36 hours worth of food-no fridge, no hot water

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 36 hours worth of food-no fridge, no hot water

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:24 pm

If you have a a thermos, make yourself some nice hot soup for when you get really cold. Bake some potatoes and/or sweet potatoes and wrap them in a towel. Then put the towel wrapped potatoes in a plastic bag. They will stay warm for a real long time. You might also want to make the No-fu loaf http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/dreenas-no-fu-love-loaf.html, which is my very favorite meatless loaf. I always add some chopped onion and celery or bell peppers to the recipe and skip the ketchup topping, but that's up to you. It tastes good hot or cold in a sandwich or just by itself. Slice some and wrap in plastic. You can use those thermal lunch bags to keep things hot or cold. Also, bring a few pieces of fruit.

Also, Lara Bars are compliant. At least most of them are.

Have a great time. I'll be with you in spirit.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby patty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:30 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
Make your own rice cakes like Allen Lim/Chef Biju Thomas started for pro cyclists. Sweet or savory, anything you like cooked up and chopped small to mix with cooked rice. Here's how do them:
https://trainingtableblog.wordpress.com ... ice-cakes/
I've made a bunch over the years for myself and others. Pizza flavor, sesame ginger, curry, breakfast (tofu scramble), cacao berry, fig nut . . . anything goes really.

A musubi press would work great with recipes. They use brown rice in the islands and wrap the musubi with Saran Wrap. They don't fall apart as the wrapper helps to hold them in place.
https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Sales-HSK5 ... B000FWOB5S

I will have to make some to see how they do. Just have to pick up some nori sheets. The rice and beans sound great for the satiety. I had picked up the musubi press before when you posted the link. They would be a great share.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby bebe » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm

A favorite snack for me is dry rolled oats, moistened with water almost to cover, and topped with a sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds. Rolled oats have already been cooked in order to roll them. They are chewy for a minute, and they soften up quite fast. Filling and easy to transport dry oats and water separately. It does sound crazy, but I've been eating them this way for years.
bebe

Postby Skip » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:17 pm

The march may not happen (at least at the Lincoln Memorial)
http://time.com/4595399/women-march-was ... -memorial/

What will the march accomplish?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby f1jim » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:27 am

My long gone sushi place in Palo Alto always used brown rice. I never knew what kind it was but I assume it was a brown sticky rice. It behaved just like regular white sushi rice in terms of it's cling and binding. They closed a few months ago and I am quite sad. The owner retired and no one stepped up to take over. He had an awesome veggie sushi menu.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Jenna » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 am

Potatoes microwaved and stored in a ziploc bag travel quite well. Also, Starbucks oatmeal is made with water and is on plan if you get desperate for something hot. The toppings may not be on plan, but the basic oatmeal is. Another thought is that a place like Starbucks or another coffee place will give you hot water. I do this all the time when traveling because I tend to get cold in airports, and I don't drink coffee or tea, but if you brought something that needed hot water added to it, you could probably find hot water at one of these places. Quaker or Earthbound Farms (if you want heartier) rice cakes with peanut/almond butter can be made ahead of time and put back into their bag, with peanut butter sides facing each other to decrease mess in the bag. You could also pack snack sized bags of veggies, like carrots or celery (but maybe they're not worth the weight).

Good luck and thank you for your activism! As a woman, I am glad to see women standing up and saying that we are not okay with what is happening. With 3 tiny kids, etc, this is not really an option for me, so it warms my heart to see others stepping up to make our voices heard. Thank you, truly!
Jenna

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:36 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:You might try sweet brown rice. It's sticky. Bob's Red Mill has a sticky brown rice.
http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php/ca ... ew/id/2774
http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/brown-sweet-rice

I have the Bob's Red Mill, but it doesn't come out very sticky. Well, I'll try a few things ahead of time. They will be good for kayaking day trips, too!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:40 am

viv wrote:I like peanut jelly sandwiches for easy transport and no mess eating. I use ezekial bread with peanuts only peanut butter and all fruit spread. I cut the sandwiches into quarters so it's easy to reach into your packback and pull out a small bitesize sandwich while marching along. OMG there is no cold like the Washington DC cold in the dead of winter. When I first came to this area from California I thought I would die. You will need the extra fat and calories in the Peanut butter to help prevent hypothermia! Be careful out there, when it gets that cold people here are advised to stay indoors.

I'm getting prepared--got a new coat and will be layering big-time. The big steel-toed boots I wear to trim horses (I'm a barefoot hoof trimmer) are big enough to fit in 2 pairs of wool sox and foot warmers. I have a glove/mitten/handwarmer combo that works well, and my kayaking pogies and balaclava.

But I don't do peanut butter. Eating fat doesn't keep you warm -- carbs do! So that's what I'll be relying on. :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:If you have a a thermos, make yourself some nice hot soup for when you get really cold. Bake some potatoes and/or sweet potatoes and wrap them in a towel. Then put the towel wrapped potatoes in a plastic bag. They will stay warm for a real long time. You might also want to make the No-fu loaf http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/dreenas-no-fu-love-loaf.html, which is my very favorite meatless loaf. I always add some chopped onion and celery or bell peppers to the recipe and skip the ketchup topping, but that's up to you. It tastes good hot or cold in a sandwich or just by itself. Slice some and wrap in plastic. You can use those thermal lunch bags to keep things hot or cold. Also, bring a few pieces of fruit.

That loaf looks fabulous!! Gonna try that for sure.
Also, Lara Bars are compliant. At least most of them are.

Well, I guess technically. But lots of nuts. Better for backup than Clif bars though, probably! :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:46 am

I knew Jim was going to chime in against my white rice.

These rice cakes aren't sushi. There is no wrapper to hold them together. Even using short to medium grain white rice, they will still begin to fall apart when you unwrap them, decreasing their portability and convenience factor. It's true that I want them more compact so they hold up in my jersey pockets on long training rides and races, but I still have to stop to manipulate and eat them.

I've made many hundreds of these. White rice works best. Short or medium grain.
vgpedlr

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 am

Skip wrote:The march may not happen (at least at the Lincoln Memorial)
http://time.com/4595399/women-march-was ... -memorial/

What will the march accomplish?

Oh, it's happening. There is no doubt about that. The permit is not in doubt--just the Lincoln Memorial part. Which is, of course, one more attempt on the part of That Creature to abridge the rights of citizens.

It will accomplish what all marches accomplish--making our presence known and our opinions heard. Making it clear that the rights of women, people of color, the LGBTQ population, immigrants, the disabled, etc. are important and that we will not allow the future administration to trample them. Making it clear that WE ARE HERE and WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE. And all in pink pussyhats. :-) I'm working on my 3rd right now.

https://www.pussyhatproject.com/

If anyone here knits, please get started! :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:49 am

Jenna wrote:Another thought is that a place like Starbucks or another coffee place will give you hot water. I do this all the time when traveling because I tend to get cold in airports, and I don't drink coffee or tea, but if you brought something that needed hot water added to it, you could probably find hot water at one of these places.

True--and I do that when travelling all the time. I'm just seeing myself in a sea of people, unable to leave my group to get to a Starbucks LOL. I will take some soups in baggies and something to put water in just in case, b/c something hot would be GREAT.
Good luck and thank you for your activism! As a woman, I am glad to see women standing up and saying that we are not okay with what is happening. With 3 tiny kids, etc, this is not really an option for me, so it warms my heart to see others stepping up to make our voices heard. Thank you, truly!

I will march for you! If you knit, make some pussyhats! :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 am

vgpedlr wrote:I knew Jim was going to chime in against my white rice.

These rice cakes aren't sushi. There is no wrapper to hold them together. Even using short to medium grain white rice, they will still begin to fall apart when you unwrap them, decreasing their portability and convenience factor. It's true that I want them more compact so they hold up in my jersey pockets on long training rides and races, but I still have to stop to manipulate and eat them.

I've made many hundreds of these. White rice works best. Short or medium grain.

I am not against white rice. :) I make brown mostly at home, but most of the sushi around here is white rice, so I have it not infrequently. I may experiment with the Bob's Red Mill, since I have it already, though. :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby f1jim » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 am

I'm not either. I prefer the more nutritious and less processed rice, though.
The key is that in a survey of thousands of VW bus owners brown rice is the preferred rice!
Don't swim upstream.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:59 am

f1jim wrote:I'm not either. I prefer the more nutritious and less processed rice, though.
The key is that in a survey of thousands of VW bus owners brown rice is the preferred rice!
Don't swim upstream.

Well, the fact is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE white Jasmine rice LOL. I don't buy it often b/c I know brown is better for me, but I like white more. :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge