Instant Pot

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Instant Pot

Postby Quinda » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

I have two. Pinto beans are delicious if you do not soak them, just rinse and cook 60 minutes. To make wild rice blend not clump I allow it to cool in the open pot for an hour or so prior to storing in frig. Before I did not like collard greens but now I love them fixed in the IP. Vegetable soup is great too.
Quinda

Re: Instant Pot

Postby LuckyMomma » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:52 pm

How do you cook your collard greens in the instant pot?

Do your beans come out perfect and unbroken?
LuckyMomma

Postby roundcoconut » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Whoah! 60 minutes for your pinto beans?

I am doing 35 minutes, and think that makes REALLY soft beans. Not soaking them. Releasing pressure immediately. Eating right away.

I wonder if you can back off on your cooking time??? Not that you need to do so for any health reasons or anything, just that maybe your meals get made quicker that way!
roundcoconut

Postby Quinda » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 am

Collard greens, fresh whole bag crammed to the brim of the stainless liner. 1 cup water. About 20 minutes because I like them very soft. I started with less time and worked up to that.

Pinto beans I get seem to take longer than other beans for some reason. They stay firm and never break or crack. I leave the pot on the counter to depressurize naturally. They keep hot until lunch that way if I start them late morning. One thing I love about IP is easy clean up. If you don't let off the pressure everything on the lid, no matter how full, is just clean water. I never had to remove the silicone things on the lid to clean up. Just wipe off with clean towel while hot.
Quinda

Postby MINNIE » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 am

My pinto beans also take longer -also about 60 minutes . Other beans seem to cook in the times given in the IP manual.

I'm not usually in enough of a hurry to care though. I cook one big batch of beans for the week. So an extra 30 minutes or so doesn't bother me , and the beans are sooo delicious:)
MINNIE

Postby Quinda » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:36 am

Perfectly stated, thanks Minnie!
Quinda

Postby Timaca » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:38 pm

I love my Instant Pot too! And while I don't have 2 of them, I do have two inner pots and one glass lid, so it's almost like having two! :)

I'm amazed at how little time it takes you all to cook your unsoaked beans. I soak my beans, and still it takes me quite awhile to cook them. Soaked pinto beans takes me 52 minutes! But, I live at 7000 feet so that is the difference. I wonder if elevation is also the difference in the cooking time between roundcoconut and Quinda's cooking times! :?:

I've cooked quite a few varieties of beans (from Rancho Gordo). The times are on my blog post in the notes section if interested.

Happy Instant Pot bean cooking! :-D
Timaca

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm also at elevation (about 7,000 feet also), and thought I was way overdoing it with the beans! The recommended time that I found online said about 30 minutes for beans, so I added five minutes and never even considered going any higher.

Come to think of it, I once bought a batch of black beans, and they still had some firmness when the timer went off, and so I assumed they were bad old beans and should never again purchase beans from that store. So that is a big lesson to me, that I may need greater cooking time, for certain beans!
roundcoconut

Postby Chumly » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:29 am

Elevation won't make any difference in a pressure cooker. It only makes a difference if you're boiling on the stove in ambient conditions. At 7,000 feet, water boils at 199.2°F.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Timaca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:49 pm

My experience cooking beans, sweet potatoes and winter squashes, is the cooking time is much increased at elevation. I take my IP with me on road trips and always have to reduce my cooking times when I am at a lower elevation. I've found the cooking times, especially for beans, is WAY higher than any chart I've seen. Including this one: http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pres ... king-time/

Best,
Timaca

Postby calvin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:27 pm

i googled "pressure cooking at altitude"

http://www.fagoramerica.com/about_us/ar ... re_cooking

scroll down a little past half way
calvin

Return to The Lounge