Popeye was right

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Popeye was right

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 pm

I was thinking, as I ate potato spinach curry for lunch, about the old Popeye cartoons. Not the fast food chain, but Popeye the sailor man, who would slam a can of spinach and instantly gain strength and bulk. I recalled Dr. Greger's videos about nitrates in veggies and their effects on nitric oxide and arterial function. While beets got the fame, other veggies like arugula and SPINACH were also high. Bodybuilders often take pre-workout supplements that affect nitric oxide in order to get a better "pump."

So, Popeye was right, though the cartoon exaggerated a process that takes couple of hours into a couple of seconds.

BTW:
Anybody else freaked out that his forearms were way bigger than his upper arms?
vgpedlr

Re: Popeye was right

Postby sirdle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:35 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Anybody else freaked out that his forearms were way bigger than his upper arms?

Weren't his calves bigger than his thighs, too? (I can't remember. :oops: )
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby JuicerJohn » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:37 pm

"Popeye was right"

Was there ever any doubt?
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Popeye's bod

Looks like pretty big calves to me!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby darad » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:08 am

Did Popeye have any idea spinach was #2, right next to #1 kale for highest anti-oxidants etc?

And his girl friend was not coincidentally, Olive Oil.

Of course, WE KNOW that olive oil is bad for our diet, as much as other oils! Now if his girl friend was named Kale, then we know they knew something well ahead of the times.
darad

Postby Dougalling » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:23 am

lol Olive Oyl ... loved her
Dougalling

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:38 am

Faith in DC has always had Popeye as her avatar. SHE knew!

VeggieSue

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:48 am

The Oyl family are not who you would want to spend any time with but Olive herself is just another high fat gal er, um, food. Well, she is a bit too salty for frequent exposure.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby dynodan62 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:55 am

Canned shredded spinach made me gag when I was a child. Even if Superman & Batman too had stopped to eat some before performing their 'super' crime fighting stunts, I STILL wouldn't have eaten any!
Now if someone instead had given me a taste of a fresh spinach salad sprinkled with aged balsamic, dried raspberries & sliced roasted almonds, I might have had a different attitude.
dynodan62

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:08 am

dynodan62 wrote:Canned shredded spinach made me gag when I was a child. Even if Superman & Batman too had stopped to eat some before performing their 'super' crime fighting stunts, I STILL wouldn't have eaten any!
Now if someone instead had given me a taste of a fresh spinach salad sprinkled with aged balsamic, dried raspberries & sliced roasted almonds, I might have had a different attitude.

I have always and still do find pretty much all canned vegetables disgusting. Some done "homestyle" in glass are "just ok". Frozen is pretty reasonable though still not up with fresh as to flavor and texture. Just my hippy aesthetics I reckon.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Quinda » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:46 am

I agree. Fresh is the only way to go. I wouldn't eat it as a kid either. Canned is slimy and it stinks. I did not try collards fresh until pretty late in life. Pressure cooked. Does spinach fresh cooked taste sort of like collards and is the consistency sort of like collards? I want to try spinach but I have always selected collards because I know I will eat them.
Quinda

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:56 am

Spinach has much milder, more subtle flavor than collards and is much much "softer". I like both, a lot!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
BTW:
Anybody else freaked out that his forearms were way bigger than his upper arms?

Have you ever seen this? Look at the upper arms.

http://syntholfreaks.net/

I think there are some people who are mentally ill. Why would anyone do this to themselves? It looks like you have tumors growing in your upper arms. Yikes!

http://www.trashytimes.com/dailytrash/synthol-freaks/
Poison Ivy

Return to The Lounge