The Flu

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Flu

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:02 am

Got a call from my doctor's office. They do this every year. WOuld you like to come in for your flu shot?
No, I said. I think I will try to dodge this bullet. (I am 66 yoa)

2 days later, I start feeling peckish.
Today, it hit me like a Mack truck.

That's it. It's the flu vaccine for me from hereon in. No matter how healthy or cocky I feel about my excellent blood work or compliance with the food.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: The Flu

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 am

Because of my history of asthma and auto-immune diseases I need to get the vaccine every year, and did so again this November. 3 weeks later, like the rest of my family, I got hit with it. In fact, we passed it around twice more since then, and we're still not 100% over it. I was the only one vaccinated and got hit the worst.

I guess it was a different strain than what was included in the vaccine, so getting the yearly shot is no guarantee you won't get what's currently going around. This isn't the first year this has happened to me.
VeggieSue

Re: The Flu

Postby f1jim » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:45 pm

That's the problem with the flu vaccine. Sometimes it's faily effective on the strains making the rounds. Sometimes, like last year, it was particularly ineffective and providing protection. The vacines are developed long before the flu season starts and they are making educated guesses about what strains will be troublesome. It's hit or miss.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge