am

Slipping is the nature of the disease. Addiction is a disease that tells the addict they don't have a disease. I started out with Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live program, though I was familiar with Dr. McDougall from decades earlier. I had no problem I lost a hundred pounds just by following the basic program, then someone I was caregiving began to pass from not eating. I began to eat their favorites so they would eat. I regained the 100 pounds. I realized I need group support so I joined Dr. Fuhrman's site. And It worked again, but I was still projecting my hunger. I was shopping, prepping, cooking and storing, I was exhausted. Someone on Dr. Fuhrman's site mentioned Jeff Novick's Fast Food Vol 1 Basics video, where you prepped and cooked the meals in 10 to 20 minutes with the cost of 3 or 4 dollars a day. And Jeff Novick was on Dr. McDugall's site that you could access for free.

People equate time and money And the paradigm shift happen where there was a 180 degree turn, because food and money came together. I was no longer projecting my scarcity to myself and those around me. Food and money were no longer like musical chairs, there is enough for everybody. My fear of people, places and things was replaced with a new freedom. But it wasn't done alone, it was with the people on these forums. My obsession with food is still active, but in healthy away that crates a PEACE that I could never imagine. As Dr. McDougall shares the fat you eat is the fat you wear. The learning curve is very deep. So hang in there. Once the processed food is omitted, the cravings leave, like the darkness leaving when a light is turned on. You are that LIGHT body. The Light that is before daylight and night. That is what everybody sees, and you don't want to cast a shadow by hiding who you truly are. Starch works! We are a work in progress one bite at a time. I am You!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 am

sirdle wrote:
guitarplayer007 wrote:What do you put on potatoes , I'm not into Salsa :(

I love salsa so I don't experiment with many different toppings. I have tried Cathy Fisher's broccoli sauce, though. It was okay, but I like salsa better.

You might take a look at Cathy Fisher's Stuffed Baked Potato page for a few ideas. :nod:

Wow.. what a great site.

Mahalo for posting, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 am

sirdle wrote:
guitarplayer007 wrote:Sit quietly for 5-10 minutes each day and reflect on why you fell off the wagon. Was it really cravings? Or was it boredom? Or lack of planning? Or having the wrong foods in the house? Or peer pressure from family or friends? Or stress? Or emotional 'unsettledness'. Or anxiety or fear?

In addition, at least as important, reflect on how/why you "woke up" and realized you were not where you wanted to be and started to bring yourself back in alignment. Find what has worked and is working and focus on that!

Potato toppings besides salsa...mustard, sprinkle of nutritional yeast, sautéed mushrooms and onions, any no-fat salad dressing, refried beans, any no-fat gravy or sauce...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:54 am

I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I honestly believe it can be useful to understand that our behaviors are our own, our thoughts are our own, and our momentum is our own.

Meaning: there are no cravings, there is no wagon, there is just US and what we choose to think about ourselves and our food.

When we start to adopt the language of "the dog ate my homework", we are really just playing into the powerlessness that the diet industry and the medical complex has chosen for us. It is, of course, TOTAL bullcrap.

What I mean is that the language that there is some kind of volition outside of ourselves that would like to eat a donut -- well, NO, there's NOT. Our volition is purely our own. There is nothing in our field of volition that we didn't put there or allow there. If WE (consciously or unconsciously) start to think, "I would like to gobble some donuts and am willing to start myself down the path of addiction, compulsion and ill health", then we will in fact go down that path. But we cannot blame "cravings" as though they are entities that do not obey us. Every single action we take, is our own, driven by our own volition.

Re "the wagon" -- our momentum is our own. Our momentum is a string of behaviors that we have chosen. There is no conveyor belt that was every carrying us along toward good health, and there is no conveyor belt that carries us to our demise. There is just us, and our choices.

Our brains are a place where only we get to think the thoughts. There is no one else but us. No one can undermine our thoughts or beliefs when they are positive. No one can implant thoughts or beliefs that are destructive.

Just us! Of course the diet industry loves it when we give our power over to "the cravings" and "the wagon" but screw that! We are smarter.

Start doing the things and thinking the thoughts that help you feel good, emotionally and physically. You can implement wonderful patterns, if you want to implement such a thing. :)
roundcoconut

Postby guitarplayer007 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 am

I'm trying to reverse my heart disease and I'm so pissed off...... My issues to began with I don't like most things, so even though McDougall worked for 4 months I was basically living on Corn on the Cob, sweet potatoes, pancakes, bean burgers..I think that's it for meals that I actually ate...I'm so annoyed, I don't want to be cooking all the time, but I have no choice I have to start again because my Angina is getting worse which only shows itself via pressure in my face.

ken
guitarplayer007

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:33 am

Ken, have you seen Jeff Novick's SNAP meals? Fast, simple, easy, and low cost as well as great variety!

SNAP Meals

Basically you use all frozen veg (they come prepped and ready to cook) just cut open bag and dump variety in pot, add precooked starch like Success brown rice, or frozen sweet potato, etc, tomato sauce if you like it, and some spice blend like Mrs Dash or my favorite, curry powder, simmer a few minutes and dig in. Total time 10-15 minutes and the only waste is the pkgs.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby sirdle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:I'm trying to reverse my heart disease and I'm so pissed off...... My issues to began with I don't like most things, so even though McDougall worked for 4 months I was basically living on Corn on the Cob, sweet potatoes, pancakes, bean burgers..I think that's it for meals that I actually ate...I'm so annoyed, I don't want to be cooking all the time, but I have no choice I have to start again because my Angina is getting worse which only shows itself via pressure in my face.

ken

You don't have to cook all the time... but you will have to spend considerable time (initially) finding things that you like. If you don't, your boredom with the ways things taste and your anger will defeat you.

There are literally hundreds of options within the veggie, starchy veggie, fruit, grain, and legume food categories. To start with, you may have to try a dozen things before you find one that you like. This will be time consuming and expensive. Keep at it. Think of it as badly needed research. Once you have a wider selection of foods that you really like, you can then focus on ways to eat those foods less expensively and with a minimum cooking/prep time.

You can do this! :nod:

Just my two cents worth.

sirdle

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:10 pm

roundcoconut wrote:I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I honestly believe it can be useful to understand that our behaviors are our own, our thoughts are our own, and our momentum is our own.

roundcoconut, I so agree with this. Are we driving the ship or is the ship driving us? Once we decide the ship is driving us, we give up our will and feel powerless. To decide that we are the driver empowers us to be in control. How do we label ourselves? Are you someone who suffers from cravings, or are you someone who eats well and gets a craving now and then? Maybe change your dialog with yourself and your patterns will also change.

ken, what types of SAD food did/do you eat? It can be jarring to go from eating pizza and burgers to a plain potato. In my case, I love Mexican and Asian flavors, so my WFPB food tends to be in this milieu. I have been eating simple rice bowls and tacos lately. Do you like soups? Chili? You can throw these on a potato or some rice. Do you like sandwiches? Do you like cereal for breakfast? If you aren't eating stuff you like it can get old real quick.
katgirl55

Postby f1jim » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Some people find that they have to go 100% to beat the cravings.
If you sample the bad stuff it keeps it's grip on you and your body never fully acclimates to the healthy foods. I know you said you were 99% compliant but I never veer from the plan and can't honestly claim 99% adherence. Eating out, eating at frinds and family, anything that you don't have 100% control of will almost always have non compliant stuff in it. Add whatever cheats you allow and then go back and do the math.
Some of us have to eliminate almost everything to get the taste buds reconditioned. That's why facilities like True North are around. Water fast for a time and your taste buds reset quickly.
I am sure you feel you are doing quite a bit but try going all in. Really all in. Get everything out of your house that's off plan and dive in. It's what many of us had to do to get over the hump.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby guitarplayer007 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:46 pm

katgirl55 wrote:
roundcoconut wrote:I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but I honestly believe it can be useful to understand that our behaviors are our own, our thoughts are our own, and our momentum is our own.

roundcoconut, I so agree with this. Are we driving the ship or is the ship driving us? Once we decide the ship is driving us, we give up our will and feel powerless. To decide that we are the driver empowers us to be in control. How do we label ourselves? Are you someone who suffers from cravings, or are you someone who eats well and gets a craving now and then? Maybe change your dialog with yourself and your patterns will also change.

ken, what types of SAD food did/do you eat? It can be jarring to go from eating pizza and burgers to a plain potato. In my case, I love Mexican and Asian flavors, so my WFPB food tends to be in this milieu. I have been eating simple rice bowls and tacos lately. Do you like soups? Chili? You can throw these on a potato or some rice. Do you like sandwiches? Do you like cereal for breakfast? If you aren't eating stuff you like it can get old real quick.

Well after I had a stent put in 2009 , I still eating chicken, turkey, the occasional Hamburger...On weekend I would eat chips, popcorn, pretzels, Ice cream.... I never ate Pizza lol
guitarplayer007

Postby guitarplayer007 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:47 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Ken, have you seen Jeff Novick's SNAP meals? Fast, simple, easy, and low cost as well as great variety!

SNAP Meals

Basically you use all frozen veg (they come prepped and ready to cook) just cut open bag and dump variety in pot, add precooked starch like Success brown rice, or frozen sweet potato, etc, tomato sauce if you like it, and some spice blend like Mrs Dash or my favorite, curry powder, simmer a few minutes and dig in. Total time 10-15 minutes and the only waste is the pkgs.

No I don't, but will check it out. I even spoke to vegan chef to see if she could help me find things I like.....
Ken
guitarplayer007

Next

Return to The Lounge